Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Blackout: Akosombo control station works to be completed next month – Energy Minister insists

    Australia bite back as 18 wickets fall on day one of second Bangladesh Test | Cricket News

    ANDREW LOWNIE: The question is no longer how the monarchy deals with its bad apples, but whether it can survive so many of them

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»Africa News»Yemen’s Houthis deny plan to charge ships transiting Red Sea | Houthis News
    Africa News

    Yemen’s Houthis deny plan to charge ships transiting Red Sea | Houthis News

    Papa LincBy Papa LincAugust 1, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read4 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Yemen’s Houthis deny plan to charge ships transiting Red Sea | Houthis News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    Houthis say Red Sea route remains free to use, pushing back on report of new shipping fees.

    Published On 1 Aug 20261 Aug 2026

    Yemen’s Houthi rebels have denied planning to charge ships for passing through the Red Sea, saying passage through the waterway remains free.

    The denial came in a statement issued Saturday by the Houthi-run Humanitarian Operations Coordination Center (HOCC), which oversees vessel movement through the Bab al-Mandeb Strait. It said its “safe transit service” was voluntary and free of charge, adding that anyone demanding payment for passage did not represent Yemen or the HOCC. It urged shipping companies not to make payments or share information with unauthorised parties.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 3 itemsend of list

    The statement follows a Reuters news agency report on Wednesday, citing regional sources, that the Iran-aligned Houthis were considering imposing fees on ships transiting the strait – a week after the group declared a maritime blockade on Saudi Arabia. Those sources said the idea was raised with Iranian officials during a Houthi visit to Tehran earlier in July, with Iranian advisers reportedly helping set up an authority to regulate the fees.

    The Bab al-Mandeb Strait is a vital chokepoint linking the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden, used by ships carrying oil and other cargo between Asia, Europe and the Middle East. Any fee on passage would echo Iran’s own efforts to charge ships transiting the Strait of Hormuz, which has been largely shut since the US-Israel war on Iran began earlier this year.

    Yemen’s foreign minister-designate, Afrah al-Zouba, said on Tuesday that the Houthis were seeking to “copy the Iranian model”.

    A toll on Bab al-Mandeb would hit Saudi Arabia especially hard, since the kingdom has increasingly relied on the strait as an alternative export route while Hormuz remains disrupted.

    The Houthis have waged a long campaign against Red Sea shipping, beginning in 2023 after the start of Israel’s genocidal war on Gaza, and only pausing attacks after a ceasefire last October. A United Nations expert report found that the group may have collected significant informal fees from shipping agents in 2024, though this was never independently verified. Traffic through the strait has still not recovered to pre-2023 levels.

    In response to the renewed threat, Saudi Arabia this week announced a 14-nation maritime coalition aimed at protecting freedom of navigation through the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleManchester United keeping tabs on Newcastle defender Lewis Hall ahead of potential summer move – plus latest on Marcus Rashford’s Old Trafford future
    Next Article Infantino on the brink? Who might replace him if he goes?
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Australia bite back as 18 wickets fall on day one of second Bangladesh Test | Cricket News

    August 22, 2026

    Lionel Messi fined for striking opponent in Inter Miami MLS game | Football News

    August 22, 2026

    ‘It was a tsunami’: Floods leave death trail in India’s Assam | Floods News

    August 22, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025148 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025115 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202679 Views
    Don't Miss
    News August 22, 2026

    Blackout: Akosombo control station works to be completed next month – Energy Minister insists

    Minister for Energy and Green Transition, Dr. John Abdulai Jinapor Minister for Energy and Green…

    Australia bite back as 18 wickets fall on day one of second Bangladesh Test | Cricket News

    ANDREW LOWNIE: The question is no longer how the monarchy deals with its bad apples, but whether it can survive so many of them

    Aston Villa open talks with ex-Bayern Munich star Leon Goretzka and Liverpool youngster books loan deal amid work permit woes: WINDOW WATCH

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Blackout: Akosombo control station works to be completed next month – Energy Minister insists

    Australia bite back as 18 wickets fall on day one of second Bangladesh Test | Cricket News

    ANDREW LOWNIE: The question is no longer how the monarchy deals with its bad apples, but whether it can survive so many of them

    Most Popular

    I got intimate with 2500 women in 2019 alone – Oboy Siki brags

    November 26, 20240 Views

    Dreams FC assistant coach urges players to improve after tough start to the season

    November 28, 20240 Views

    Kwaysi collaborates with DJ Boat for Christmas anthem

    November 29, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.