A senior MP has called for Parliament to launch a treason probe into Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and Lord Mandelson’s links to Jeffrey Epstein.

Former security minister Tom Tugendhat said a special committee of MPs, peers and retired judges should look into the implications for the state.

He said the issues go ‘beyond what a court could reasonably consider’ – suggesting the inquiry should be able to summon witnesses and demand evidence.

The former prince and Lord Mandelson are being investigated by police over allegations of misconduct in public office. Both deny any criminal wrongdoing.

Mr Mountbatten-Windsor is accused of passing Epstein confidential material from his time as a government trade envoy. He has been arrested and released while the investigation continues.

New Labour architect Lord Mandelson is accused of emailing sensitive Cabinet information to Epstein at the height of the Credit Crunch, while he was a minister in Gordon Brown’s administration.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor (pictured last year) and Lord Mandelson are being investigated by police over allegations of misconduct in public office. Both deny any criminal wrongdoing

Lord Mandelson – who has also had his two properties searched by police – was seen leaving his north London home yesterday

Mr Tugendhat, a Tory MP, told the Sun on Sunday: ‘This affair raises urgent questions about foreign influence and national security. What did the Palace know? What did ministers know? What else is being hidden?

‘This goes beyond what a court could reasonably consider. Parliament must consider what it means for the country. If the worst is proved, do we need to revisit treason laws written 700 years ago?

He added: ‘If these accusations are true, they expose something rotten at the top of the State. If they are not, the public needs proof that the guardrails are strong.

‘Either way, Parliament must send a clear message – Britain will defend itself from every threat, even if it comes from the very top.’

Mr Mountbatten-Windsor spent 11 hours in police custody on Thursday, on his 66th birthday, before being released under investigation, after allegations he shared sensitive information with Epstein during his time as the UK’s trade envoy.

Detectives continued to search his former home, Royal Lodge, in Windsor, Berkshire, on Friday and Saturday.

He has denied any wrongdoing over his links to the convicted sex offender, but has not directly responded to the latest allegations.

Despite being stripped of his title last year, the former Duke of York is still eighth in line to the throne and an Act of Parliament would be required to remove Andrew and prevent him from ever becoming king.

Former security minister Tom Tugendhat said a special committee of MPs, peers and retired judges should look into the implications for the state

It is understood Keir Starmer’s Government will consider introducing such legislation once police have finished their investigation into the King’s disgraced brother.

Lord Mandelson – who has also had his two properties searched by police – was seen leaving his north London home yesterday.

A taxi arrived as the former business secretary was seen leaving his front door carrying a tote bag. He smiled at the taxi driver before entering the car, moving past a small group of waiting photographers.



Source link

Share.
Exit mobile version