Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Black Princesses step up reparations in Poland Ahead of FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup

    Boxing News: Yair Rodriguez Withdraws From UFC Night In Glendale, Arizona On September 12 » August 20, 2026

    Plus-size Muslim woman, 35, plotted ISIS bombing of NY State Capitol after scouting building in burka, FBI says

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Anthony Albanese’s government swings the axe on the NDIS with huge changes as costs soar past $48.5billion a year
    International

    Anthony Albanese’s government swings the axe on the NDIS with huge changes as costs soar past $48.5billion a year

    Papa LincBy Papa LincAugust 20, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read2 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Anthony Albanese’s government swings the axe on the NDIS with huge changes as costs soar past .5billion a year
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    By STEPHEN JOHNSON, ECONOMICS REPORTER, AUSTRALIA

    Published: 23:11 EDT, 19 August 2025 | Updated: 00:06 EDT, 20 August 2025

    Anthony Albanese‘s government plans to remove children with mild autism or minor developmental delays from the NDIS, as the scheme’s costs continue to spiral. 

    Health Minister Mark Butler told the National Press Club in Canberra on Wednesday the National Disability Insurance Scheme had become too big since it debuted in 2013.

    ‘The scheme is now entering its adolescence, a period that all parents know involves the maturing of our beautiful children but a period also that can be full of risks that things will run off the rails without a judicious dose of management and supervision,’ he said. 

    ‘The NDIS has grown incredibly fast and created new markets which have at times impacted and distorted other parts of the health and social care ecosystem.’

    Butler said the government was aiming to pare back the NDIS to its original purpose, following a review initiated by former NDIS minister Bill Shorten in 2022.

    ‘First, returning the scheme to its original purpose, its north star – the provision of support to people with significant and permanent disability and secondly, ensuring the scheme becomes sustainable from a Budget perspective.’ 

    The NDIS is set to cost taxpayers $52.3billion in 2025-26 which is more than Australia’s $51.5billion defence budget during a time of global geopolitical uncertainty.

    The government would also aim to restrict annual growth in the National Disability Insurance Scheme to eight per cent a year, with public spending under Labor already at the highest level since 1986 outside of the Covid pandemic.

    Anthony Albanese’s government swings the axe on the NDIS with huge changes as costs soar past .5billion a year

    Health Minister Mark Butler told the National Press Club in Canberra on Wednesday the National Disability Insurance Scheme had become too big since it debuted in 2013

    ‘Getting growth down from 22 per cent to eight per cent will certainly be a substantial achievement,’ he said. 

    The NDIS’s quarterly report last week revealed a 12 per cent increase in 2024-25 which Butler said was ‘much higher than the previous year’.

    ‘It reminds us there is still much to do, even to achieve the eight per cent target,’ he said.

    A Nine Newspapers analysis of new NDIS recipients during the last financial year showed seven out of 10 of them were children with autism – or 56,000 out of the 78,000 participants who signed on between June 2024 and June 2025.

    Share or comment on this article:
    Anthony Albanese’s government swings the axe on the NDIS with huge changes as costs soar past $48.5billion a year



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleJay-Jay Okocha names Abedi Pele and Tony Yeboah among top 5 greatest African footballers
    Next Article Reinstating Torkornoo could lead to a disastrous judiciary – Donyina Mensah
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Plus-size Muslim woman, 35, plotted ISIS bombing of NY State Capitol after scouting building in burka, FBI says

    August 20, 2026

    Three schoolboys accused of hours-long gang sex attack denied bail – as judge references Scots College and Swans scandals

    August 20, 2026

    Melania breaks silence on absence with punchy eight-word opener as she joins Trump amid female aide rumors

    August 20, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025147 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025114 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202678 Views
    Don't Miss
    Politics August 20, 2026

    Black Princesses step up reparations in Poland Ahead of FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup

    Ghana’s U-20 women’s national team, the Black Princesses, are intensifying preparations in Poland as they…

    Boxing News: Yair Rodriguez Withdraws From UFC Night In Glendale, Arizona On September 12 » August 20, 2026

    Plus-size Muslim woman, 35, plotted ISIS bombing of NY State Capitol after scouting building in burka, FBI says

    Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Black Princesses step up reparations in Poland Ahead of FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup

    Boxing News: Yair Rodriguez Withdraws From UFC Night In Glendale, Arizona On September 12 » August 20, 2026

    Plus-size Muslim woman, 35, plotted ISIS bombing of NY State Capitol after scouting building in burka, FBI says

    Most Popular

    “Dad can’t wait to marry you off” – Bride’s father eagerly approves the couple’s union with a swift ‘Yes’ answer on their wedding day (WATCH)

    November 21, 20240 Views

    Ring camera captures young couple calmly coming and going after killing ‘grandfather’

    November 21, 20240 Views

    Alan Kyerematen says the NPP is a declining party and advises Ghanaians to look beyond it.

    November 23, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.