By Miguel Maravilla

U.S Olympic Silver Medalist heavyweight Richard Torrez Jr. (12-0, 11 KOs) of Tulare, California begins his 2025 campaign this Saturday night as he takes on Rome’s Guido “The Gladiator” Vianello (13-2-1, 11 KOs). Torrez clashes with Vianello at the Pearl Theater at Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas headlining live on ESPN +

“I’m really excited this is a great opportunity sharing the ring with a fellow Olympian. I’m excited to show the American heavyweight and what I have to offer,” Richard Torrez Jr. told FightNews.com®.

Finding his comfort zone and back to his amateur roots, Torrez completed his camp as he prepared at the U.S Olympic Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado in gearing up for Vianello.

“It was a great camp in Colorado Springs and the sparring was good. We have a world class training facility and at high altitude. There is no benefit, to not coming here, it’s amazing.”

Vianello, a 2016 Italian Olympian poses a threat to Torrez as he was in a fight of the year candidate last year as in dropping a controversial split decision to Efe Ajagba and rebounded with an eight-round stoppage of Arslanbek Makhmudov.

“He is a great fighter, his last couple of fights have been outstanding. He is a tall, lengthy fighter with a great punch. I think there is a threat there, I’m also excited to show that I’m a threat as well,” Torrez said about his opponent Guido Vianello.

Last year was an active, busy, and productive one for Torrez as he fought four fights. Scoring knockouts over Donald Haynesworth and Brandon Moore, followed by a disqualification win over Joey Dawjeko as Dawjeko spit out his mouthpiece multiple times. Torrez stopped Isaac Munoz in the third round in his last fight, now he looks to begin the year with a victory over Vianello.

“Sometimes I feel my camps don’t end but I’m always ready to fight. I’m thankful for fighting so much and staying active,” Torrez Jr said. “I see myself on track following the process and progressing as I need to. I’m thankful for Top Rank,” Torrez added.

Lurking in the heavyweight division, a victory will catapult Torrez to some of the solid names at heavyweight.

“I’m trusting my team around me. If this fight goes well and they want to put me up against that’s fine,” Torrez said. “I think I’m ready for anyone right now. They lead me in the direction they want but if you give me Usyk or Fury tomorrow, I will say yes. I don’t say no to fights. I want to be successful, and my idea of success is unattainable,”

For Torrez to reach the pinnacle of the division at this point he will need to crack some of the top veterans and established fighters at heavyweight such as Kubrat Pulev, Zhilei Zhang, Joe Joyce, Efe Agagba, Filip Hrgovic, Martin Bakole, and even Top Rank stablemate Jared Anderson would be intriguing.

“I didn’t join boxing to be ‘I need to beat this guy.’ The only guy I’ve called out is Joe Joyce and that’s because I had a run in with him when I was 17 at the Olympic Center. I would love to be able to have that fight,” Torrez stated.

We shall see what transpires this weekend as Torrez’s first task will be the Italian Vianello. The pride of Tulare looks to shine and make a statement

“You will see some fireworks and two Olympians battling it out. I will show what American heavyweight boxing has to offer,”

Follow Miguel on X & You Tube @MigMaravilla

The post Richard Torrez Jr. Headlines Saturday Night appeared first on fightnews.com.



Source link

Share.
Exit mobile version