An Iraqi national secretly knew about plans to attack the Heaton Park Synagogue but did not tell police, a court heard.
Hekmat Omar Ali Hakim, who previously entered the UK illegally, was said to have been a close associate of terrorist Jihad Al-Shamie, and met several times before the 35-year-old Syrian-born British citizen struck on October 2 last year.
Al-Shamie drove into the gates of the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue and launched a knife attack which left Melvin Cravitz and Adrian Daulby dead. Several others were injured.
Al-Shamie, who was wearing a fake suicide belt, was killed by police gunfire at the scene. He was on bail for an alleged rape when he carried out the attack.
Ali Hakim denied one count of failing to disclose information regarding terrorist activity when he appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court today via videolink from custody.
Prosecutor Sally-Anne Russell said Ali Hakim and Al-Shamie had been seen together multiple times in the run-up to the atrocity, including the day before Al-Shamie struck.
She alleged that CCTV evidence of conversations between Ali Hakim and Al-Shamie show him ‘condoning and supporting’ the terrorist action.
On October 1, Al-Shamie was allegedly heard saying: ‘Today is my last day, but don’t say anything.’
Ali Hakim allegedly replied: ‘No, no, may Allah bless you,’ the court heard.
Armed police officers at the scene of the terrorist attack at Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation synagogue in Manchester which left two dead
Al-Shamie is then said to have told Ali Hakim: ‘The last time you see me, tomorrow for (prayer),’ and then allegedly said: ‘You’ve helped me.’
Later, Ali Hakim is alleged to have said to Al-Shamie: ‘Anyway, go and die anyway, you can die, die from here, die from tomorrow, listen, you understand me.’
The court heard Al-Shamie replied: ‘Yeah, yeah, let me go and read Qu-ran.’
The pair are alleged to have been together for morning prayers on October 2, but did not speak to each other, the court heard.
Ms Russell said Ali Hakim attended the mosque later that evening, after the attack, and was ‘visibly upset’.
She said a conversation took place between the defendant and another worshipper in which Ali Hakim ‘condoned’ Al-Shamie’s actions.
Challenged by the worshipper, Ali Hakim is alleged to have asked what the problem was.
The court heard he said: ‘He served all Muslims, Allahu Akbar.
Melvin Cravitz, 66, from Crumpsall, died from knife wounds inflicted by Jihad Al-Shamie
Adrian Daulby, 53, also died after being accidentally shot by police
‘Glory be to Allah, His Messenger and the Believers… he did it (in the cause of Allah).’
The worshipper is alleged to have continued that what Al-Shamie did was wrong, but the court heard Ali Hakim replied: ‘Why? Peace and blessings be upon the Messenger of Allah.’
A few days earlier, on September 29, Al-Shamie and Ali Hakim were said to have left their mosque together and were discussing ‘paradise and hellfire’, the court heard.
It is alleged Ali Hakim asked Al-Shamie: ‘You know what to say, right?’
He then added: ‘Down on the floor, down, down on the floor, down, down on the floor, alright.’
The court heard Ali Hakim was with Al-Shamie when items were bought for the terrorist’s fake suicide belt.
After being arrested, the court heard Ali Hakim denied to police being ‘close’ with Al-Shamie, and said he was unhappy the attack happened.
He said he did not know why Al-Shamie had carried out the atrocity, the court heard.
Al-Shamie, pictured outside the synagogue, drove into the gates and carried out the attack before being shot dead by police
The prosecutor said Ali Hakim claimed some of his own comments picked up at the mosque may have been due to being under the influence of cannabis.
He told police he was ‘not aware of any plans and if he was, he would have stopped it’, the court heard.
Ali Hakim indicated a not-guilty plea to the single charge of failing to disclose information regarding terrorist activity during the 45-minute hearing.
The court heard he made two failed illegal attempts to enter the UK in 2007 before successfully getting into the country without detection later that year.
He was granted indefinite leave to remain in 2010.
District judge Briony Clarke remanded Ali Hakim in custody ahead of his next hearing at the Old Bailey next month.
He faces a sentence of up to ten years in prison if convicted.
Mr Cravitz, 66, died from knife wounds inflicted by Al-Shamie while Mr Daulby, 53, suffered a fatal bullet wound fired from a police gun.
Three other men were taken to hospital with serious injuries, but they have all since been released.

