Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza

    Infantino defies FIFA vice president, makes appearance in the Caribbean | Football News

    Mayors to get powers to bulldoze through major housing developments under Andy Burnham devolution push

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Mayors to get powers to bulldoze through major housing developments under Andy Burnham devolution push
    International

    Mayors to get powers to bulldoze through major housing developments under Andy Burnham devolution push

    Papa LincBy Papa LincAugust 23, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read0 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Mayors to get powers to bulldoze through major housing developments under Andy Burnham devolution push
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    By JAMES TAPSFIELD, UK POLITICAL EDITOR

    Published: 03:05 EDT, 23 August 2026 | Updated: 03:07 EDT, 23 August 2026

    Mayors are to get powers to bulldoze through major housing developments under Andy Burnham‘s devolution push.

    The local leaders will be able to overrule councils to green light significant building projects – or block them. 

    As well as ‘calling in’ decisions made by authorities, mayors will be allowed to grant upfront permission so developers do not even have to apply.

    The move comes as Labour looks doomed to fall short of its manifesto pledge to build 1.5million homes in England over five years.

    However, fears have been raised that the objections of residents will be ignored.  

    The proposals will initially apply to developments of more than 150 homes, commercial spaces of more than 15,000 square metres or any building 30 metres or taller – roughly 10 storeys.

    Ten of the 14 devolved mayors have backed the move.

    Mayors to get powers to bulldoze through major housing developments under Andy Burnham devolution push

    Mayors are to get powers to bulldoze through major housing developments under Andy Burnham’s (pictured) devolution push

    London Mayor Lord Khan was already given the powers earlier this year in an ’emergency measure’ aimed at unblocking dozens of stalled sites to get thousands more affordable homes built in the capital.

    Mr Burnham acknowledged in an interview with the Sunday Times that the change removed power from councillors, MPs and local people.

    He said: ‘Sometimes… challenge does need to be made to local decision-making, and actually it cuts both ways.

    ‘It’s not all about Nimbyism. Sometimes it’s the other way round.

    ‘It’s a local authority putting forward something that’s unacceptable in terms of the impact on the community… so it’s a two-way street.’

    The decisions must be in line with planning rules, local plans set out for areas and the national policy. Ministers will retain a backstop power to intervene.

    Mayors will also get more of a say on how national housing funding from Homes England will be spent in their areas.

    And they will be able to charge a levy on development to fund major infrastructure.

    A consultation on the proposals is due to be unveiled soon.

    The Lib Dems said the move was a ‘direct attack’ that would silence residents.

    Gideon Amos, the party’s housing and planning spokesperson, said: ‘Taking powers away from communities and local councillors is taking powers away from local people. This plan is a direct attack on communities across the country.

    ‘Labour’s chaotic patchwork approach to devolution will simply not work to solve the housing crisis.

    ‘Instead of silencing residents and handing mayors a blank cheque, the Government should be empowering local councils with the resources to deliver genuinely affordable homes alongside the infrastructure to support them.’

    Share or comment on this article:
    Mayors to get powers to bulldoze through major housing developments under Andy Burnham devolution push



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleBoxing News: Teófimo vence fácilmente a Rolly y gana el campeonato mundial AMB de las 147 libras » August 23, 2026
    Next Article Infantino defies FIFA vice president, makes appearance in the Caribbean | Football News
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Strong crowds turn out as Sydney Swans hit field for first time since alleged sexual assault probe – but some fans walk out: ‘Respect women’

    August 23, 2026

    Mom viciously beat her daughter, 2, to death… then demanded ghoulish ‘after life’ photoshoot and told people the girl ‘choked on a banana’

    August 23, 2026

    Audio reveals moment American Airlines passenger’s laptop EXPLODES in flames mid-flight as smoke fills cabin and five people treated for burns in Dallas

    August 23, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025148 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025115 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202679 Views
    Don't Miss
    News August 23, 2026

    Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza

    The Minister for Roads and Highways, Governs Kwame Agbodza, says less than 20 kilometres of…

    Infantino defies FIFA vice president, makes appearance in the Caribbean | Football News

    Mayors to get powers to bulldoze through major housing developments under Andy Burnham devolution push

    Boxing News: Teófimo vence fácilmente a Rolly y gana el campeonato mundial AMB de las 147 libras » August 23, 2026

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza

    Infantino defies FIFA vice president, makes appearance in the Caribbean | Football News

    Mayors to get powers to bulldoze through major housing developments under Andy Burnham devolution push

    Most Popular

    I got intimate with 2500 women in 2019 alone – Oboy Siki brags

    November 26, 20240 Views

    Dreams FC assistant coach urges players to improve after tough start to the season

    November 28, 20240 Views

    Kwaysi collaborates with DJ Boat for Christmas anthem

    November 29, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.