Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Melania breaks silence on absence with punchy eight-word opener as she joins Trump amid female aide rumors

    ‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September

    DR Congo to receive 70,000 doses of Ervebo vaccine as Ebola infections surge | Ebola News

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»David Miliband said no when asked to be Education Secretary… and Lucy Powell’s angry at Deputy PM snub
    International

    David Miliband said no when asked to be Education Secretary… and Lucy Powell’s angry at Deputy PM snub

    Papa LincBy Papa LincJuly 30, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read6 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    David Miliband said no when asked to be Education Secretary… and Lucy Powell’s angry at Deputy PM snub
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    By CHRISTIAN CALGIE, SENIOR POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT-AT-LARGE

    Published: 19:02 EDT, 29 July 2026 | Updated: 15:47 EDT, 30 July 2026

    David Miliband was offered the post of Education Secretary in Andy Burnham‘s reshuffle, the Daily Mail can reveal.

    The brother of Ed Miliband was widely tipped to return to British politics once Mr Burnham entered No 10.

    In the run-up to the new PM’s reshuffle last week, he was touted as a potential Foreign Secretary, having served in the role under Gordon Brown from 2007 to 2010.

    The job ended up going to his brother – and arch political rival – Ed, a major promotion from his previous position as Energy and Net Zero Secretary.

    A Labour source has now told the Daily Mail that David was offered the more junior job of Education Secretary, before it was given to Labour deputy leader and Greater Manchester MP Lucy Powell – a close ally of Mr Burnham.

    It is claimed that Mr Miliband declined the job because it was more junior to the role offered to his brother and because he is friends with the then-incumbent Bridget Phillipson and did not want to humiliate her. 

    Mr Miliband, who has served as president of the International Rescue Committee since 2013 on a salary of more than £1million a year, appeared in a number of photos and videos backing Ms Phillipson during the 2019 general election.

    While he failed to make a return to British politics last week, it is now rumoured he is eyeing up Sir Keir Starmer’s London constituency should the ousted prime minister quit Parliament and trigger a by-election.

    David Miliband said no when asked to be Education Secretary… and Lucy Powell’s angry at Deputy PM snub

    David Miliband (pictured on May 20, 2020) was offered the post of Education Secretary in Andy Burnham’s reshuffle

    Ed Miliband's brother was touted as a potential Foreign Secretary in the run-up to Mr Burnham's (pictured on July 29, 2026) reshuffle last week

    Ed Miliband’s brother was touted as a potential Foreign Secretary in the run-up to Mr Burnham’s (pictured on July 29, 2026) reshuffle last week 

    Ms Phillipson was demoted by Mr Burnham to Equalities Secretary, though she was given the additional job of Labour Party chair following outrage among Labour MPs at her reduced role.

    It is understood that Ms Powell is furious at Mr Burnham over her new role as Education Secretary, as she was publicly snubbed when he denied her the expected title of Deputy Prime Minister.

    Ms Powell fought hard to secure Mr Burnham’s return to Parliament and bring about the eventual coup against Sir Keir. Yesterday, a close ally of Ms Powell said she was ‘hurt and angry’ after the new Prime Minister declined to give her the title.

    Allies of Ms Powell revealed ‘she thought she was getting Deputy Prime Minister until she walked in the [No 10] door’, adding that Mr Burnham’s team had been ‘briefing it all weekend’.

    Instead, Mr Burnham has declined to use the Deputy Prime Minister position at all, with the responsibilities landing with Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster Louise Haigh, who received the added title of First Secretary of State.

    Sources claimed Ms Powell lost out in an internal power battle with the new Chief Whip Anneliese Midgley, who ‘hates’ her.

    A party source branded Ms Haigh and Ms Midgley ‘political thugs’ who had behaved like ‘factional Mafioso’ with a ‘punishment beating’ reshuffle.

    Downing Street and David Miliband were approached for comment.

    Share or comment on this article:
    David Miliband said no when asked to be Education Secretary… and Lucy Powell’s angry at Deputy PM snub



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleBreaking: AG to appeal Court of Appeal decision setting Sedina Tamakloe free
    Next Article Why Eddie Howe could NOT carry on: CRAIG HOPE reveals the moment in Greece when Newcastle boss was ‘all in’ before midsummer U-turn, Joelinton’s wish to leave, World Cup medical that did not happen and coup that shattered Saudi illusion
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Melania breaks silence on absence with punchy eight-word opener as she joins Trump amid female aide rumors

    August 20, 2026

    Eric Swalwell criminal probe escalates as half-dozen FBI agents are seen raiding disgraced ex-congressman’s DC home

    August 20, 2026

    Army soldier, 21, is charged with raping girl aged TWELVE

    August 20, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025147 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025114 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202678 Views
    Don't Miss
    International August 20, 2026

    Melania breaks silence on absence with punchy eight-word opener as she joins Trump amid female aide rumors

    ‘I heard you missed me. Here I am.’That was the punchy eight-word opener delivered by…

    ‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September

    DR Congo to receive 70,000 doses of Ervebo vaccine as Ebola infections surge | Ebola News

    MoGCSP strengthens stakeholder engagement on witchcraft accusations

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Melania breaks silence on absence with punchy eight-word opener as she joins Trump amid female aide rumors

    ‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September

    DR Congo to receive 70,000 doses of Ervebo vaccine as Ebola infections surge | Ebola News

    Most Popular

    “Dad can’t wait to marry you off” – Bride’s father eagerly approves the couple’s union with a swift ‘Yes’ answer on their wedding day (WATCH)

    November 21, 20240 Views

    Ring camera captures young couple calmly coming and going after killing ‘grandfather’

    November 21, 20240 Views

    Alan Kyerematen says the NPP is a declining party and advises Ghanaians to look beyond it.

    November 23, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.