Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Monster Energy Scores Three Wins at UFC 330

    Paedophile fireman used loophole to keep changing his identity: Calls to change law as the Daily Mail exposes shocking case of pervert with 20 aliases

    France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s
    News

    France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s

    Papa LincBy Papa LincAugust 16, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read1 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    France’s top court has struck down a ban on social media for under-15s, saying it infringed upon freedom of expression.

    The legislation was backed by French lawmakers in July, making it the first European country to block young people from the platforms, after concerns over the harmful effects on children’s mental health.

    Friday’s ruling by the Constitutional Council overrides the ban, which Emmanuel Macron had pledged to introduce in stages starting in September.

    Responding to the news, the French president immediately asked Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu to prepare a new draft that would take into account all the council’s points.

    After lawmakers voted through the bill last month, Lecornu referred parts of the legislation to the council – a nine-member authority that checks whether a law complies with the constitution – for review.

    The Constitutional Councilsaid it had found that Article 1 of the legislation “constitutes an infringement that is neither appropriate, necessary, nor proportionate” to the freedom of expression and communication for under-15s.

    The ruling also raised concerns over the law’s requirement to provide proof of age to access online services and said it failed to establish “the legal safeguards necessary”.

    Macron’s office said after the ruling that the French government would work “as quickly as possible” to propose a new draft and said the president was determined to see the reform implemented by early 2027.

    The original legislation had envisaged that from September all those under-15 would not be able to open accounts, and verification would be required on all new accounts. And from January, this would have applied to all existing accounts.

    Opponents have repeatedly questioned the law’s viability and raised concerns over privacy, the efficacy of age-verification tools, the risks of young people bypassing them, and how quickly the ban has been designed and brought in.

    Australia was the first country to introduce last December a social media ban for those under-16, although it is widely acknowledged that many in the country continue to use the platforms.

    Legislation restricting young people’s access to social media has been ramping up around Europe in the past few months.

    In May, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen proposed a “social media delay” for children in the EU, saying new legislation could be put forward in months.

    In the UK, former British Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer announced in June that under-16s in the UK will be banned from social media from January 2027. An optional midnight curfew for UK teens aged 16 and 17 was also announced.

    DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.

    DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.



    Source link
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleHundreds of migrants arrested near Ceuta border in latest crackdown | Migration News
    Next Article Paedophile fireman used loophole to keep changing his identity: Calls to change law as the Daily Mail exposes shocking case of pervert with 20 aliases
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Paedophile fireman used loophole to keep changing his identity: Calls to change law as the Daily Mail exposes shocking case of pervert with 20 aliases

    August 16, 2026

    Hundreds of migrants arrested near Ceuta border in latest crackdown | Migration News

    August 16, 2026

    Miracle for little girl, 2, after horrified mom found her drowned in basement during devastating Indiana floods that killed at least 7 others

    August 16, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025147 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025114 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202678 Views
    Don't Miss
    Sports August 17, 2026

    Monster Energy Scores Three Wins at UFC 330

    Three wins in Philly! Monster Energy congratulates MMA athletes Mackenzie Dern, Jalin Turner, and Esteban…

    Paedophile fireman used loophole to keep changing his identity: Calls to change law as the Daily Mail exposes shocking case of pervert with 20 aliases

    France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s

    Hundreds of migrants arrested near Ceuta border in latest crackdown | Migration News

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Monster Energy Scores Three Wins at UFC 330

    Paedophile fireman used loophole to keep changing his identity: Calls to change law as the Daily Mail exposes shocking case of pervert with 20 aliases

    France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s

    Most Popular

    “Dad can’t wait to marry you off” – Bride’s father eagerly approves the couple’s union with a swift ‘Yes’ answer on their wedding day (WATCH)

    November 21, 20240 Views

    Ring camera captures young couple calmly coming and going after killing ‘grandfather’

    November 21, 20240 Views

    Alan Kyerematen says the NPP is a declining party and advises Ghanaians to look beyond it.

    November 23, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.