Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Two babies shot in shooting rampage as gunman ‘kills his parents and wounds four others including seven-month-old son’

    The inside story of Pep Guardiola’s decision to quit Man City: Why he’s chosen to go now, the holiday where he made up his mind and the clues his reign was coming to an end

    Fijian migrant defends One Nation leader Pauline Hanson on SBS Insight

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»Sports»ICC hands down verdict on MCG pitch with Cricket Australia set to lose millions after Boxing Day Test debacle
    Sports

    ICC hands down verdict on MCG pitch with Cricket Australia set to lose millions after Boxing Day Test debacle

    Papa LincBy Papa LincDecember 29, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read5 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    ICC hands down verdict on MCG pitch with Cricket Australia set to lose millions after Boxing Day Test debacle
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    By ED CARRUTHERS, ASSISTANT SPORTS EDITOR, AUSTRALIA

    Published: 03:16 EST, 29 December 2025 | Updated: 03:40 EST, 29 December 2025

    The MCG has been handed one demerit point after the ICC deemed the pitch that was used during the Boxing Day Test match ‘unsatisfactory’.

    In his assessment of the wicket, Jeff Crowe of the ICC’s Elite Panel of Match Referees echoed the views of many players past and present, stating that the pitch had been prepared ‘too much in favour of the bowlers’.

    Players, fans and pundits have been queuing up to criticise how the wicket had been prepared, with England wrapping up a four-wicket victory inside just two days.

    Twenty wickets fell on the first day of the match, with this also being the shortest-ever Test hosted at the MCG since 1932.

    ‘The MCG pitch was [prepared] too much in favour of the bowlers,’ Mr Crowe said when handing down his verdict.

    ‘With 20 wickets falling on the first day, 16 on the second day and no batter even reaching a half-century, the pitch was “unsatisfactory” as per the guidelines and the venue gets one demerit point.’

    It is now being reported by The Sydney Morning Herald that Cricket Australia could lose up to $25million (£12.43m) in revenue after the Boxing Day Test ended prematurely. 

    ICC hands down verdict on MCG pitch with Cricket Australia set to lose millions after Boxing Day Test debacle

    Stakeholders and broadcasters have been left ‘fuming’ following the match, with Cricket Australia CEO Todd Greenberg telling SEN on Saturday that ‘short Tests were bad for business’. Greenberg also hinted that the governing body could pay closer attention to how pitches are prepared in future. 

    On Sunday, Melbourne Cricket Club curator Matt Page fronted the media to claim that he and his team had got the preparations wrong, adding that he had been ‘in a state of shock’. 

    While batters on both sides have been slammed for poor performances during the match, curators had left 10mm of grass on the wicket, resulting in 36 wickets falling across 142 overs across both days. The highest score from both teams was struck by Aussie star Travis Head, who amassed 46 runs during Australia’s second innings. 

    ‘I was in a state of shock after the first day, to see everything that happened and 20 wickets in a day, I’ve never been involved in a Test match like it, and hopefully will never be involved in a Test match like it again,’ Page said.

    ‘It was a roller-coaster ride for two days to see everything unfold.’

    Page defended the decision to leave 10mm of grass on the wicket. 

    ‘This year we went in with 10mm as we knew we were going to get a lot of hot weather at the back end of the game,’ he said.

    During last year’s Boxing Day Test, curators had left only 7mm of grass on the wicket, with Australia going on to seal a thrilling victory against India on the fifth day of the Test match.

    More to follow…

    Share or comment on this article:
    ICC hands down verdict on MCG pitch with Cricket Australia set to lose millions after Boxing Day Test debacle



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleFrom buying sperms to sleeping with dead bodies
    Next Article Deathbed marriages soaring in popularity: More couples saying ‘I do’ at end of life to avoid hefty inheritance tax bills
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    The inside story of Pep Guardiola’s decision to quit Man City: Why he’s chosen to go now, the holiday where he made up his mind and the clues his reign was coming to an end

    May 19, 2026

    Departing Man City boss Pep Guardiola tells the club and fans he does NOT expect any lasting tributes on final game of the season against Aston Villa: ‘When you’re old, you can look at the memories’

    May 19, 2026

    Groveling baseball star who screamed vulgar response at female fan breaks his silence on viral incident

    May 19, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025139 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026119 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025102 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202671 Views
    Don't Miss
    International May 19, 2026

    Two babies shot in shooting rampage as gunman ‘kills his parents and wounds four others including seven-month-old son’

    By TARYN KAUR PEDLER, FOREIGN NEWS REPORTER Published: 03:41 EDT, 19 May 2026 | Updated:…

    The inside story of Pep Guardiola’s decision to quit Man City: Why he’s chosen to go now, the holiday where he made up his mind and the clues his reign was coming to an end

    Fijian migrant defends One Nation leader Pauline Hanson on SBS Insight

    Departing Man City boss Pep Guardiola tells the club and fans he does NOT expect any lasting tributes on final game of the season against Aston Villa: ‘When you’re old, you can look at the memories’

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Two babies shot in shooting rampage as gunman ‘kills his parents and wounds four others including seven-month-old son’

    The inside story of Pep Guardiola’s decision to quit Man City: Why he’s chosen to go now, the holiday where he made up his mind and the clues his reign was coming to an end

    Fijian migrant defends One Nation leader Pauline Hanson on SBS Insight

    Most Popular

    Melbourne mother-of-two allegedly stabbed to death in front of three teens in Bayswater by her neighbour is identified

    November 17, 20240 Views

    ‘I don’t see anyone, I’m like John Cena’

    November 17, 20240 Views

    ‘Bloody Joe’ Biden has taken ‘big step towards WW3’ with decision to let Kyiv strike inside Russia with long-range missiles, Moscow declares as officials threaten ‘harshest response’ and warn UK and France not to follow suit

    November 18, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.