Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Nkoko Nkitinkiti programme has failed – Afenyo-Markin claims

    US envoy Tom Barrack retracts comment that Syria’s Golan is occupied | Politics News

    I was the Aussie almost killed by a great white shark – this is how I survived as it held onto my leg

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»Africa News»US envoy Tom Barrack retracts comment that Syria’s Golan is occupied | Politics News
    Africa News

    US envoy Tom Barrack retracts comment that Syria’s Golan is occupied | Politics News

    Papa LincBy Papa LincAugust 23, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read2 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    US envoy Tom Barrack retracts comment that Syria’s Golan is occupied | Politics News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    Ambassador to Turkiye says US policy of recognising Israel’s claimed sovereignty over Syrian territory is ‘unchanged’.

    Published On 23 Aug 202623 Aug 2026

    United States Ambassador Tom Barrack has reasserted Washington’s position that Syria’s Golan Heights belongs to Israel after saying last week that the territory is occupied against “all of the international order”.

    US President Donald Trump’s ambassador to Turkiye and envoy for Syria walked back that comment on Sunday, underscoring Trump’s policy of recognising Israel’s claimed sovereignty over the stretch of land in southern Syria.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 3 itemsend of list

    “United States policy on the Golan was set by President Trump in 2019 and is unchanged,” he told The Associated Press news agency in a statement.

    Israel occupied the Golan during the 1967 Six-Day War and annexed the territory in 1981.

    Until Trump backed the Israeli claim to the Syrian territory, no country had recognised the Golan as part of Israel.

    The recognition sparked an international outcry. Legal experts warned that it could upend a core tenet of the post-World War II global order: the prohibition on acquiring land by force.

    Former US President Joe Biden promoted the so-called rules-based order early in his tenure, but he failed to reverse Trump’s policy on the Golan during his four-year term.

    Recently, Colombia’s right-wing government joined the US in backing Israel’s claim on the Golan.

    In an interview with podcaster Mario Nawfal on Friday, Barrack appeared to acknowledge that the Golan is occupied Syrian land.

    Barrack was asked whether Israel has plans to annex parts of southern Lebanon. He said regardless of intent, Israel knows that it would be difficult to claim Lebanese territory as its own.

    “Saying that, in the Golan with Syria, they still occupy the Golan against the UN resolutions, against all of the international order, which has said the Golan is Syria’s,” Barrack said.

    Israel’s advocates were quick to criticise Barrack’s comment. Far-right commentator Laura Loomer called on the envoy to step down.

    “He should resign for his lack of understanding of US foreign policy,” she wrote in a social media post, sharing Trump’s 2019 proclamation saying that the Golan belongs to Israel.

    Republican Senator Rick Scott also criticised the ambassador, saying Barrack was confirmed by the Senate to enact Trump’s agenda.

    “It seems the Ambassador forgot that or failed to do his research, so here’s a refresher for him,” Scott wrote in a social media post that included Trump’s executive order on the Golan Heights.

    “President Trump has been CLEAR about Israel’s sovereignty over the Golan Heights for years!”

    Barrack had also been criticised for opposing Israeli air strikes on a Syrian airbase last week.

    In his interview with Nawfal, Barrack suggested that the Israeli strikes in Syria were aimed at antagonising Turkiye, which is allied with the Syrian government.

    “One theory is they were just baiting Turkiye, and it’s a very aggressive, but maybe well-received pre-election concept,” Barrack said, referring to US midterm elections in November.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleI was the Aussie almost killed by a great white shark – this is how I survived as it held onto my leg
    Next Article Nkoko Nkitinkiti programme has failed – Afenyo-Markin claims
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Severe winds toss four aircraft across Italian airport tarmac | Weather

    August 23, 2026

    Two killed after giant Ganesha statue collapses onto crowd in Mumbai | Religion

    August 23, 2026

    Trump has ‘run out of options’ in Iran war: Stephen Walt | US-Israel war on Iran

    August 23, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025148 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025115 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202679 Views
    Don't Miss
    News August 23, 2026

    Nkoko Nkitinkiti programme has failed – Afenyo-Markin claims

    Minority Leader in Parliament, Alexander Afenyo-Markin, has described the government’s flagship Nkoko Nkitinkiti poultry initiative…

    US envoy Tom Barrack retracts comment that Syria’s Golan is occupied | Politics News

    I was the Aussie almost killed by a great white shark – this is how I survived as it held onto my leg

    Ex-ESPN star rips into WNBA team’s ‘laughable’ nonbinary mascot amid league’s ongoing trans athlete saga

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Nkoko Nkitinkiti programme has failed – Afenyo-Markin claims

    US envoy Tom Barrack retracts comment that Syria’s Golan is occupied | Politics News

    I was the Aussie almost killed by a great white shark – this is how I survived as it held onto my leg

    Most Popular

    I got intimate with 2500 women in 2019 alone – Oboy Siki brags

    November 26, 20240 Views

    Dreams FC assistant coach urges players to improve after tough start to the season

    November 28, 20240 Views

    Kwaysi collaborates with DJ Boat for Christmas anthem

    November 29, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.