Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Sydney Swans coach and captain speak out after exotic dancer at centre of alleged hotel sexual assault scandal tells her story

    Food inflation never responded – Dr Yamson says Ghana must stop throwing money at short-term fixes

    Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges | Hong Kong Protests News

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»Africa News»Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges | Hong Kong Protests News
    Africa News

    Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges | Hong Kong Protests News

    Papa LincBy Papa LincAugust 21, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read2 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges | Hong Kong Protests News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    Activist group says the ‘twisted’ Hong Kong judicial system had long ago decided that the pair were guilty.

    Published On 21 Aug 202621 Aug 2026

    A Hong Kong court has found two pro-democracy activists guilty on national security charges in a trial widely viewed as exemplifying the erosion of freedom of expression in the Chinese city.

    Lee Cheuk-yan, 69, and Chow Hang-tung, 41, former leaders of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China, were found guilty of “incitement to subversion” for their role in organising candlelit vigils to mark Beijing’s deadly 1989 Tiananmen crackdown, in a Hong Kong court on Friday. The two had pleaded not guilty and were charged in 2021.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 3 itemsend of list

    The pair could face up to 10 years in jail. Sentencing is expected at a later date.

    Prosecutors argued that the pair “endanger[ed] national security in the name of human rights”.

    Chow, a human rights barrister who represented herself, told the court in May that the law itself was on trial.

    Friday’s verdict was “no surprise”, said Mark Clifford, president of the Committee for Freedom in Hong Kong Foundation.

    Hong Kong’s “twisted” judicial system had already decided the pair were guilty in 2021, he said. He described Lee and Chow as “true Chinese patriots” who were silenced because they “spoke truth to power” and “held up a mirror to the Chinese Communist Party”.

    Pro-democracy activists Lee Cheuk-yan, left, Cheung Man-kwong and Chow Hang-tung, centre right, at a 2019 vigil for the victims of the Tiananmen Square massacre. [File: REUTERS/Tyrone Siu]
    Pro-democracy activists, from left, Lee Cheuk-yan, Cheung Man-kwong and Chow Hang-tung, attend a 2019 vigil for the victims of the Tiananmen Square massacre [File: Tyrone Siu/Reuters]

    Hong Kong’s crackdown

    For three decades, the candlelight vigil organised by the alliance was the only large-scale public commemoration of the Tiananmen crackdown, drawing tens of thousands of people annually to mourn the victims in China. The event was banned in 2020 during the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic, weeks before Beijing imposed the security law on Hong Kong to quell the 2019 massive antigovernment protests.

    The alliance’s leaders have been behind bars since they were charged.

    Chow and Lee “exposed the Chinese government’s fears of the memory of its own atrocities”, Elaine Pearson, Asia director at Human Rights Watch, said, urging governments around the world to hold Beijing to account for erasing Hong Kong’s freedoms.

    Earlier this year, Jimmy Lai, 78, a media mogul and high-profile rights campaigner in Hong Kong, was found guilty on national security charges and sentenced to 20 years behind bars.

    Led ‘like a dog on a lead’

    In a personal blog published in the days leading up to the verdict, Chow detailed her treatment by correctional services, in which she described being led “like a dog on a lead”, shackled at the wrists, waist and ankles.

    She described a new method of restraint, with specialised handcuffs, as the source of significant pain during her long detention: “One can only ‘choose’ which part of the body shall suffer in turn” due to the bodily contortions forced by the restraints she has been held in.

    Chow is one of the few high-profile political prisoners detained in Hong Kong to continue to speak out publicly against the authorities.

    In June 1989, China’s government sent tanks and soldiers to crush a pro-democracy movement that had installed itself in Beijing’s central Tiananmen Square. Hundreds, possibly thousands, of people were killed by soldiers, and many were injured. Beijing has since sought to censor mention of the incident in China.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleBoxing News: MVP’s Serrano Vs. Manzur Press Conference » August 21, 2026
    Next Article Food inflation never responded – Dr Yamson says Ghana must stop throwing money at short-term fixes
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Pakistan’s Imran Khan moved to hospital after Supreme Court order | Politics News

    August 21, 2026

    After GERD, can Egypt shape Ethiopia’s next Nile dams? | News

    August 21, 2026

    Taliban release two detained UN staff members in Afghanistan | Human Rights News

    August 21, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025148 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025115 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202679 Views
    Don't Miss
    International August 21, 2026

    Sydney Swans coach and captain speak out after exotic dancer at centre of alleged hotel sexual assault scandal tells her story

    Sydney Swans senior coach Dean Cox and captain Callum Mills faced the media this morning…

    Food inflation never responded – Dr Yamson says Ghana must stop throwing money at short-term fixes

    Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges | Hong Kong Protests News

    Boxing News: MVP’s Serrano Vs. Manzur Press Conference » August 21, 2026

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Sydney Swans coach and captain speak out after exotic dancer at centre of alleged hotel sexual assault scandal tells her story

    Food inflation never responded – Dr Yamson says Ghana must stop throwing money at short-term fixes

    Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges | Hong Kong Protests News

    Most Popular

    I got intimate with 2500 women in 2019 alone – Oboy Siki brags

    November 26, 20240 Views

    Dreams FC assistant coach urges players to improve after tough start to the season

    November 28, 20240 Views

    Jean Mensa and the current EC are the worst Ghana has witnessed

    November 28, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.