Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Tupac’s stepbrother makes heartbreaking plea as rapper’s murder trial begins with opening statements today: Live updates

    Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road

    Democrats rebuke Trump over scaling back military drills with South Korea | Donald Trump News

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Tupac’s stepbrother makes heartbreaking plea as rapper’s murder trial begins with opening statements today: Live updates
    International

    Tupac’s stepbrother makes heartbreaking plea as rapper’s murder trial begins with opening statements today: Live updates

    Papa LincBy Papa LincAugust 17, 2026No Comments8 Mins Read1 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Tupac’s stepbrother makes heartbreaking plea as rapper’s murder trial begins with opening statements today: Live updates
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    Tupac’s stepbrother makes heartbreaking plea as rapper’s murder trial begins with opening statements today: Live updates

    By KATRINA SCHOLLENBERGER, US HEAD OF LIVE NEWS

    Updated: 13:07 EDT, 17 August 2026

    Tupac’s stepbrother Mopreme Shakur said he ‘wanted his brother back’ as the legendary rapper’s murder trial is set to resume today. 

    ‘The justice I want, I will never get. I want my brother back. Period dot. I want my little brother back. Pac didn’t get a trial, he just got a death sentence,’ Shakur told BBC News. 

    ‘The amount of pain, distress, heartache that the family has gone through, and Pac’s fans have gone through, is unmatched.’ 

    Opening statements will begin in the long-awaited trial of Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis over the 1996 drive-by shooting that killed the California Love hitmaker. 

    The proceedings kicked off in Las Vegas last week, nearly 30 years after the 25-year-old musician was gunned down while riding in the passenger seat of a BMW driven by former Death Row Records boss Suge Knight.

    Tupac had been in Las Vegas to watch a Mike Tyson boxing match at the MGM Grand on September 7, 1996, hours before a white Cadillac pulled alongside the car and gunfire erupted. He died from his injuries six days later. 

    Davis, 63, a former leader of the South Side Compton Crips, is the only person ever charged in Shakur’s killing. Prosecutors allege he ordered the revenge attack and provided the gun used in the shooting, although they do not claim he pulled the trigger.

    Follow the Daily Mail for more updates… 

     

    Tupac’s brother Mopreme Shakur said family and fans would not get justice in murder trial

    Mopreme Shakur appeared on the BBC on August 16 to share his thoughts on his stepbrother’s murder trial, nearly 30 years after Tupac’s fatal shooting in Las Vegas.

    Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis faces one count of murder with a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang in connection with Tupac’s drive-by shooting death in September 1996.

    ‘The justice I want, I will never get. I want my brother back. Period dot. I want my little brother back,’ he said.

    ‘Pac didn’t get a trial, he just got a death sentence. The amount of pain, distress, heartache that the family has gone through, and Pac’s fans have gone through, is unmatched,’ he continued.

    Shakur said that the family were ‘cautiously optimistic’ about the outcome of the trial.

    Alleged Duane Davis conversation audio is played to court

    The DA played a surreptitious audio clip recorded by police of Duane Davis allegedly speaking about his search for Tupac Shakur on September 7, 1996.

    Davis and his gang were said to comb the Las Vegas area after his nephew’s attack, but called it quits and decided to go to a night club after they were not able to locate him and his crew.

    As they made their way to the club, Davis and his associates apparently spotted Shakur among a fleet of vehicles.

    ‘Tupac, he gave himself away,’ Davis said in the recording. ‘Otherwise, they woulda got away.’

    Prosecutor Bilal alleges Davis and his crew made a U-Turn, followed Shakur’s vehicle, and handed a gun to Deandre Smith. When Smith did not shoot, his nephew Orlando Anderson began firing into the rapper’s car.

    Duane Davis repeatedly looks at court gallery

    Davis was seen looking at who was seated in the courtroom gallery as court began for the day.

