Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Mission International School donates to Ghana Weightlifting team

    Woman passes out after couple are lashed 100 times for having sex outside marriage under Indonesian province’s Sharia law

    NAC Breda part ways with Matthew Amoah following relegation

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Four migrants die in Channel crossing attempt – as France rejects Britain’s offer to intercept and return small boats
    International

    Four migrants die in Channel crossing attempt – as France rejects Britain’s offer to intercept and return small boats

    Papa LincBy Papa LincApril 9, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read3 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Four migrants die in Channel crossing attempt – as France rejects Britain’s offer to intercept and return small boats
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    At least four migrants have died during an attempted Channel crossing – as France rejected Britain’s offer to intercept and return small boats.

    The vessel, which was overloaded with dozens of migrants, got into trouble off the coast of Boulogne early this morning. 

    A large rescue operation was launched just after 7am, with onlookers seeing several bodies floating in the water off the town of Equihen-Plage. 

    Francois-Xavier Lauch, the prefect of Pas-de-Calais, said two men and two women had died, with 42 others rescued. 

    He described the vessel as a ‘taxiboat’, which refers to a vessel used to ferry migrants from beaches to dinghies waiting offshore. 

    Two migrants died on April 1 during another attempted crossing. They were the first fatalities of the year, with 36 people dying in 2025.  

    It comes as Emmanuel Macron‘s government rejected a proposal from Shabana Mahmood to allow Border Force vessels to intercept boats in French waters.

    The plan was put forward as negotiations continue to renew a multimillion-pound migrant patrol deal between UK and France. The current agreement was set to expire in March but was extended by two months while both sides haggle over new terms.

    An estimated 137 migrants crossed the Channel yesterday as smugglers took advantage of calm weather, with French police seen standing idly by as groups of men piled into dinghies off Dunkirk. Crossings have topped 5,000 so far this year. 

    Four migrants die in Channel crossing attempt – as France rejects Britain’s offer to intercept and return small boats

    A large rescue operation was launched just after 7am, with onlookers seeing several bodies floating in the water 

    A tent was set up to handle victims of the incident in the northern coastal city of Equihen-Plage

    A tent was set up to handle victims of the incident in the northern coastal city of Equihen-Plage

    Survivors of the incident were handed thermal blankets by emergency responders

    Survivors of the incident were handed thermal blankets by emergency responders  

    Speaking of the four people who died today, Mr Lauch said: ‘They were already quite far into the sea.

    ‘The currents, which can be dangerous here, swept them away.

    ‘This provisional toll – and I insist that it is provisional – states four deceased: two men, two women.’ 

    One person also suffered hypothermia, and another 37 other people are currently being treated by emergency services.

    A number of dinghies are currently at sea and being monitored by the French authorities, including a military helicopter, Mr Lauch added.

    ‘The responsibility lies with the smugglers,’ he told reporters.

    There are fears a failure to strike a new deal on funding for beach patrols could turbocharge crossings even further over the warm summer months. 

    During the negotiations British officials proposed deploying vessels from its fleet of six 42-metre Border Force cutters and five commercial transfer vessels in addition to rigid inflatable boats.

    The plan would have seen British vessels intercept small boats before they reached UK waters before taking the migrants on board and returning them to northern France. 

    Currently, Border Force pick up migrants once they have crossed into UK territorial waters to prevent casualties, before taking them ashore at Dover. 

    Police responding to this morning's incident, which has claimed at least four lives

    Police responding to this morning’s incident, which has claimed at least four lives 

    Victims board a bus to a reception and accommodation centre in northern France

    Victims board a bus to a reception and accommodation centre in northern France 

    French police stand idly by as migrants scramble towards dinghies off Dunkirk beach yesterday

    French police stand idly by as migrants scramble towards dinghies off Dunkirk beach yesterday  

    However, the proposal was rejected by the French because it would have involved British officers entering their territorial waters – which they described as a ‘red line’. 

    The details were revealed by French satirical newspaper Le Canard Enchaîné.

    It also revealed that British taxpayers have funded 100 new police vehicles for gendarme in the Pas de Calais – equivalent to a quarter of the total they have available. 

    The UK will pay France £16.5million to cover the cost of nearly 700 police officers patrolling northern France during the two-month extension, which expires in May.

    Taxpayers have already given £658million in security payments to France since 2018, a report by the House of Commons Library set out last yea 

    A Government spokesman said today: ‘We are deeply saddened to hear about the deaths in French waters today.

    ‘Every death in the Channel is a tragedy and a stark reminder of the dangers posed by criminal gangs exploiting vulnerable people for profit. We will continue working relentlessly with the French and our partners overseas to prevent these perilous journeys.

    ‘The French authorities are leading the response to this incident and we are supporting their investigation.’



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleArsenal beat Sporting with late Havertz goal in Champions League quarters
    Next Article Resident amused after spotting loved-up couple sharing playful moments on the street (WATCH)
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Woman passes out after couple are lashed 100 times for having sex outside marriage under Indonesian province’s Sharia law

    May 21, 2026

    Lib Dem councillor calls for volunteers to fill potholes and admits ‘we don’t have enough money to do the job’

    May 21, 2026

    Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews ‘boasted he was an arms dealer who worked with dangerous people’ in the weeks before his disappearance as insiders suggest ‘it’s as if he’s been writing a storyline’

    May 21, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025139 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026119 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025102 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202671 Views
    Don't Miss
    Sports May 21, 2026

    Mission International School donates to Ghana Weightlifting team

    Mission International School has donated professional sports tapes worth an estimated US$5,000 to the Ghana…

    Woman passes out after couple are lashed 100 times for having sex outside marriage under Indonesian province’s Sharia law

    NAC Breda part ways with Matthew Amoah following relegation

    Lib Dem councillor calls for volunteers to fill potholes and admits ‘we don’t have enough money to do the job’

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Mission International School donates to Ghana Weightlifting team

    Woman passes out after couple are lashed 100 times for having sex outside marriage under Indonesian province’s Sharia law

    NAC Breda part ways with Matthew Amoah following relegation

    Most Popular

    Breakthrough in search for missing San Francisco man who vanished in 2017

    November 19, 20240 Views

    Tsikata praised Mahama’s govt because he enjoyed contracts under that regime

    November 20, 20240 Views

    Despite, Cheddar and other personalities who were spotted at funeral of the late Akyempimhene

    November 20, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.