The Sydney Swans have stood down five players for the remainder of the AFL season after the club found they breached its standards by staying out late, drinking and bringing women back to the team hotel – amid a separate police investigation into an alleged sexual assault.
Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Chad Warner will not be considered for selection for the rest of the 2026 season, the club announced on Wednesday.
Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich said the players were sanctioned for staying out late, drinking and bringing women back to the team hotel in Melbourne.
‘It was staying out late, it was drinking, it was to continue their night,’ Pavlich said.
‘It was bringing women back to the hotel. It was a long way short of what we expect of our players.
‘And we’re holding them to a really high standard. But they were well short of anywhere near that standard.’
The club stressed the sanctions were separate from the sexual assault allegations being investigated by Victoria Police.
‘We’re not abandoning our players. We are supporting our players through this really challenging time for them,’ he said.
Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich said the players were sanctioned for staying out late, drinking and bringing women back to the team hotel in Melbourne
Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Chad Warner will not be considered for selection for the rest of the 2026 season, the club announced on Wednesday
‘Just to be clear – they will not be considered for AFL selection for the remainder of the season, including finals. But they will be allowed back at the football club.’
Palvich also addressed why the coach was also out late that night.
‘The staff – coaches, physios, doctors, commercial staff, media people – had a get-together, pre-planned get together.
‘They all finished the game quite late. They all got back to the hotel quite late, had some dinner, and then went out.
‘It wasn’t inappropriate, what they did. No issue at all with them.
‘All I can say is that this football club’s had a wonderful, rich, strong culture. But we’ve got a long way back here to rebuild the trust of our fans, our commercial partners, our sponsors, and the people that love the Sydney Swans.’
Palvich was also asked if the players would be tested for illicit drugs.
‘That’s a matter’s for the police,’ he said.
The sanctions come as police continue their investigation into an alleged sexual assault involving Swans players at the Pullman East Melbourne hotel.
The allegations stem from a dispute involving a woman over a perceived breach of her personal boundaries at the hotel.
The team was in Melbourne following its 36-point victory over Essendon at the MCG on Sunday, with the Pullman located 200m from the stadium.
A player had arranged for at least two women to come to the hotel in the early hours of Monday, the source said, after more than six teammates had been out for dinner and drinks following their win.
Players reportedly returned to the hotel in several groups between about 2.15am and 3.40am, with some allegedly seen yelling on the street.
The women at the centre of the allegations reportedly arrived after 4am.
A commotion allegedly erupted inside one of the players’ rooms after a woman claimed an understanding about what was ‘off limits’ had been violated.
One of the women then left the room and went downstairs, where she confronted staff from the club and hotel.
People in the hotel lobby heard a visibly upset woman tell staff she had been ‘inappropriately touched’.
Victoria Police subsequently attended the hotel and confirmed officers were investigating a report of sexual assault.
Heeney, Warner, Jordon and Bice were interviewed by police as part of the investigation.
‘Police spoke to a number of people at the hotel, however no one has been arrested or formally interviewed at this time,’ police said.
Daily Mail does not suggest any of the players are under investigation or involved in any wrongdoing, just that they spoke to police about the alleged incident.
The five players reportedly drove back to Sydney on Monday night to avoid media at the airport.
It comes after AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon on Tuesday released a statement calling for more respect around the sexual assault allegations.
‘The woman who made the report to police is entitled to privacy and care, and that should be respected.
‘It is important that the police process is allowed to run its course.
‘Sexual assault allegations are serious, regardless of who is involved, what time of year it is, or what they may mean for a season.
‘Our first question should not be what this means for a football club. It should be whether our actions match the standards we stand for and the community expects of us.
‘As a sport, and as an industry, we are clear about the standards we expect and the values we stand for and the need to uphold them.
‘Being clear about our standards also means being prepared to act when those standards are not met.
‘Notwithstanding the ongoing police investigation, the AFL and the Sydney Swans will consider the broader conduct of the players as more information comes to light.’
The Swans play North Melbourne in the final round of the regular season at the SCG on Sunday afternoon.