    The trial of a man accused of orchestrating the killing of the legendary rapper, Tupac Shakur, begins on Monday. Duane "Keffe D" Davis is charged with murder in the 1996 killing of Shakur.Davis is the first person to be charged in connection with the musician's death, nearly 30 years after he was killed in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas.
    The trial of a man accused of orchestrating the killing of the legendary rapper, Tupac Shakur, begins on Monday. Duane "Keffe D" Davis is charged with murder in the 1996 killing of Shakur.Davis is the first person to be charged in connection with the musician's death, nearly 30 years after he was killed in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas.

    Opening statements begin in trial

    Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal began his opening statement by playing a video of Tupac’s associates kicking and beating Orlando Anderson, Duane ‘Keffe D’s’ nephew at the MGM Grand in September 1996.

    They then showed a picture of Tupac and Suge Knight’s bullet-ridden vehicle and argued the retaliatory attack against them was orchestrated by Keffe D.

    Lawyers explained the different gang camps between the Mob Pirus and South Side Compton Crips and how their rivalry came into play in the lead up to Tupac’s death.

    The state argues that the rapper’s murder was an ‘act of revenge.’

    ‘You will learn when the opportunity presented itself for retribution, Duane Davis made sure that the shooters were armed and ready to execute their revenge,’ he said.

    The trial of a man accused of orchestrating the killing of the legendary rapper, Tupac Shakur, begins on Monday. Duane "Keffe D" Davis is charged with murder in the 1996 killing of Shakur.Davis is the first person to be charged in connection with the musician's death, nearly 30 years after he was killed in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas.

    Tupac’s step brother Mopreme Shakur arrives at courthouse

    Mopreme arrived at the Regional Justice Center in downtown Las Vegas on Monday morning dressed in a black New York Giants shirt.

    He sat in the back row of an overflow room as names were drawn for who will get to watch the trial in person.

    The seating lottery is divided into three groups between family, members of the media and general public.

    Those who are not seated in the courtroom will watch a livestream of the trial in a separate room in the building.

    Why is Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis on trial?

    Prosecutors believe that Davis organized Tupac Shakur’s shooting in retaliation to an attack on Davis’ nephew Orlando Anderson at the MGM Grand Las Vegas in September 1996.

    Lawyers argue that the pair’s rival gang affiliations were foundational in the motive of Shakur’s killing, as Davis was affiliated with the South Side Compton Crips and Shakur was affiliated with the Mob Piru gang.

    Davis wrote about the events leading up to Shakur’s death in his 2019 memoir ‘Compton Street Legend,’ detailing his life as a gang member, who was in his circle, and who was present the night that Shakur was shot.

    As a result of his book, as well as a series of BET docuseries episodes that aired in 2017 in which Davis discussed the incident in detail, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department reopened the case.

    Davis was indicted in 2023 on one count of murder with a deadly weapon in the rapper’s death, but prosecutors do not claim that he fired the fatal shots.

    Duane Davis looks on during the fourth day of jury selection in his murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on August 13, 2026. The trial of the former gang leader accused of orchestrating the murder of rapper Tupac Shakur finally began on August 10, 30 years after one of America's most high-profile unresolved killings. The proceedings, expected to last a month, will likely not make clear who fired the shots that killed the California hip-hop legend on the night of September 7, 1996, while he was in Las Vegas to see a Mike Tyson boxing match. (Photo by Bizuayeha TESFAYE / POOL / AFP via Getty Images)

    Opening statements to begin at 12.30pm EST

    Opening statements are set to begin at the Regional Justice Center in downtown Las Vegas at 9.30am PST/12.30PM EST.

    Last week, 12 jurors and four alternates were selected for the trial.

    Getting a seat inside the Tupac murder trial won’t be easy

    Members of the public hoping to watch one of hip-hop’s most anticipated murder trials in person will have to rely on luck to get inside the courtroom.

    Public seating at the Clark County District Court in Las Vegas will be extremely limited, with seats being handed out through a daily lottery, according to AP News.

    Those who fail to secure a coveted courtroom seat will still have another option.

    Officials are opening a room on the courthouse’s second floor where members of the public can watch a live feed of the proceedings.

