Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Mahama disappointed by US opposition to UN slavery resolution

    ‘It was a tsunami’: Floods leave death trail in India’s Assam | Floods News

    Female teachers from Scots College make explosive claims about students’ ‘sexualised gestures’, deepfakes and wolf-whistles in wake of gang rape charges

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Ford holds talks with massive Chinese carmaker about bringing their technology into America… and Trump appears open to the plan
    International

    Ford holds talks with massive Chinese carmaker about bringing their technology into America… and Trump appears open to the plan

    Papa LincBy Papa LincApril 25, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read6 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Ford holds talks with massive Chinese carmaker about bringing their technology into America… and Trump appears open to the plan
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    Ford is in talks to bring a major Chinese carmaker’s technology to the United States, and President Donald Trump could be open to the plan.

    The discussions involve China‘s second-largest car manufacturer, Geely, and have been ongoing for more than a year, according to the Wall Street Journal.

    Chinese electric cars have become increasingly popular around the world thanks to their high tech and relatively low cost.

    But US carmakers have said they are struggling to compete, noting how China’s state subsidies back their foreign rivals.

    Earlier this year, Trump appeared to indicate that he might be open to Chinese cars in the US as long as they were built in the country and by American workers.

    ‘If they want to come in and build the plant and hire you and hire your friends and your neighbors, that’s great,’ Trump told the Detroit Economic Club on January 13. ‘I love that.’

    He added: ‘Let China come in, let Japan come in. They are and they’ll be building plants, but they’re using our labor.’

    Trump, who was speaking about his tariffs, also said he was ‘standing up for the American auto worker like no president has ever stood up before.’

    Ford holds talks with massive Chinese carmaker about bringing their technology into America… and Trump appears open to the plan

    In January, President Donald Trump seemed to indicate that he might be open to Chinese cars if they were built in the United States by American workers

    Geely and Ford are reportedly in discussions to bring the Chinese carmaker's technology stateside. Picture of a Geely car

    Geely and Ford are reportedly in discussions to bring the Chinese carmaker’s technology stateside. Picture of a Geely car

    Ford said that their 'commitment to a level playing field and safeguarding our home market remains absolute'

    Ford said that their ‘commitment to a level playing field and safeguarding our home market remains absolute’

    In wake of the report, Ford told the Wall Street Journal that their ‘commitment to a level playing field and safeguarding our home market remains absolute.’

    A spokesperson for Geely said that the Chinese carmaker kept ‘an open mind when it comes to exploring cooperative opportunities.’

    ‘Engaging in constructive industry dialogue is part of how we operate, but we do not comment on rumors or speculations regarding potential partnerships,’ Geely told the outlet.

    Ford CEO Jim Farley sounded the alarms on the potential ‘economic impact’ of allowing Chinese carmakers into the US earlier this month.

    ‘They have enough capacity in China to cover all of the manufacturing and all of the vehicle sales in the US,’ Farley told Fox and Friends on April 13.

    ‘Manufacturing is the heart and soul of our country, and for us to lose that to those exports would be devastating for our country,’ he added.

    Farley also voiced concerns about how China could ‘collect a lot of data’ and said ‘there is no way this is a fair fight.’ 

    Trump’s US trade representative, Jamieson Greer, previously suggested that ‘natural market forces’ would prevent Chinese cars from entering the US market.

    Greer pointed to how Joe Biden had effectively banned all Chinese vehicles from the US as one of his final acts in office.

    The Biden administration also implemented a 100 percent tariff on Chinese electric vehicles.

    ‘Those rules are effective,’ Greer said, according to the Detroit News.

    Geely said it was keeping 'an open mind when it comes to exploring cooperative opportunities.' Picture of a Geely Galaxy Light 2nd Generation concept car

    Geely said it was keeping ‘an open mind when it comes to exploring cooperative opportunities.’ Picture of a Geely Galaxy Light 2nd Generation concept car

    Ford CEO Jim Farley, pictured next to Trump, said earlier this month that China had enough capacity to 'cover all of the manufacturing and all of the vehicle sales' in the US

    Ford CEO Jim Farley, pictured next to Trump, said earlier this month that China had enough capacity to ‘cover all of the manufacturing and all of the vehicle sales’ in the US

    Geely, the second biggest carmaker in China, has reportedly been looking to expand into the American market for more than a year

    Geely, the second biggest carmaker in China, has reportedly been looking to expand into the American market for more than a year

    Geely’s global communications chief, Ash Sutcliffe, said in January that it was a question of ‘when and where will we go to the [US],’ according to the Wall Street Journal.

