Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Elite Finnish divers join hunt for bodies of scuba team inside 200ft-long ‘shark cave’ – as Maldives tour firm insists it had no idea group planned to dive so deep

    Jonathan Korbla signs new deal with Córdoba CF

    Why are there brawls across the globe over a WATCH? Violent scenes unfold in Europe after UK and US Swatch stores were forced to close their doors – with police dog handlers called in

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Elite Finnish divers join hunt for bodies of scuba team inside 200ft-long ‘shark cave’ – as Maldives tour firm insists it had no idea group planned to dive so deep
    International

    Elite Finnish divers join hunt for bodies of scuba team inside 200ft-long ‘shark cave’ – as Maldives tour firm insists it had no idea group planned to dive so deep

    Papa LincBy Papa LincMay 18, 2026No Comments9 Mins Read1 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Elite Finnish divers join hunt for bodies of scuba team inside 200ft-long ‘shark cave’ – as Maldives tour firm insists it had no idea group planned to dive so deep
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    Three elite Finnish divers have joined forces to try to locate the bodies of four Italian scuba divers who died in an accident in the Maldives last week.

    The team arrived on Sunday, the DAN Europe divers’ network said, just four days after the incident in the Vaavu Atoll, where the scuba team had been exploring caves at a depth of 165ft.

    The body of one of the Italian divers was recovered from inside the Thinwana Kandu cave, also known as Shark Cave, on Friday, the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) said in a statement at the time.  

    ‘The body was recovered from about 60 metres deep from inside a cave structure. It is assumed that the rest of the divers would also be inside this cave, which is about 200 feet in length,’ the statement said.

    However, the Italian tour operator that managed the diving trip denied authorising or knowing about the deep dive that violated local limits, its lawyer told Italian daily Corriere della Sera on Saturday.

    Orietta Stella, representing Albatros Top Boat, said the operator ‘did not know’ the group planned to descend beyond 30 meters. 

    That threshold requires special permission from Maldivian maritime authorities, and the tour operator ‘would have never allowed it,’ she said.

    The dive far exceeded what was planned for a scientific cruise focused on coral sampling at standard depths, Stella added. 

    Elite Finnish divers join hunt for bodies of scuba team inside 200ft-long ‘shark cave’ – as Maldives tour firm insists it had no idea group planned to dive so deep

    Members of the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) take part in a search and recovery operation in the Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, 16 May 2026

    The operation follows a scuba diving accident on 14 May, which claimed the lives of five Italian nationals

    The operation follows a scuba diving accident on 14 May, which claimed the lives of five Italian nationals

    The victims were experienced divers, but the equipment used appeared to be standard recreational gear rather than technical equipment suited for deep cave diving, she said. 

    The Finnish divers – Sami Paakkarinen, Jenni Westerlund and Patrik Grönqvist – will now work alongside the MNDF and other officials in the rescue mission.

    A MNDF diver taking part in the search, Sergeant-major Mohamed Mahudhee, died on Saturday from decompression illness, prompting the MNDF to temporarily suspend the recovery effort, which has been taking place in rough weather and sea conditions.

    ‘The death goes to show the difficulty of the mission,’ Maldives Presidential Spokesman Mohammed Hussain Shareef said.

    The Maldivian military added in an X post: ‘His courage, his sacrifice, and service to the nation will always be remembered.

    ‘Our deepest condolences to his family and colleagues.’

    Shareef said the searchers had prepared a plan based on their progress exploring the cave on Friday.

    The military diver’s death came after a group of five Italian divers tragically lost their lives on May 14 while exploring a cave in Alimatha, one of the atoll’s most popular diving stops.

    The body of scuba diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti was recovered from a cave on Thursday, but rescuers were still searching for the remaining four divers.

    Shareef said Benedetti’s body was found near the mouth of the cave, and authorities believed the remaining four had entered the cave.

    The Italian Foreign Minister, Antonio Tajani, said everything possible would be done to bring the victims home.

    His ministry stated it was coordinating with Divers Alert Network, a specialist diving organisation, to support recovery operations and the repatriation of the bodies.

    However, mystery continues to surround the cause of death. 

    Authorities have launched an investigation to understand what happened, while several theories are being considered.

    One of the victims is 51-year-old Monica Montefalcone, a respected marine biologist, TV personality, and professor of Tropical Marine Ecology and Underwater Science at the University of Genoa. Her 22-year-old daughter, Giorgia Sommacal, also died.

    Montefalcone’s husband and Giorgia’s father, Carlo Sommacal, said on Friday that footage taken on a GoPro camera could reveal the mystery surrounding their tragic deaths.

