A 33-year-old man was found dead at Charlton Athletic’s stadium on Tuesday.
Police officers were called to The Valley stadium on Tuesday morning after an incident, which Charlton say occurred on Monday.
The death is being treated as unexpected, with police investigating whether the man fell from a height.
Daily Mail Sport visited the scene on Wednesday afternoon and there was no longer a police presence at the stadium.
A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: ‘At around 11:15hrs on Tuesday, 18 August, officers attended The Valley stadium on Floyd Road, Charlton following concerns for the welfare of a person.
‘Officers attended alongside the London Ambulance Service and located a 33-year-old man, who was sadly pronounced dead at the scene. His next of kin have been informed and continue to be supported.
‘Officers are investigating the possibility that the man had fallen from height prior to his death. The death is being treated as unexpected, and an investigation is ongoing.
‘Anyone with information is urged to call 101, quoting reference 2809/18AUG.’
The death first came to light in a statement from Charlton on Tuesday evening, which said a body had been discovered at their southeast London stadium.
Charlton said: ‘Charlton Athletic are supporting the police with their enquiries following the discovery of a deceased individual at The Valley on Tuesday morning.
‘Police were called to the stadium today after an incident that occurred in the early hours of Monday morning. A male was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.
‘The death remains under investigation. Anyone with information, or who may have witnessed the incident, is asked to contact police on 101, quoting reference 2809/18AUG.’
A dead body was found at The Valley, home of Charlton Athletic, on Tuesday morning
The statement continued: ‘Everyone at Charlton Athletic would like to express their deepest sympathies and heartfelt condolences to the individual’s family, friends and loved ones at this incredibly difficult time.
‘The club are continuing to assist the authorities with their enquiries and respectfully ask that the privacy of those affected is respected. There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing on the part of the club.
‘Charlton Athletic would also like to thank its staff for the professionalism they have shown while dealing with a particularly difficult and distressing situation.’
Charlton played at The Valley on Saturday, beating Derby County 2-1 in their first Championship game of the season.