    Judge Carli Kierny is presiding over the trial, which is expected to last about a month.

    WATCH: Moment Keffe D is arrested in connection with Tupac’s murder

    Supplemental witness list filing includes Diddy and Suge Knight

    A supplemental witness list obtained by USA Today last week includes several notable names prosecutors could call to the stand in the trial over Tupac Shakur’s murder.

    Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs and his former bodyguard, Eugene ‘Gene’ Deal, are among the most prominent names listed as potential state witnesses as proceedings get underway.

    Combs is currently serving a 50-month prison sentence following his July 2025 conviction on two counts of transportation to engage in prostitution.

    Tupac’s sister, Sekyiwa Shakur, as well as his stepbrother, Maurice ‘Mopreme’ Shakur, and cousin Katari Cox, are also expected to testify.

    Death Row Records CEO Marion ‘Suge’ Knight is also on the list of potential witnesses, despite his defiant refusal to testify in the case.

    Suge Knight insists he won’t testify against Tupac murder suspect, despite being with rapper when he was murdered

    Marion ‘Suge’ Knight has insisted on several occasions that he won’t be testifying against Tupac’s murder suspect despite being with the rapper when he was killed.

    Duane ‘Keefe D’ Davis was arrested by Las Vegas detectives in October 2023 and was charged with murder with use of a deadly weapon in Shakur’s case.

    Knight, the 61-year-old Death Row Records co-founder, told TMZ in 2023 that he believes police have arrested the wrong man for Tupac’s murder, and stated that he would not be taking the stand in court.

    He was injured during the 1996 shooting, and despite being the only living witness, said: ‘1000% I wouldn’t go. I wouldn’t testify, none of that.’

    Last week, he doubled down on his defiant statements to ABC News, saying: ‘This trial has nothing to do with me and if somebody brings me there, it’s gonna hurt whoever brings me there. I promise you that.’

    Knight is currently serving a 28-year jail sentence for a hit-and-run crash in 2015.

    LOS ANGELES, CA - OCTOBER 04:  Marion "Suge" Knight during sentencing at the Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center on October 4, 2018 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Pool David McNew/Getty Images)

    Share or comment on this article:
    Tupac’s stepbrother makes heartbreaking plea as rapper’s murder trial begins with opening statements today: Live updates



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleBerekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Eugenie’s tribute to late Queen: Princess reveals new baby daughter is named Adelaide Elizabeth Annina Brooksbank, two weeks after she gave birth in Portugal

    August 17, 2026

    Website offers advice on securing PIP handouts for just £50 as number of people claiming the disability benefit passes four million

    August 17, 2026

    Britain finally gets rain…but it’s not enough to reverse drought: Parts of UK hit by showers but reservoirs still run dry as car washes and swimming pools brace for water bans

    August 17, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025147 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025114 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202678 Views
    Don't Miss
    International August 17, 2026

    Tupac’s stepbrother makes heartbreaking plea as rapper’s murder trial begins with opening statements today: Live updates

    By KATRINA SCHOLLENBERGER, US HEAD OF LIVE NEWS Updated: 13:07 EDT, 17 August 2026 Tupac’s…

    Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road

    Democrats rebuke Trump over scaling back military drills with South Korea | Donald Trump News

    Duncan Williams recounts how Ghana lost huge volumes of gold through black market

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Tupac’s stepbrother makes heartbreaking plea as rapper’s murder trial begins with opening statements today: Live updates

    Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road

    Democrats rebuke Trump over scaling back military drills with South Korea | Donald Trump News

    Most Popular

    “Dad can’t wait to marry you off” – Bride’s father eagerly approves the couple’s union with a swift ‘Yes’ answer on their wedding day (WATCH)

    November 21, 20240 Views

    Ring camera captures young couple calmly coming and going after killing ‘grandfather’

    November 21, 20240 Views

    Alan Kyerematen says the NPP is a declining party and advises Ghanaians to look beyond it.

    November 23, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.