Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Blackout: Akosombo control station works to be completed next month – Energy Minister insists

    Australia bite back as 18 wickets fall on day one of second Bangladesh Test | Cricket News

    ANDREW LOWNIE: The question is no longer how the monarchy deals with its bad apples, but whether it can survive so many of them

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»USAID ordered to shut down by Friday as thousands of relief workers sent packing from more than 100 countries
    International

    USAID ordered to shut down by Friday as thousands of relief workers sent packing from more than 100 countries

    Papa LincBy Papa LincFebruary 5, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read8 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    USAID ordered to shut down by Friday as thousands of relief workers sent packing from more than 100 countries
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    By MELISSA KOENIG FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

    Published: 20:03 EST, 4 February 2025 | Updated: 20:32 EST, 4 February 2025

    The United States Agency for International Development has been ordered to shut down by Friday amid Elon Musk‘s efforts to dismantle it, calling it a ‘criminal organization.’

    The State Department is now working diligently to recall thousands of staff members across the world, two sources familiar with the discussions told Reuters. 

    The employees were told by Peter Marocco, who was appointed by President Donald Trump, that all USAID staff members and their families should be recalled back to the United States by Friday – though that deadline could be delayed.

    If the State Department failed to bring home the foreign employees, the staff would be evacuated by the US military, according to CBS News. 

    USAID employees in many bureaus at the agency’s headquarters in Washington DC also received a memo that they are being placed on administrative leave, according to PBS NewsHour correspondent Lisa Desjardins.

    It said they must be available to report to work ‘if directed to do so,’ and must be available by phone and email during normal business hours.

    But they are ‘not to enter USAID premises, access USAID systems or attempt to use your position or authority with USAID in any way without my prior permission or prior permission of a supervisor in your chain of command,’ wrote Marocco, the newly-appointed deputy administrator for the agency.

    Two employees who were placed on administrative leave said each agency bureau has been directed to leave a ‘skeleton crew’ to help identify programs to be shuttered. 

    USAID ordered to shut down by Friday as thousands of relief workers sent packing from more than 100 countries

    Department of Government Efficiency head Elon Musk dismantled the United States Agency for International Development

    All overseas missions for the United States Agency for International Development was shut down by the US State Department Tuesday

    All overseas missions for the United States Agency for International Development was shut down by the US State Department Tuesday

    The move comes as President Donald Trump‘s administration is planning to merge USAID – Washington’s primary humanitarian agency that distributes billions of dollars worth of aid abroad – with the State Department.

    The president had previously ordered a freeze on most foreign aid on his first day in office, saying he wanted to ensure it aligned with his America First platform.

    Dozens of USAID workers were then put on leave last week under stop-work orders, while hundreds of internal contractors were laid off.

    By Monday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced he was taking over as acting head of the agency – which he said was ‘completely unresponsive’ as he accused staff members of being ‘unwilling to answer simple questions’ about its programs.

    He also informed Congress in a letter about the pending reorganization of the agency, saying some parts of USAID might be absorbed by the State Department while others will be completely abolished.

    The agency had employed more than 10,000 people, about two-thirds of whom served overseas, according to a report by the Congressional Research Service.

    This is a breaking news story and will be updated.

    Share or comment on this article:
    USAID ordered to shut down by Friday as thousands of relief workers sent packing from more than 100 countries



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleGary Neville names the TWO Man United players that Ruben Amorim ‘doesn’t like’ – as he slams Red Devils boss after Crystal Palace defeat
    Next Article Francis Kojo Kwarteng Arthur appointed CEO of GEPA
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    ANDREW LOWNIE: The question is no longer how the monarchy deals with its bad apples, but whether it can survive so many of them

    August 22, 2026

    Unhappy in nappy valley: The two City millionaires at war over a window one wants to build… and the other says will look directly into HIS mansion

    August 22, 2026

    Female teachers from Scots College make explosive claims about students’ ‘sexualised gestures’, deepfakes and wolf-whistles in wake of gang rape charges

    August 22, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025148 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025115 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202679 Views
    Don't Miss
    News August 22, 2026

    Blackout: Akosombo control station works to be completed next month – Energy Minister insists

    Minister for Energy and Green Transition, Dr. John Abdulai Jinapor Minister for Energy and Green…

    Australia bite back as 18 wickets fall on day one of second Bangladesh Test | Cricket News

    ANDREW LOWNIE: The question is no longer how the monarchy deals with its bad apples, but whether it can survive so many of them

    Aston Villa open talks with ex-Bayern Munich star Leon Goretzka and Liverpool youngster books loan deal amid work permit woes: WINDOW WATCH

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Blackout: Akosombo control station works to be completed next month – Energy Minister insists

    Australia bite back as 18 wickets fall on day one of second Bangladesh Test | Cricket News

    ANDREW LOWNIE: The question is no longer how the monarchy deals with its bad apples, but whether it can survive so many of them

    Most Popular

    I got intimate with 2500 women in 2019 alone – Oboy Siki brags

    November 26, 20240 Views

    Dreams FC assistant coach urges players to improve after tough start to the season

    November 28, 20240 Views

    Kwaysi collaborates with DJ Boat for Christmas anthem

    November 29, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.