    Speaking to Italian news outlet La Repubblica, a devastated Sommacal said: ‘Monica usually had a GoPro when she went diving.

    ‘I don’t know if she had one the other day. If they find it, maybe from there we can understand what happened.’

    He also insisted that ‘my wife [was] among the best divers on earth,’ and said she wouldn’t have put anyone in the group in danger.

    Sergeant Major Mohammed Mahudhee, a diver for the Maldives coast guard, lost his life as recovery operations continued in the Vaavu Atoll on Saturday

    Sergeant Major Mohammed Mahudhee, a diver for the Maldives coast guard, lost his life as recovery operations continued in the Vaavu Atoll on Saturday

    One of the victims was named as Monica Montefalcone, a professor and researcher at the University of Genoa

    One of the victims was named as Monica Montefalcone, a professor and researcher at the University of Genoa

    Giorgia Sommacal, 22, Montefalcone's daughter, also died

    Giorgia Sommacal, 22, Montefalcone’s daughter, also died

    Gianluca Benedetti of Padua was named as one of the people who died on the dive

    Gianluca Benedetti of Padua was named as one of the people who died on the dive

    Pictured: Federico Gualtieri who died in the Maldives diving tragedy

    Pictured: Federico Gualtieri who died in the Maldives diving tragedy 

    Muriel Oddenino, a victim of the diving incident, was also a researcher at the University of Genoa

    Muriel Oddenino, a victim of the diving incident, was also a researcher at the University of Genoa

    ‘She would never have put our daughter’s life or that of others at risk… something must have happened down there,’ he said.

    ‘Maybe one of them had trouble, maybe the oxygen tanks, I have no idea.’

    Montefalcone had survived the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami when it struck the Maldives. 

    Sommacal added that one of the divers on the expedition, Gianluca Benedetti, was ‘meticulous.’

    ‘He checked everything: the tanks, the weather conditions. He’s not a fool,’ Sommacal said. ‘It must have been fate; they took every precaution possible.’

    The grief-stricken father revealed that his daughter Giorgia was going to graduate from university next month and said he and his wife had been planning a party for her.

    The three other victims have been named as Muriel Oddenino of Turin, Gianluca Benedetti of Padua, and Federico Gualtieri from Omegna.

    Oddenino, a 31-year-old marine biologist and ecologist, was Montefalcone’s colleague.

    She was an experienced diver and authored scientific publications. She was described by a loved one as ‘sweet and sensitive’.

    Benedetti, 44, was an operations manager, a diving instructor and a boat captain.

    After working in banking and finance for several years, he turned his passion for diving into a full-time career and moved to the Maldives in 2017.

    He was the operations manager and skipper aboard the luxury Duke of York, the diving yacht that the group used for their expedition.

    He was described by Albatros Top Boat, the Duke of York’s operator, as ‘energetic, extremely sporty, and a lover of reading, classic cinema, and chess.’

    Speaking about her son’s tragic death, Benedetti’s mother told Italian news outlet Gazzettino: ‘I heard the news from the embassy. I can’t say anything, and you can only imagine the pain.’

    Gualtieri, 31, was a scuba diving instructor and had recently graduated from the University of Genoa with a degree in marine biology and ecology.

    He had previously praised his professor, Montefalcone, saying: ‘Ever since I met her, she has always been my guide, encouraging me to follow my dreams and passions.’

    The body of scuba diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti was recovered from a cave on Thursday, but rescuers were still searching for the remaining four divers today

    The body of scuba diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti was recovered from a cave on Thursday, but rescuers were still searching for the remaining four divers today

    This photograph, shared by the Maldives President's Media Division, shows divers preparing to search for the four missing Italian divers near Alimathaa Island, Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, Saturday, May 16, 2026

    This photograph, shared by the Maldives President’s Media Division, shows divers preparing to search for the four missing Italian divers near Alimathaa Island, Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, Saturday, May 16, 2026

    Cave diving is a highly technical and dangerous activity that requires specialised training, equipment and strict safety protocols.

    Risks increase sharply in environments where divers cannot head straight up and at depth, particularly when conditions are poor.

    Experts say it’s easy to become disoriented or lost inside caves, particularly as sediment clouds can sharply reduce visibility.

    Diving at 50 meters also exceeds the maximum depth recommended for recreational divers by most major established scuba certifying agencies, with depths beyond 40 meters considered technical diving and requiring specialised training and equipment.

    Shareef said that the cave ‘is so deep that even divers with the best equipment do not try to approach.’

    ‘There will be a separate investigation into how these divers went below the permitted depth, but our focus right now is on the search and rescue,’ he added.

