Bayern Munich star Jamal Musiala has revealed he is receiving treatment for a ‘neurological dysfunction’ after he collapsed on the pitch for the second time in four days.
Musiala, 23, fell just six minutes after coming off the bench during Bayern’s 4-2 victory over Heidenheim in a pre-season friendly on Tuesday.
Harry Kane was one of the first to react to the situation, gesturing to his team-mates to form a shield around Musiala for his privacy. While some had already headed over to form a barrier, the 33-year-old was seen waving his arm to get more players to join them.
The German attacker received medical treatment after the incident, but appeared to be dazed and had to be supported as he walked off the pitch, with Cassiano Kiala coming on in his place in the 61st minute.
Musiala also collapsed during Bayern’s 3-1 friendly victory over RB Leipzig in the sweltering heat on Saturday.
Footage showed Musiala looking disorientated while waiting for the match to restart after he had scored, with Ismael Saibari sprinting over to catch him before he hit the ground.
Jamal Musiala was helped off the pitch after collapsing for the second time in four days
Harry Kane was one of the first to react to the situation, gesturing to his team-mates to form a shield around Musiala for his privacy
Musiala also collapsed on Saturday and revealed he is receiving treatment for a ‘neurological dysfunction’
And on Tuesday evening, Musiala took to Instagram to shed further light on the situation.
He said: ‘First things first, I am doing well. I am incredibly grateful for your messages and your support!
‘I understand that many of you are worried. I would like to put those concerns to rest today and explain the situation: I have been diagnosed with brief, temporary – but treatable – absence seizures resulting from a neurological dysfunction.
‘These can lead to the kind of incidents seen recently, such as during the match against Leipzig or the game in Heidenheim.
‘I know they might look alarming at first glance, but for me, they are currently part of my everyday life. I am receiving excellent medical care and remain very optimistic. FC Bayern and my personal support network are right by my side, helping me through this.’
Musiala went on to insist that he remained in good spirits and added that he was not putting himself in danger by continuing to play.
‘Importantly, there is no further health risk involved,’ Musiala added. ‘In close consultation and regular contact with the experts, it was my personal wish to face this challenge; with the medical clearance of the neurologists, I want to continue doing what helps my recovery most: simply living my life and pursuing my passion for playing football.
‘I have taken full responsibility for this decision. Overall, I feel very positive and am on the right track.
‘With the medical clearance of the neurologists, I want to continue doing what helps my recovery most: simply living my life and pursuing my passion for playing football,’ he said
‘I ask for your understanding regarding my wish to keep this matter private, sharing it only with my closest circle, the club, and the medical experts,’ he added
‘What helps me most on this journey is continuing to chase victories and titles with my team and with your amazing support.
‘I hope this helps you understand the situation better. At the same time, I ask for your understanding regarding my wish to keep this matter private, sharing it only with my closest circle, the club, and the medical experts.’
Bayern sporting director Max Eberl had earlier hinted there would be an update from Musiala after the game when he spoke to the media.
He said: ‘We knew about it and we are aware of the situation. Jamal will speak out. He’s in the dressing room, getting changed and taking a shower.’