    However, discussions have reportedly stalled recently with a greater focus on Europe before potential expansion into America.

    The Chinese carmaker already has a presence in the US, as it is the majority owner of Swedish brands Volvo and Polestar, which sell cars stateside.

    Volvo already has a factory about 35 miles northwest of Charleston, South Carolina, which the carmaker said currently produces about 150,000 cars per year.

    Waymo, the Silicon Valley robotaxi company originally known as the Google self-driving car project, also has links to the Chinese brand.

    In 2021, Waymo announced that its cars would be designed and developed by Geely’s electric brand, Zeekr.

    The vehicles would be built in Sweden, then delivered to the US by Waymo for the self-driving to be fully integrated, according to a press release at the time.

    This January, Waymo announced that it would be rebranding the Chinese-branded robotaxi to instead be named Ojai – pronounced ‘oh, hi.’

    That move was made because Americans were not familiar with Zeekr, Waymo told TechCrunch.

    Chuck Schumer, of New York, was one of three Democratic senators to write Trump a letter urging him to 'stop Chinese automakers from jeopardizing American workers'

    Chuck Schumer, of New York, was one of three Democratic senators to write Trump a letter urging him to ‘stop Chinese automakers from jeopardizing American workers’

    Geely is the majority owner of Swedish brand Volvo, which has a factory (pictured) about 35 miles from Charleston, South Carolina

    Geely is the majority owner of Swedish brand Volvo, which has a factory (pictured) about 35 miles from Charleston, South Carolina

    Earlier this month, three Democratic senators – Chuck Schumer of New York, Elissa Slotkin of Michigan and Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin – demanded that Trump ‘stop Chinese automakers from jeopardizing American workers and risking our national security.’

    The lawmakers specifically pointed to Trump’s comment in January at the Detroit Economic Club when he said, ‘Let China come in,’ though they did not include the rest of his remarks.

    Schumer, Slotkin and Baldwin added that allowing Chinese automakers into the US would ‘only expedite Beijing’s path to global auto industry dominance, while American manufacturing and our workers will pay the price.’

    ‘While a new plant opened by a Chinese automaker in the United States may create some assembly and temporary construction jobs, that small number of jobs will not make up for the lasting job loss,’ the letter read.

    The Daily Mail has reached out to the White House, Ford and Geely for comment.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleBlack Stars coach Queiroz attend Black Galaxies friendly game
    Next Article Rightset Ghana Leads world table tennis day event in Ashongman
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Female teachers from Scots College make explosive claims about students’ ‘sexualised gestures’, deepfakes and wolf-whistles in wake of gang rape charges

    August 22, 2026

    Creep at center of massive search for missing women posted on his vile website bragged about acting as ‘perverted serial killer’ on unearthed podcast

    August 22, 2026

    Beloved mother, 30, of four young children killed in car crash after making two tragic mistakes

    August 22, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025148 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025115 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202679 Views
    Don't Miss
    News August 22, 2026

    Mahama disappointed by US opposition to UN slavery resolution

    President John Dramani Mahama has expressed disappointment with the decision by the United States to…

    ‘It was a tsunami’: Floods leave death trail in India’s Assam | Floods News

    Female teachers from Scots College make explosive claims about students’ ‘sexualised gestures’, deepfakes and wolf-whistles in wake of gang rape charges

    WNBA star unleashes furious X-rated tirade after ANOTHER game is disrupted by multiple sex toys thrown on court

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Mahama disappointed by US opposition to UN slavery resolution

    ‘It was a tsunami’: Floods leave death trail in India’s Assam | Floods News

    Female teachers from Scots College make explosive claims about students’ ‘sexualised gestures’, deepfakes and wolf-whistles in wake of gang rape charges

    Most Popular

    I got intimate with 2500 women in 2019 alone – Oboy Siki brags

    November 26, 20240 Views

    Dreams FC assistant coach urges players to improve after tough start to the season

    November 28, 20240 Views

    Kwaysi collaborates with DJ Boat for Christmas anthem

    November 29, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.