    Authorities have not ruled out several scenarios, with police probing whether bad weather may have affected the divers’ visibility.

    According to Italian news outlet La Repubblica, the fact that none of the five divers managed to resurface suggests the group may have become lost within an underwater cave.

    With little light and poor visibility due to bad weather, they may have lost their bearings, panicked, and perhaps run out of air while trying to find their way out.

    Police also haven’t ruled out the possibility that one of the five may have become stuck while the others ran out of air or panicked while trying to free their colleague.

    Diving experts have also been speculating on various hypotheses.

    According to local media, one of the most widely accepted hypotheses by the coast guard and experts is oxygen toxicity. 

    This phenomenon occurs if the tank’s mixture is inadequate, making oxygen toxic at certain depths.

    The five Italians had boarded the Duke of York (pictured), a foreign-operated live-aboard diving vessel, and they disappeared near Alimatha

    The five Italians had boarded the Duke of York (pictured), a foreign-operated live-aboard diving vessel, and they disappeared near Alimatha

    ‘At 50 meters of depth in the sea, there are several risks; it’s a real tragedy,’ says Alfonso Bolognini, president of the Italian Society of Underwater and Hyperbaric Medicine.

    ‘There are several hypotheses we can make right now: an inadequate breathing mix can create a hyperoxic crisis when there’s an increase in the partial pressure of oxygen in the tissues and blood plasma, which can cause neurological problems.

    ‘Inside a cave at 50 meters of depth, all it takes is a problem for a diver or a panic attack for a diver,’ he adds, saying that ‘the agitation causes the water to become cloudy and can impair visibility.

    ‘In these cases, the panic component could lead to even fatal errors.’ 

    It is also unclear whether the Italians’ dive, being at a depth of over 160ft, was regulated, according to the Maldives National Defence Force.

    Meanwhile, it has been revealed that there was no local guide to accompany the group into the cave, as required by Maldivian law.

    Investigators are also trying to determine whether the group used an ‘Ariadne’s thread’ – a rope used by divers while exploring caves to help them stay close together and find the entrance and exit to the cavities.

    The use of the rope is mandatory in certain caves.

    The Maldives, a nation of 1,192 tiny coral islands scattered some 500 miles across the equator in the Indian Ocean, is a luxury holiday destination popular with divers, who often stay at secluded resorts or on dive boats.

    Local regulations allow dives to a maximum depth of 98 feet, but experienced professionals are known to go deeper.

    Diving and water-sport-related accidents are relatively rare in the South Asian nation, although several fatal incidents have been reported in recent years.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleJonathan Korbla signs new deal with Córdoba CF
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Why are there brawls across the globe over a WATCH? Violent scenes unfold in Europe after UK and US Swatch stores were forced to close their doors – with police dog handlers called in

    May 18, 2026

    Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice are set to make their first royal appearance in the coming weeks – ‘without Andrew and Fergie’

    May 18, 2026

    International rugby star is left heartbroken as marriage to his childhood sweetheart collapses – and wife moves in with his close friend

    May 18, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025139 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026119 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025102 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202671 Views
    Don't Miss
    International May 18, 2026

    Elite Finnish divers join hunt for bodies of scuba team inside 200ft-long ‘shark cave’ – as Maldives tour firm insists it had no idea group planned to dive so deep

    Three elite Finnish divers have joined forces to try to locate the bodies of four…

    Jonathan Korbla signs new deal with Córdoba CF

    Why are there brawls across the globe over a WATCH? Violent scenes unfold in Europe after UK and US Swatch stores were forced to close their doors – with police dog handlers called in

    Wayne Rooney tells Arne Slot to BAN ‘selfish’ Mohamed Salah from his own Liverpool farewell and ‘have him nowhere near the stadium’ after his ‘grenade’ social media post

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Elite Finnish divers join hunt for bodies of scuba team inside 200ft-long ‘shark cave’ – as Maldives tour firm insists it had no idea group planned to dive so deep

    Jonathan Korbla signs new deal with Córdoba CF

    Why are there brawls across the globe over a WATCH? Violent scenes unfold in Europe after UK and US Swatch stores were forced to close their doors – with police dog handlers called in

    Most Popular

    Lyrical Joe Drops New Single “Julie” Featuring BeezTrap KOTM – A Perfect Blend of Trap Music and Rap Music

    November 15, 20240 Views

    The North Pole is moving towards Russia: Experts are baffled by meandering magnetic north that could play havoc with your smartphone

    November 16, 20240 Views

    Urgent health warning is issued over fears Aussies have been exposed to measles in Sydney

    November 16, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.