A group of Sydney Swans players could face club sanctions for staying out drinking into the early hours of Monday morning, separate to a police investigation into an alleged sexual assault.
The Swans and the AFL also face questions over whether any of the players caught up in the investigation should be stood down while police inquiries continue.
New details have emerged about the hours leading up to the alleged incident, with players reportedly returning to the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne in several groups between about 2.15am and 3.40am, the Herald Sun reported.
Some players were reportedly seen yelling on the street.
The late-night drinking could itself become an internal disciplinary matter for the club, regardless of the outcome of the police investigation over the alleged sexual assault.
The team were in Melbourne following its 36-point victory over Essendon at the MCG on Sunday, with the Pullman locate 200m from the stadium.
James Jordon was reportedly among players who arrived back at about 2.15am, while Isaac Heeney returned with another group about 15 minutes later.
The women at the centre of the allegations are reported to have arrived after 4am.
Several hours later, at about 7am, two women were seen in a shared area of the hotel approaching staff and demanding access to guest rooms, according to witnesses.
Coach Dean Cox was also reportedly out drinking with staff and returned to the hotel sometime after midnight
Swans captain Callum Mills arrived at the club’s headquarters on Tuesday morning and remained tight-lipped
One woman told hotel staff she had been ‘touched’ and felt overwhelmed while surrounded by several men in the room, according to what was overheard.
A witness said one of the women appeared ‘hysterical’ and ‘upset’ and later ran into the hotel toilets crying before police were called.
‘We have everything recorded of what those AFL players did to our friend in that room,’ one of the women was reported telling hotel staff.
Victoria Police subsequently attended the hotel and confirmed officers were investigating a report of sexual assault.
Heeney, Chad Warner, Jordon and Riley Bice have been reported as having been questioned by police over the allegations. The manager of a fifth player has denied that his client was spoken to by authorities.
The five players were reportedly driving back from Melbourne to Sydney on Monday night to avoid media at the airport.
Daily Mail does not suggest any of the players are under investigation or involved in any wrongdoing, just that they spoke to police about the alleged incident.
Swans coach Dean Cox was also reportedly out drinking with staff and returned to the hotel sometime after midnight.
Warner is dating Alice Hughes, who has no involvement whatsoever in the alleged incident (Picture: Instagram)
Isaac Heeney, pictured with fiancée Steffanie Waters, who is not connected to the alleged incident in Melbourne
He was grilled by television reporters as he arrived at Swans headquarters in Moore Park for club crisis talks shortly after 7am on Tuesday.
‘Obviously extremely disappointed with what’s happened,’ Cox said.
‘(I) understand the questions and we’ll update as we gather more information.’
Swans captain Mills was tight-lipped when he arrived at the club’s headquarters.
‘I can’t comment on it. We don’t know the facts. It’s as simple as that,’ Mills told reporters.
‘Sorry guys, thank you very much.’
As of Tuesday morning, no players had been charged in regards to the investigation, which is ongoing.
Heeney is engaged to long-time partner Steffanie Waters, while Chad Warner is in a relationship with Alice Hughes. Neither have spoken out about the alleged incident.
‘Police spoke to a number of people at the hotel, however no one has been arrested or formally interviewed at this time,’ police said.
Unlike the NRL, the AFL does not have a strict no-fault stand-down policy on players charged with serious offences such as sexual assault.If Sydney do choose to stand down players, it will likely become clear well before team selection later this week.
The Swans play North Melbourne at the MCG on Sunday.
Sydney are required to name their extended squad on Thursday evening, then cut that back to 23 players plus three emergencies on Friday.
Victorian Premier Ben Carroll has also spoken on the incident, sharing his support for the alleged victims.
‘It is so important that every girl, woman, not only feels safe but is safe and knows that they are protected and that they can be safe going about their everyday lives,’ he said on Tuesday.
‘This is horrible what has been reported. It is under police investigation.
‘But every young woman, young girl, every female deserves to be treated with respect and to be given the safety that they deserve.
‘At the state government, we have a lot of victim support services, and they will be available for any victim, including this person.’

