Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance

    Can Iran retaliate against countries that join US ‘economic war’? | US-Israel war on Iran News

    London bus drivers to strike NEXT WEEK over ‘hot’ working conditions – after last-minute talks to clinch deal break down

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Efforts underway to repatriate Aussies on hantavirus-riddled cruise ship after deadly outbreak
    International

    Efforts underway to repatriate Aussies on hantavirus-riddled cruise ship after deadly outbreak

    Papa LincBy Papa LincMay 10, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read4 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Efforts underway to repatriate Aussies on hantavirus-riddled cruise ship after deadly outbreak
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    Australian officials are on their way to the island of Tenerife to help repatriate four citizens and one permanent resident aboard the hantavirus-hit MV Hondius.

    The cruise ship at the centre of the outbreak is set to dock on the Spanish-controlled island on Sunday morning local time (2.30pm AEST), where authorities will be waiting.

    Once they arrive, passengers will be ferried ashore to an industrial port in ‘sealed, guarded vehicles’ and taken through a ‘completely cordoned-off corridor’ and repatriated directly to their home countries, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.

    Passengers are unable to stay on the island or take commercial flights home, meaning countries are expected to help their citizens get home. 

    It comes just days after the World Health Organisation (WHO) confirmed there had been a deadly outbreak of hantavirus on the ship, resulting in at least three deaths and multiple serious illnesses. 

    While it is understood that none of the Australian passengers have displayed any symptoms of the virus, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade officials have travelled to the island to evaluate repatriation plans.

    ‘DFAT consular officials are travelling to Tenerife to provide consular assistance to them and coordinate response efforts with local authorities and partner countries,’ a DFAT spokesperson said.

    ‘We are considering options for the safe repatriation of the four Australians and permanent resident. Our priority is the safety of the community.’

    Efforts underway to repatriate Aussies on hantavirus-riddled cruise ship after deadly outbreak

    Health workers in protective gear have evacuated three patients from the MV Hondius ship

    The ship is expected to dock at Tenerife at 2.30pm AEST on Sunday, with passengers to disembark within hours

    The ship is expected to dock at Tenerife at 2.30pm AEST on Sunday, with passengers to disembark within hours

    Passengers will be ferried ashore to an industrial port in 'sealed, guarded vehicles' and taken through a 'completely cordoned-off corridor', according to health authorities

    Passengers will be ferried ashore to an industrial port in ‘sealed, guarded vehicles’ and taken through a ‘completely cordoned-off corridor’, according to health authorities

    However, just hours before the vessel is expected to dock, the operation was thrown into chaos after it was revealed some of the countries’ planes wouldn’t arrive on time.

    Canary Islands President Fernando Batlle, said the planes had been given a specific window to arrive and receive their passengers, due to the strict health protocols.

    He also singled out Australia and the Netherlands at the impromptu press conference on Sunday morning, stating the delayed flights would drag the operation out and put Tenerife’s residents at risk.

    President Batlle told reporters he’d been promised by WHO and the Spanish government that the passenger transfer would be completed in a day or so; however he hasn’t been given proof of that.

    He has now cancelled the ship’s authority to dock at the Port of Granadilla.

    As the ship approaches the coastline, it’s possible the Spanish Government will be able to override the decision and make a further declaration.

    The Daily Mail has contacted DFAT for an update.

    Cruise operator Oceanwide Expeditions said passengers will be disembarked from the ship using either the Zodiac craft or launch boats, with a maximum of five passengers per Zodiac or 10 passengers per launch boat.

    Australian consular officials (stock image) are due to arrive in Tenerife to assist the four Australian citizens and one permanent resident onboard the MV Hondius

    Australian consular officials (stock image) are due to arrive in Tenerife to assist the four Australian citizens and one permanent resident onboard the MV Hondius

    However President of the Canary Islands, Fernando Batlle, appears to have cancelled the operation at the eleventh hour after some of the repatriation planes failed to arrive on time

    However President of the Canary Islands, Fernando Batlle, appears to have cancelled the operation at the eleventh hour after some of the repatriation planes failed to arrive on time

    ‘The sequence of disembarkation will be coordinated with arriving repatriation flights,’ a spokesperson for Oceanwide Expeditions said.

    ‘Luggage of all guests will remain on board MV Hondius. Oceanwide Expeditions is in contact with all guests regarding the process for returning all luggage safely to them.

    ‘After the guests and limited crew have disembarked, MV Hondius will bunker and take on necessary supplies at Santa Cruz, Tenerife. Following this, the vessel will transit to the port of Rotterdam, the Netherlands with the remaining crew members aboard.’

    Hantavirus, which is transmitted to humans through infected wild rodents, such as mice or rats, can cause life-threatening illness.

    It usually spreads when people inhale contaminated residue of rodent droppings and isn’t easily transmitted between people.

    However the Andes strain detected in the cruise ship outbreak may be able to spread between people in rare cases. Symptoms, which include fever, headache, abdominal pain and diarrhoea, usually show between one and eight weeks after exposure.

    There is no cure.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleBlack Princesses qualify for 2026 U-20 Women’s World Cup
    Next Article Black Starlets suffer narrow defeat to Mali in final pre-AFCON friendly
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    London bus drivers to strike NEXT WEEK over ‘hot’ working conditions – after last-minute talks to clinch deal break down

    August 23, 2026

    A royal show of unity: Smiling Kate attends church service with William, children and rest of family near Balmoral ahead of Harry and Meghan’s shock return to Britain

    August 23, 2026

    Earl Spencer was happy to offer Prince Harry a home on his 13,000-acre Althorp estate – but his nephew had his own plans

    August 23, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025148 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025115 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202679 Views
    Don't Miss
    News August 23, 2026

    GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance

    The Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) has dismissed reports circulating on social media that it…

    Can Iran retaliate against countries that join US ‘economic war’? | US-Israel war on Iran News

    London bus drivers to strike NEXT WEEK over ‘hot’ working conditions – after last-minute talks to clinch deal break down

    Boxing News: PFL TAMPA RESULTS » August 23, 2026

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance

    Can Iran retaliate against countries that join US ‘economic war’? | US-Israel war on Iran News

    London bus drivers to strike NEXT WEEK over ‘hot’ working conditions – after last-minute talks to clinch deal break down

    Most Popular

    I got intimate with 2500 women in 2019 alone – Oboy Siki brags

    November 26, 20240 Views

    Dreams FC assistant coach urges players to improve after tough start to the season

    November 28, 20240 Views

    Kwaysi collaborates with DJ Boat for Christmas anthem

    November 29, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.