Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    WBC reconoce a Rafael «Bazooka» Limón por su Valentía, Familia y Corazón Verde y Oro

    England’s friendliest places where residents chat to neighbours and have a sense of pride are revealed…but beware the least friendly areas

    Tourism Society of Ghana to launch Youth in Tourism Festival 2026

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Ministers blocked a bid to ban pro-Palestine ‘hate marches’ last month, despite warning they are stoking antisemitism in Britain
    International

    Ministers blocked a bid to ban pro-Palestine ‘hate marches’ last month, despite warning they are stoking antisemitism in Britain

    Papa LincBy Papa LincApril 30, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read7 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Ministers blocked a bid to ban pro-Palestine ‘hate marches’ last month, despite warning they are stoking antisemitism in Britain
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    By JASON GROVES, POLITICAL EDITOR

    Published: 18:02 EDT, 30 April 2026 | Updated: 18:02 EDT, 30 April 2026

    Ministers blocked attempts to ban pro-Palestine ‘hate marches’ last month, despite warning they are fuelling antisemitism.

    Keir Starmer and Shabana Mahmood have both hinted they will consider a ban on the marches, which have become a feature in towns across the UK following the October 7 Hamas attack on Israel.

    The Home Secretary said on Thursday there were ‘far too many instances’ of hate crimes being committed during the demonstrations – and suggested she is considering new powers to ban them where they are having a ‘cumulative effect’.

    But the Mail can reveal that ministers voted down similar proposals put forward last month in the House of Lords, meaning that any crackdown is likely to be delayed.

    Instead, the government introduced weaker restrictions that allow the police to place conditions on repeat marches, but do not permit them to be banned.

    Lord Walney, the government’s former adviser on political violence, warned that promises of a crackdown following the latest attack on the Jewish community would ‘ring hollow’ with many.

    The former Labour MP said: ‘I’m afraid the Jewish community does see the government’s response as appallingly weak because they have been asking for these marches to be banned for years. We are now seeing the horrifying consequences of inaction, which is that people are being stabbed for being Jewish.

    ‘Every time there is an attack we hear the government say they will do whatever it takes. But those words do ring hollow when they are rejecting proposals that might actually make a difference. I hope now that we will see a swift U-turn.’

    Ministers blocked a bid to ban pro-Palestine ‘hate marches’ last month, despite warning they are stoking antisemitism in Britain

    Controversial: Pro-Palestine marches have become a regular feature in the UK since October 7

    Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood blocked a ban on so-called 'hate marches' last month, but now warns they can fuel anstisemitism

    Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood blocked a ban on so-called ‘hate marches’ last month, but now warns they can fuel anstisemitism

    Jonathan Hall, the government’s independent reviewer of terrorism legislation, called for a ‘moratorium’ on pro-Palestine marches, saying it was ‘clearly impossible’ to prevent them ‘incubating’ antisemitic language.

    ‘We are now at a point at which the Government starts to need to start to take more risks as to what it’s prepared to do,’ he told Times Radio.

    ‘It pains me to say this, but I think we may have reached a point where we need to have a moratorium on the sorts of marches that have been happening.’

    Kemi Badenoch joined calls for a crackdown on marches, saying it was ‘quite clear they are used as a cover for violence and intimidation against Jews’.

    In a televised address in Downing Street, the Prime Minister insisted that the government would finally act – but warned that members of the public also had to help stamp out a problem that is ‘about society every bit as much as it is about security’.

    Sir Keir confirmed that the government would provide a further £25 million to beef up security in Jewish communities.

    He suggested that ministers will act to proscribe Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps as a terrorist organisation, saying there was ‘no doubt’ that Iran wanted to ‘harm British Jews‘.

    And he urged those attending pro-Palestine marches to challenge antisemitic behaviour such as banners glorifying the 7 October attacks and chants like ‘globalise the intifada’, which he described as ‘extreme racism’.

    Share or comment on this article:
    Ministers blocked a bid to ban pro-Palestine ‘hate marches’ last month, despite warning they are stoking antisemitism in Britain



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleFIFA accepts new laws ahead of World Cup
    Next Article CAF unanimously backs Gianni Infantino for 2027 FIFA re-Election
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    England’s friendliest places where residents chat to neighbours and have a sense of pride are revealed…but beware the least friendly areas

    August 19, 2026

    Surrogate who refused to abort baby with heart defect is now being SUED by infant’s parents after they were handed custody of the youngster

    August 19, 2026

    Family who drowned off Sussex beach were a Palestinian refugee, his wife and daughter – as video shows moment lifeboat battled heavy seas in desperate search for victims

    August 19, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025147 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025114 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202678 Views
    Don't Miss
    Sports August 19, 2026

    WBC reconoce a Rafael «Bazooka» Limón por su Valentía, Familia y Corazón Verde y Oro

    En el marco de la tradicional reunión semanal de Martes de Café, celebrada en las…

    England’s friendliest places where residents chat to neighbours and have a sense of pride are revealed…but beware the least friendly areas

    Tourism Society of Ghana to launch Youth in Tourism Festival 2026

    Seven decades of US regime change efforts: What have they achieved? | Conflict News

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    WBC reconoce a Rafael «Bazooka» Limón por su Valentía, Familia y Corazón Verde y Oro

    England’s friendliest places where residents chat to neighbours and have a sense of pride are revealed…but beware the least friendly areas

    Tourism Society of Ghana to launch Youth in Tourism Festival 2026

    Most Popular

    “Dad can’t wait to marry you off” – Bride’s father eagerly approves the couple’s union with a swift ‘Yes’ answer on their wedding day (WATCH)

    November 21, 20240 Views

    Ring camera captures young couple calmly coming and going after killing ‘grandfather’

    November 21, 20240 Views

    Alan Kyerematen says the NPP is a declining party and advises Ghanaians to look beyond it.

    November 23, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.