Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    £10k-a-year prep school threatens to name and shame parents parking ‘illegally and dangerously’ if residents send photographic evidence

    Laryea Kingston describes 2010 World Cup exclusion as unfair

    Elite Finnish divers join hunt for bodies of scuba team inside 200ft-long ‘shark cave’ – as Maldives tour firm insists it had no idea group planned to dive so deep

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Ethiopian asylum seeker, 23, ‘sexually assaulted worker’ at migrant hotel hit by protests
    International

    Ethiopian asylum seeker, 23, ‘sexually assaulted worker’ at migrant hotel hit by protests

    Papa LincBy Papa LincJanuary 21, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read3 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Ethiopian asylum seeker, 23, ‘sexually assaulted worker’ at migrant hotel hit by protests
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    By PATRICK HARRINGTON

    Published: 05:38 EST, 21 January 2026 | Updated: 06:16 EST, 21 January 2026

    An Ethiopian asylum seeker has been charged with sexually assaulting a member of staff at a hotel housing migrants.

    Melaku Gebresembet, 23, is accused of molesting a worker at Highfield House Hotel in Southampton, which has been the focus of regular anti-immigration protests.

    Gebresembet is understood to have been staying at the hotel on Highfield Lane at the time of the alleged assault, alongside over 100 other asylum seekers.

    Protestors, mainly from the group Southampton Patriots, have held regular rallies outside the hotel over the past few months, demonstrating against its use for housing migrants.

    A restaurant next door claimed ‘ongoing issues’ with the hotel forced it to close down after 20 years of business earlier this month.

    Gebresembet was remanded in custody to appear at Southampton Magistrates’ Court this morning.

    A Hampshire Constabulary spokesman said: ‘Officers investigating a sexual assault on a staff member at Highfield House Hotel have charged a man.

    ‘The incident, which occurred on Friday (January 16), was reported on Monday morning (January 19).

    Ethiopian asylum seeker, 23, ‘sexually assaulted worker’ at migrant hotel hit by protests

    Highfield House Hotel in Southampton, where a resident asylum seeker is accused of molesting a member of staff

    Anti-migrant protests have been a regular fixture outside the hotel in recent months

    Anti-migrant protests have been a regular fixture outside the hotel in recent months 

    ‘Following that report, officers immediately attended the hotel to take statements and identify and arrest the alleged suspect.

    ‘We have now charged Melaku Gebresembet, 23, of Highfield Lane, Southampton, with sexual assault.

    ‘He is an Ethiopian national, and has been remanded in custody to appear at Southampton Magistrates’ Court this morning (January 21).’

    The hotel has been at the centre of weekly anti-immigration protests in recent months, which are regularly met with counter-demonstrations from anti-racism groups. 

    Ceno Bar and Restaurant, which shares a building with Highfield House Hotel, closed down at the beginning of this month.

    Its managers said migrants had damaged the business and made it almost ‘impossible to operate’.

    They claimed the car park was locked for months and that the hotel owners repeatedly ignored their pleas for help.  

    Ceno Restaurant was part of the Highfield House Hotel building in Southampton

    Ceno Restaurant was part of the Highfield House Hotel building in Southampton

    UKIP party leader Nick Tenconi at an anti-migrant protest outside the hotel in October

    UKIP party leader Nick Tenconi at an anti-migrant protest outside the hotel in October

    A spokesperson for the eatery, which specialises in British food, said: ‘It is with great sadness that we announce that Ceno Restaurant closed its doors on January 1, 2026.

    ‘Despite every effort to continue trading, it has become frustratingly impossible to operate due to ongoing issues connected with the Highfield Hotel in which we are located, which has now become home to over 100 illegal immigrants.

    ‘The hotel owners have ignored our communication for help to assist with ongoing damage caused by the hotel residents and have locked the car park for many months, meaning our customers have been unable to park and access the restaurant.’ 

    Hampshire Constabulary has been holding quarterly meetings with the community where locals can raise any concerns.

    Superintendent Alex Charge said earlier this month: ‘I know these protests can disrupt local residents’ lives, and they do come with a range of emotions, but we are committed to ensuring these can be facilitated safely – for those attending and the wider public – and that this disruption can be kept to the minimum possible for the community.’

    Share or comment on this article:
    Ethiopian asylum seeker, 23, ‘sexually assaulted worker’ at migrant hotel hit by protests



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleDiaz publicly apologises for failed panenka that cost Morocco AFCON title
    Next Article Government Accountability Series with Minister for Trade
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    £10k-a-year prep school threatens to name and shame parents parking ‘illegally and dangerously’ if residents send photographic evidence

    May 18, 2026

    Elite Finnish divers join hunt for bodies of scuba team inside 200ft-long ‘shark cave’ – as Maldives tour firm insists it had no idea group planned to dive so deep

    May 18, 2026

    Why are there brawls across the globe over a WATCH? Violent scenes unfold in Europe after UK and US Swatch stores were forced to close their doors – with police dog handlers called in

    May 18, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025139 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026119 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025102 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202671 Views
    Don't Miss
    International May 18, 2026

    £10k-a-year prep school threatens to name and shame parents parking ‘illegally and dangerously’ if residents send photographic evidence

    By ELEANOR HARDING, EDUCATION EDITOR Published: 05:55 EDT, 18 May 2026 | Updated: 05:59 EDT,…

    Laryea Kingston describes 2010 World Cup exclusion as unfair

    Elite Finnish divers join hunt for bodies of scuba team inside 200ft-long ‘shark cave’ – as Maldives tour firm insists it had no idea group planned to dive so deep

    Jonathan Korbla signs new deal with Córdoba CF

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    £10k-a-year prep school threatens to name and shame parents parking ‘illegally and dangerously’ if residents send photographic evidence

    Laryea Kingston describes 2010 World Cup exclusion as unfair

    Elite Finnish divers join hunt for bodies of scuba team inside 200ft-long ‘shark cave’ – as Maldives tour firm insists it had no idea group planned to dive so deep

    Most Popular

    Lyrical Joe Drops New Single “Julie” Featuring BeezTrap KOTM – A Perfect Blend of Trap Music and Rap Music

    November 15, 20240 Views

    The North Pole is moving towards Russia: Experts are baffled by meandering magnetic north that could play havoc with your smartphone

    November 16, 20240 Views

    Urgent health warning is issued over fears Aussies have been exposed to measles in Sydney

    November 16, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.