Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    ‘I have been called a Monkey before’– Thierry Henry shows solidarity with Vinícius

    ‘Kayamata’ is from the marine kingdom – Nigel Gaisie

    Two arrested for GH¢150,000 bribery attempt in mega Tema drug bust

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Laos doctor who treated ‘methanol poisoning’ victim, 19, has told of how she went from confused to comatose in half an hour then died nine days later
    International

    Laos doctor who treated ‘methanol poisoning’ victim, 19, has told of how she went from confused to comatose in half an hour then died nine days later

    Papa LincBy Papa LincNovember 24, 2024No Comments4 Mins Read4 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Laos doctor who treated ‘methanol poisoning’ victim, 19, has told of how she went from confused to comatose in half an hour then died nine days later
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    A doctor who treated a teenage backpacker killed by poisoned alcohol in Laos has told how she went from confused to suffering a coma within just half an hour. 

    Holly Bowles, 19, of Melbourne, Australia, died from suspected methanol poisoning on Friday during her travels, just one day after the death of her best friend Bianca Jones. 

    Dr Yaher, from the district hospital in the town of Vang Vieng, was the first medical professional to treat Ms Bowles – one of six tourists who lost their life after consuming spirits contaminated with the chemical methanol.

    Ms Bowles passed away in hospital in Thailand on Friday, nine days after being taken to Dr Yaher’s emergency room, just yards from the Nana Backpacker Hostel. 

    The youngster and her friend Ms Jones collapsed at the hostel after accepting free spirit shots two nights prior. 

    The doctor described Ms Bowles’s condition upon arriving at the hospital, saying she went from a state of confusion to a coma within half an hour. 

    He told The Times: ‘She was confused and she was sleepy. We asked her what she had eaten or drunk, but she didn’t know what had happened.’ 

    Dr Yaher suspected the teenager may have consumed too many cannabis-infused gummies that are common among tourists on the ‘banana pancake trail’ that they were taking. 

    Laos doctor who treated ‘methanol poisoning’ victim, 19, has told of how she went from confused to comatose in half an hour then died nine days later

    Australian teenager Holly Bowles, 19, (pictured) died after suffering alleged methanol poisoning during a holiday in Laos with her best friend

    Melbourne teen Bianca Jones (pictured) also died in hospital on Thursday

    Melbourne teen Bianca Jones (pictured) also died in hospital on Thursday

    After suffering a seizure and going into a coma, Ms Bowles was initially taken via ambulance to Kasemrad International Hospital, before being rushed to Setthathirath Hospital in Vientiane.

    She was then transferred for treatment in nearby Thailand. 

    Ms Bowles tragically lost her life there on November 22, just one day after 19-year-old Ms Jones and four others who had been staying at the hostel also passed away. 

    Ms Bowles’s family said in a statement: ‘It is with broken hearts, and we are so sad to say that our beautiful girl Holly is now at peace. 

    ‘We find comfort and solace in knowing that Holly brought so much joy and happiness to so many people.

    ‘Holly was living her best life travelling through South East Asia meeting new friends and enjoying incredible experiences.

    ‘As her parents we were always so incredibly proud of everything Holly did. Holly was an amazing big sister to James and she always looked out for him.’ 

    Ms Bowles and Ms Jones had been on a gap year holiday when they both fell ill on November 12.

    Simone White, 28, from the UK, is one of six tourists to have died after falling ill last week

    Simone White, 28, from the UK, is one of six tourists to have died after falling ill last week 

    CCTV from inside the hostel shows one of the women being transported to a local clinic on the back of a motorbike being driven by a hotel staff worker

    CCTV from inside the hostel shows one of the women being transported to a local clinic on the back of a motorbike being driven by a hotel staff worker 

    Hostel manager and bartender Duong Duc Toan (pictured), claimed it wasn't his Tiger Vodka that made the tourists sick

    Hostel manager and bartender Duong Duc Toan (pictured), claimed it wasn’t his Tiger Vodka that made the tourists sick

    The town is a popular spot for young backpackers, especially those on a gap year or in their early 20s

    The town is a popular spot for young backpackers, especially those on a gap year or in their early 20s

    Staff became concerned after they failed to check out on November 13 and arranged to take the pair to hospital after they ‘calmly’ asked for assistance.

    CCTV from inside the hostel shows one of the women being transported to a local clinic on the back of a motorbike being driven by a hotel staff worker.

    Earlier on Thursday, the US State Department confirmed the death of a US citizen, a 56-year-old man, in Vang Vieng.

    British lawyer Simone White, 28, also died, while the Danish Ministry for Foreign Affairs confirmed two young women from Denmark also passed away.

    Previously the manager of the hostel, Duong Duc Toan, was detained by local police.

    An officer at Vang Vieng’s Tourism Police office, who refused to give his name, said on Friday that a ‘number of people’ had been detained in the case but that no charges had yet been filed.

    Staff at the Nana Backpacker Hostel, which was still operating but not accepting new guests, confirmed that the manager and owner were among those taken in for questioning.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleWatch highlights of Hearts of Oak’s 1-1 draw against Nsoatreman
    Next Article Major Adjei-Ampofo recounts being brutally tortured by AFRC soldiers.
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Prince William ended friendship with ITV’s Tom Bradby after he felt ‘betrayed’ when journalist took part in Harry and Meghan’s Africa documentary, new book claims

    February 18, 2026

    Surrey sinkhole has still not been fixed after more than a year while families have been evacuated, shops shut and village ruined

    February 18, 2026

    The world’s biggest party is back! Rio Carnival returns with another samba spectacular featuring outrageous costumes and dancing till dawn

    February 18, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025121 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 202555 Views

    Night Of The Samurai Grand Arrivals Gallery » December 23, 2025

    December 24, 202554 Views

    Here’s why Ghana Airways collapsed in 2004

    November 5, 202454 Views
    Don't Miss
    Sports February 18, 2026

    ‘I have been called a Monkey before’– Thierry Henry shows solidarity with Vinícius

    Thierry Henry won the FIFA World Cup in 1998 Arsenal and France legend, Thierry Henry…

    ‘Kayamata’ is from the marine kingdom – Nigel Gaisie

    Two arrested for GH¢150,000 bribery attempt in mega Tema drug bust

    Prince William ended friendship with ITV’s Tom Bradby after he felt ‘betrayed’ when journalist took part in Harry and Meghan’s Africa documentary, new book claims

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    ‘I have been called a Monkey before’– Thierry Henry shows solidarity with Vinícius

    ‘Kayamata’ is from the marine kingdom – Nigel Gaisie

    Two arrested for GH¢150,000 bribery attempt in mega Tema drug bust

    Most Popular

    OK Frimpong reveals why he ‘singlehandedly’ sponsored Medikal’s O2 Ingido (London) occasion

    October 18, 20240 Views

    Seven dead after ferry dock gangway collapses on Georgia’s Sapelo Island

    October 20, 20240 Views

    WAEC releases 2024 BECE results; cancels entire results of 41 candidates

    October 20, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.