Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Mahama disappointed by US opposition to UN slavery resolution

    ‘It was a tsunami’: Floods leave death trail in India’s Assam | Floods News

    Female teachers from Scots College make explosive claims about students’ ‘sexualised gestures’, deepfakes and wolf-whistles in wake of gang rape charges

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Veteran Waitrose worker sacked for tackling Easter egg thief says his ‘priority is getting a job’ – but jokes it can’t involve ‘dealing with shoplifters’
    International

    Veteran Waitrose worker sacked for tackling Easter egg thief says his ‘priority is getting a job’ – but jokes it can’t involve ‘dealing with shoplifters’

    Papa LincBy Papa LincApril 6, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read6 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Veteran Waitrose worker sacked for tackling Easter egg thief says his ‘priority is getting a job’ – but jokes it can’t involve ‘dealing with shoplifters’
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    The veteran Waitrose worker who was sacked for tackling an Easter egg thief has said his ‘priority is getting a job’ – but joked it can’t involve ‘dealing with shoplifters’. 

    Walker Smith, 54, had worked at the supermarket giant’s Clapham Junction branch for 17 years before he was fired after confronting the ‘repeat offender’ shoplifter when a customer told him someone had filled their bag with Easter eggs. 

    A tug-of-war briefly ensued between the pair before the bag broke and the Lindt Gold Bunny Eggs, which retail for £13 each, spilled onto the floor, smashing into pieces. 

    Despite the backlash Waitrose has faced over the ‘disgraceful’ decision, even drawing criticism from the Tories, it is understood Mr Smith has not been reinstated at the store – and he is now on the hunt for a new job. 

    In a tongue-in-cheek social media post on Sunday, the former employee said: ‘Thank you everyone for getting in touch with kind messages and support, I really appreciate it. 

    ‘I didn’t think it would blow up like this but now it has my priority is getting a job. I’m based in Clapham Junction so if you or anyone you know is looking for a reliable, conscientious employee please reach out. 

    ‘I was at Waitrose for 17 years so warehousing, customer service – except dealing with shoplifters(!), or similar would be amazing. Thank you all.’  

    Mr Smith’s bosses made the decision to sack him as staff had been told not to approach shoplifters.

    Veteran Waitrose worker sacked for tackling Easter egg thief says his ‘priority is getting a job’ – but jokes it can’t involve ‘dealing with shoplifters’

    Walker Smith, 54, had worked for at the supermarket giant’s Clapham Junction branch for 17 years before he was fired after confronting the ‘repeat offender’

    Waitrose has defended its decision, claiming there is a ‘serious danger to life’ in tackling thieves and its staff policies must be ‘strictly followed’.

    However the supermarket giant has faced furious backlash over the decision – with high profile politicians even weighing in on the row. 

    Shadow Home Secretary Chris Philp on Monday published a copy of a letter he had written to Waitrose chief executive Tom Denyard.

    He called for Mr Smith to be ‘reinstated and given a bonus after he was disgracefully sacked for tackling a shoplifter’. 

    In his letter, Mr Philp said: ‘Mr Smith had worked for Waitrose for 17 years. According to his account, he acted after being alerted to a theft by a known repeat offender in a store where shoplifting is persistent and often carried out openly. 

    ‘This case reflects a wider and growing problem. Shoplifting is rising sharply, with offenders acting brazenly and with little fear of consequence. 

    ‘Staff safety must come first. But dismissing a long-serving employee in these circumstances sends entirely the wrong message. It penalises those who act, while offenders are left unchecked.’ 

    He said members of staff and the public ‘should be supported an encouraged to intervene’ in cases of shoplifting, adding that Mr Smith ‘now faces losing his home and has spoken about the impact on his mental health. That is a serious outcome for someone who was trying to do the right thing’.

    Pictured: The Waitrose branch in Clapham Junction, south London, where the alleged shoplifting incident took place

    Pictured: The Waitrose branch in Clapham Junction, south London, where the alleged shoplifting incident took place

    The Shadow Home Secretary urged the supermarket chain to support staff who face shoplifters instead of penalising them. 

    ‘Waitrose has behaved digracefully by sacking Mr Smith,’ wrote in his letter to the supermarket CEO. ‘I urge you to reinstate him immediately, apologise to him and pay him a bonus for his bravery and initiative.’ 

    Amid the fallout over the decision, a fundraiser has so far received nearly £6,000 in donations towards the former employee’s bills and rent. 

    Hannah Spencer, who started the GoFundMe page, said Waitrose’s decision to sack Mr Smith is ‘terrible’.

    She wrote: ‘I’m raising money for Walker Smith who got fired for stopping a thief from stealing from Waitrose – his place of work for 17 years. 

    ‘He simply tried to do the right and noble thing by putting a stop to crime. He was then swiftly fired, escorted to the back of the Waitrose store by the bins and left to rot after 17 years of service. 

    ‘He is now at huge risk of not being able to pay his bills and rent without a job. Terrible treatment!’

    A Waitrose spokesman said previously: ‘The safety and security of our Partners and customers couldn’t be more important to us, and we have policies in place to protect both.  

    ‘We’ve had incidents where our Partners have been hospitalised when challenging shoplifters. Luckily, they have always recovered, but that might not always be the case.

    ‘There is a serious danger to life in tackling shoplifters. We refuse to put anyone’s life at risk and that’s why we have policies in place that are very clearly understood and must be strictly followed.

    ‘As a responsible employer, we never want to be in a position where we are notifying families of a tragedy because someone tried to stop a theft. Nothing we sell is worth risking lives for.

    ‘The reporting on this does not cover the full facts of the situation. While we would never be able to discuss an individual case, we can assure you the correct process is being followed, which includes a standard appeals procedure.

    ‘We have campaigned for some time for more to be done to protect shop workers from offenders, including retail crime being made into a specific stand alone offence.’



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticlePrice sobrevive a una sangrienta batalla y conserva las coronas unificadas contra Piñero
    Next Article Making the Internet Weird, Wonderful, and Human Again
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Female teachers from Scots College make explosive claims about students’ ‘sexualised gestures’, deepfakes and wolf-whistles in wake of gang rape charges

    August 22, 2026

    Creep at center of massive search for missing women posted on his vile website bragged about acting as ‘perverted serial killer’ on unearthed podcast

    August 22, 2026

    Beloved mother, 30, of four young children killed in car crash after making two tragic mistakes

    August 22, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025148 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025115 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202679 Views
    Don't Miss
    News August 22, 2026

    Mahama disappointed by US opposition to UN slavery resolution

    President John Dramani Mahama has expressed disappointment with the decision by the United States to…

    ‘It was a tsunami’: Floods leave death trail in India’s Assam | Floods News

    Female teachers from Scots College make explosive claims about students’ ‘sexualised gestures’, deepfakes and wolf-whistles in wake of gang rape charges

    WNBA star unleashes furious X-rated tirade after ANOTHER game is disrupted by multiple sex toys thrown on court

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Mahama disappointed by US opposition to UN slavery resolution

    ‘It was a tsunami’: Floods leave death trail in India’s Assam | Floods News

    Female teachers from Scots College make explosive claims about students’ ‘sexualised gestures’, deepfakes and wolf-whistles in wake of gang rape charges

    Most Popular

    I got intimate with 2500 women in 2019 alone – Oboy Siki brags

    November 26, 20240 Views

    Dreams FC assistant coach urges players to improve after tough start to the season

    November 28, 20240 Views

    Kwaysi collaborates with DJ Boat for Christmas anthem

    November 29, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.