Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Body of missing Sydney bushwalker Lily Hooper, 18, is found despite her devastated family being told she was discovered alive

    Harvard to pay $53 million to settle lawsuits over theft of body parts

    Fears grow in Amazon village as Brazilian drug gangs push into Bolivia | Newsfeed

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Australia’s most highly decorated living soldier Ben Roberts-Smith is CHARGED with war crimes
    International

    Australia’s most highly decorated living soldier Ben Roberts-Smith is CHARGED with war crimes

    Papa LincBy Papa LincApril 7, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read4 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Australia’s most highly decorated living soldier Ben Roberts-Smith is CHARGED with war crimes
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    By BRETT LACKEY, NEWS REPORTER, AUSTRALIA

    Published: 03:06 EDT, 7 April 2026 | Updated: 03:35 EDT, 7 April 2026

    Former SAS soldier Ben Roberts-Smith has been charged with five counts of war crime – murder.

    Roberts-Smith, 47, was charged on Tuesday afternoon under a joint investigation between the AFP and the Office of the Special Investigator (OSI).

    The Victoria Cross recipient was arrested earlier on Tuesday at Sydney Domestic Airport by AFP officers who were waiting on the tarmac to escort him off a plane.

    Roberts-Smith was refused bail when he briefly appeared in court about 4pm Tuesday and will appear in NSW Bail Division Court 7 on Wednesday. Each offence he has been charged with carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.

     Among the allegations are that Roberts-Smith intentionally caused the death of two people in Afghanistan between 2009 and 2012. He is also accused of aiding, abetting, counselling or procuring another person to commit a murder on three separate occasions.

    Asked if others were involved in those matters, the Office of the Special Investigator said investigations were ongoing.

    ‘It will be alleged the victims were detained, unarmed and were under the control of ADF members when they were killed,’ AFP Commissioner Krissy Barrett told reporters at a press conference. 

    ‘It will be alleged the victims were shot by the accused or shot by subordinate members of the ADF in the presence of and acting on the orders of the accused.’

    Australia’s most highly decorated living soldier Ben Roberts-Smith is CHARGED with war crimes

    Ben Roberts-Smith has been charged over multiple alleged war crimes

    The Office of the Special Investigator, comprised of 54 investigators, has been investigating dozens of cases involving allegations of war crimes by ADF members in Afghanistan.

    Out of the 53 investigations, 39 have been provisionally finalised.

    OSI director Ross Barnett said the cases were extremely complex because many of the allegations involved incidents more than a decade ago, in countries thousands of kilometres away and there were no post-mortem reports. 

    Roberts-Smith will be the second Australian soldier to be charged with war crimes under domestic law after another ex-SAS soldier, Oliver Schulz, was charged in 2023 over the war crime of the 2012 murder of a young man in Afghanistan.

    Schulz has maintained his innocence. His matter is yet to go to trial.

    More to follow.

    Share or comment on this article:
    Australia’s most highly decorated living soldier Ben Roberts-Smith is CHARGED with war crimes



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleThese are my winners and losers from round one of the County Championship – from the England star who’s more vulnerable than ever, to the pair who put Ashes woe behind them and Test exile who made case for shock comeback, writes LAWRENCE BOOTH
    Next Article Premier League cult hero shares update after health scare following three kidney transplants
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Body of missing Sydney bushwalker Lily Hooper, 18, is found despite her devastated family being told she was discovered alive

    August 20, 2026

    Secret bail conditions imposed on Scots College rape accused as they’re banned from entering a suburb and the youngest is hit with a ‘stalking’ restriction – as two families hire lawyers

    August 20, 2026

    Jacqui Lambie breaks down after emotional plea to the Albanese government over veteran suicide risk

    August 20, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025147 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025114 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202678 Views
    Don't Miss
    International August 20, 2026

    Body of missing Sydney bushwalker Lily Hooper, 18, is found despite her devastated family being told she was discovered alive

    By MAISY RAE – NEWS REPORTER Published: 21:52 EDT, 19 August 2026 | Updated: 23:07…

    Harvard to pay $53 million to settle lawsuits over theft of body parts

    Fears grow in Amazon village as Brazilian drug gangs push into Bolivia | Newsfeed

    UFC legend accuses ex-wife of abducting their 14-year-old daughter as custody battle takes wild turn

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Body of missing Sydney bushwalker Lily Hooper, 18, is found despite her devastated family being told she was discovered alive

    Harvard to pay $53 million to settle lawsuits over theft of body parts

    Fears grow in Amazon village as Brazilian drug gangs push into Bolivia | Newsfeed

    Most Popular

    “Dad can’t wait to marry you off” – Bride’s father eagerly approves the couple’s union with a swift ‘Yes’ answer on their wedding day (WATCH)

    November 21, 20240 Views

    Ring camera captures young couple calmly coming and going after killing ‘grandfather’

    November 21, 20240 Views

    Alan Kyerematen says the NPP is a declining party and advises Ghanaians to look beyond it.

    November 23, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.