One of the three women at the centre of the Sydney Swans hotel saga has reportedly made a second sexual assault allegation. 

Sex Crimes Squad detectives have been investigating ‘a report of a sexual assault’ at the Pullman East Melbourne hotel last Monday, according to Victoria Police. 

However, one women represented by law firm Slater & Gordon has now alleged she was the victim of ‘multiple sexual assaults’ while in the hotel, The Age reports.

The fresh allegation follows two other women, represented by Carbone Lawyers, claiming they were subjected to sexual conduct in excess of what was agreed to when they were booked as topless waitresses.

Slater & Gordon lawyer Jackson Pannam said on Saturday that the firm had been asked by his client to determine if there was any basis for a civil claim.

‘Everyone deserves to be safe going about their life, at home, at work and in public spaces without risk of being assaulted or harmed,’ he said in a statement.

The Sydney Swans have stood down players Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, Riley Bice and James Jordon for the remainder of the AFL season.

However the club says that sanction was for breaching team standards by staying out late, drinking and calling the women to the hotel, and makes no judgement on the sexual assault allegations, saying that is for police to determine.

Sydney Swans players who were not involved in the hotel incident took to the field on Sunday night for a much-needed win against North Melbourne to boost morale

Diehard Swans fans showed their support for the team during the clash

Some players broke into tears as the siren sounded on the fourth quarter on Sunday after an incredibly tough week for the team

Daily Mail does not suggest any of the named Swans players are under police investigation or involved in any wrongdoing alleged by the women.

There have been reports that up to nine people were in the hotel room.

The Swans have maintained no more than five of its players or staff were there. 

No charges have been laid and the investigation ‘remains active and ongoing’.

According to Mr Pannam, the woman, who contacted police immediately after the alleged assault, has had her world turned upside down and is navigating an ‘incredibly traumatic experience’.

‘We will be putting all of the relevant parties on notice in due course,’ he earlier told reporters.

‘We’re standing with our client to give her support at this difficult time and to help her get the justice she deserves.’

A potential civil claim would be separate to any criminal proceedings.

Captain Callum Mills embraces Swans coach Dean Cox after winning the round 24 AFL match

Slater & Gordon lawyer Jackson Pannam said the firm has been asked by his client to determine if there was any basis for a civil claim

The team found the players had breached standards by staying out late, drinking and bringing women back to the Pullman East Melbourne hotel, near the MCG, early on Monday morning

None of the banned players had been interviewed by police as of Saturday morning, the Sydney Swans said in a statement.

However, a ‘number of people have been spoken to’ regarding the alleged assault, according to Victoria Police.

Carbone Lawyers partner John Karantzis said the two women he represented were suffering severe stress, anxiety and feared for their lives after online backlash from Sydney supporters over the affect of the incident on the Swans AFL season.

‘There’s a lot of interest in this case and they are literally in hiding and they are suffering,’ he told Melbourne radio station 3AW on Friday.

‘They want their voice to be heard,’ Mr Karantzis said.

He was investigating a civil claim against the club in addition to individuals and said that the Swans hadn’t been fully transparent as to who was involved and what had occurred.

He also said he understood that there were more than five people in the room.

The Swans have ‘categorically’ stated none of their staff were there and are not involved in the investigation.

The AFL’s integrity unit is also investigating.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028



Source link

Share.
Exit mobile version