Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Unbelievable mercy plea from jailed female electrician who doused her childhood friend with petrol and set him on fire for making ‘get back to the kitchen’ joke

    Ghanaian trio Elisha, Gideon and Senaya secure Ligue 1 survival with AJ Auxerre on final day

    Two-year-old girl crushed to death by 80lb dresser she was climbing as she tried to reach toy

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Mother’s devastating admission in court after horror crash that killed her twin girls
    International

    Mother’s devastating admission in court after horror crash that killed her twin girls

    Papa LincBy Papa LincDecember 2, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read1 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Mother’s devastating admission in court after horror crash that killed her twin girls
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    By DAVID SOUTHWELL FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

    Published: 07:04 EST, 2 December 2024 | Updated: 07:06 EST, 2 December 2024

    A young mother has broken down in court as she pleaded guilty to carless driving over the horror highway crash which killed her seven-year-old twins.

    Rachel Van Oyen, 32, was driving the Toyota Camry that veered off Western Australia‘s Great Eastern Highway and hit a tree in the state’s Wheatbelt region 300km east of Perth in February.

    She and her young daughters Macey and Riley had been travelling back to Perth after visiting relatives in Kalgoorlie. 

    Van Oyen escaped with only minor injuries while Macey and Riley died at the scene.

    On the stretch of road where the smash occurred, visible tyre skid marks showed that the car had heavily braked as it veered off the single lane highway. 

    Van Oyen was charged with two counts of careless driving causing death, grievous bodily harm or bodily harm.

    She pleaded guilty to both charges in Northam Magistrates Court on Monday.

    It was the first time Van Oyen had appeared in court in person since the charges were laid.

    Mother’s devastating admission in court after horror crash that killed her twin girls

    Rachel Van Oyen pictured with her twin daughters Macey and Riley who died after a horror smash on a remote stretch of highway in Perth

    The fatal crash happened on the Great Eastern Highway with the Toyota Camry hitting a tree 300km east of Perth in the WA's Wheatbelt.

    The fatal crash happened on the Great Eastern Highway with the Toyota Camry hitting a tree 300km east of Perth in the WA’s Wheatbelt.

    At previous hearing her lawyer Michael Ryan told the court ‘significant psychological issues’ caused by the crash had prevented Van Oyen from attending.

    Mr Ryan said it was ‘extremely traumatic’ going through the evidence of the crash with his client and that he ‘didn’t want to do that to her again’.

    In the days following the crash Van Oyen posted on Facebook that ‘nothing makes sense now’ and that it ‘should have been me’ who died.

    ‘What I would give to take your places, my precious girls,” she wrote.

    Following the fatal crash Ms van Oyen said there were no words to ‘describe this emptiness and pain I’m drowning in’

    “I have never felt so helpless as I did that day. All I could do was try to hold you briefly even though you’d both grown wings.

    ‘In a blink of an eye everything changed. My entire world fell apart, vanished. There are still no words to describe this emptiness and pain I’m drowning in.

    ‘Nothing makes sense now, you two were my absolute world and nothing made me more complete than being your mother. 

    ‘I hope you both know how truly sorry I am.’

    Social media posts by family and friends described the little girls as ‘magical little twins’ and ‘true sunshine souls’.

    WA Premier Roger Cook previously described the incident at the time as an ‘absolute tragedy’.

    A Gofundme page set up by a family member to ‘help Rachel’ has raised over $53,000.

    ‘Macey and Riley brought us so much love and joy, and as hard as it is without them, our lives were made better by their short existence,’ the page stated.

    ‘They were vibrant, cheeky, and beautiful young girls who had so much life and promise ahead of them.’

    Ms Van Oyen will be sentenced in March next year.

    Share or comment on this article:
    Mother’s devastating admission in court after horror crash that killed her twin girls



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleI want to build a cohesive, disciplined Black Stars – Otto Addo
    Next Article “Na next of kin dey spray money” – Nigerian man left astonished as hype woman performs at funeral, requests money in Delta State (VIDEO)
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Unbelievable mercy plea from jailed female electrician who doused her childhood friend with petrol and set him on fire for making ‘get back to the kitchen’ joke

    May 18, 2026

    Two-year-old girl crushed to death by 80lb dresser she was climbing as she tried to reach toy

    May 18, 2026

    See trans killer’s calm confession after she shot both parents dead over gender transition fight

    May 18, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025138 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026118 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025101 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202670 Views
    Don't Miss
    International May 18, 2026

    Unbelievable mercy plea from jailed female electrician who doused her childhood friend with petrol and set him on fire for making ‘get back to the kitchen’ joke

    A woman who set her childhood friend on fire while drunk after he ‘pushed my…

    Ghanaian trio Elisha, Gideon and Senaya secure Ligue 1 survival with AJ Auxerre on final day

    Two-year-old girl crushed to death by 80lb dresser she was climbing as she tried to reach toy

    See the moment the NRL’s showpiece Magic Round is marred as two fans punch on in the stands

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Unbelievable mercy plea from jailed female electrician who doused her childhood friend with petrol and set him on fire for making ‘get back to the kitchen’ joke

    Ghanaian trio Elisha, Gideon and Senaya secure Ligue 1 survival with AJ Auxerre on final day

    Two-year-old girl crushed to death by 80lb dresser she was climbing as she tried to reach toy

    Most Popular

    Lyrical Joe Drops New Single “Julie” Featuring BeezTrap KOTM – A Perfect Blend of Trap Music and Rap Music

    November 15, 20240 Views

    The North Pole is moving towards Russia: Experts are baffled by meandering magnetic north that could play havoc with your smartphone

    November 16, 20240 Views

    Urgent health warning is issued over fears Aussies have been exposed to measles in Sydney

    November 16, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.