Three sisters who died in the sea off Brighton beach were named today for the first time.
Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walter, 32, and Rebecca Walter, 31, died early last Wednesday morning after getting into trouble in the water.
The sisters lived in Uxbridge, West London and had been visiting the East Sussex resort.
They were named today by Sussex Police, as their devastated father, Joseph, released a heartbreaking tribute describing his ‘unbearable’ grief.
He said in a statement: ‘Today, with a heart full of sorrow and love, I pay tribute to my beloved daughters – Jane, Christina, and Becky – whose lives ended so tragically far too soon.
‘No words can truly describe the pain of losing three daughters in the prime of their lives. Jane, Christina, and Becky were more than daughters to me; they were my joy, my strength, and the beautiful light that filled our family with happiness and love.
‘Each of you was unique and precious in your own special way. Your smiles brightened dark days, your laughter brought comfort, and your presence made life more meaningful.
‘Though your time on earth was short, the impact you made will remain in our hearts forever.’
Emergency services were called after concerns were raised for a person’s welfare at around 5.45am on May 13, before the sisters’ bodies were pulled from the water.
Detectives have not yet been able to establish how the women died, although there is no evidence to suggest criminality or anyone else being involved.
Three women whose bodies were recovered from the sea off Brighton beach have been named for the first time as sisters Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walter, 32, and Rebecca Walter, 31, from the Uxbridge area of London, Sussex Police said
Joseph went on to pay tribute to each of his daughters individually.
‘Jane, your strength and loving spirit will never be forgotten. Christina, your kindness and beautiful heart touched so many lives. Becky, your warmth and joyful soul brought happiness wherever you went. You were deeply loved, and you will always be deeply missed.
‘The tragedy of losing all three of you has left an emptiness that words cannot heal. There are days when the grief feels unbearable, yet I hold tightly to the memories we shared — the laughter, the conversations, the love, and the bond that death can never take away.
‘Though you are no longer here beside us, your spirits live on in our hearts every day. Love like yours never dies. You will forever remain a part of our lives, our prayers, and our memories.
‘Rest peacefully, my precious daughters — Jane, Christina, and Becky. You may be gone from our sight, but never from our hearts. Forever loved. Forever missed. Forever remembered.’
An investigation into how Jane, Christina and Rebecca came to be in the water remains ongoing.
Officers have reviewed hundreds of hours of CCTV and made door-to-door enquiries at properties and businesses around the beach area to try and trace the women’s last movements.
Chief Superintendent Adam Hays, Divisional Commander for Brighton and Hove said police are asking anyone with information to come forward.
Officers are particularly keen to speak to anyone who may have seen the three women around the Madeira Drive area between 10pm on Tuesday, May 12, and 5.30am on Wednesday, May 13.
Police stand on the beach at Black Rock near Brighton Marina where the sisters’ bodies were pulled from the water early last Wednesday
Chief Superintendent Hays said: ‘The thoughts of everyone at Sussex Police are with the family of Jane, Christina and Rebecca following this devastating loss.
‘I know this incident has had a profound impact on the local community in Brighton, and across the country and I’d like to reassure the public we will leave no stone unturned in our investigation to understand exactly what led to the tragic events of that Wednesday morning.
‘This investigation will continue in earnest, with Jane, Christina and Rebecca’s family at its centre. I would ask that they are given the privacy to come to terms with this terrible tragedy.’
One theory being examined by the Coastguard is that at least one of the women may have waded out into the sea from the beach but got into difficulty when they stumbled off a shingle shelf where the seabed falls sharply into deep water.
The notoriously sharp incline together with loose shingle poses unique swimming and safety hazards around the central seafront and Brighton Palace Pier.
A Coastguard source told the Daily Mail last week: ‘The shoreline off Brighton Beach slopes steeply into deep water, many people don’t realise the danger.
‘You don’t have to go far out at all before there’s a big drop-off and you go from knee-high water to chest-high water.
‘Swimmers can be pulled out of their depth very quickly from the backwash and with pebbles shifting underfoot it becomes difficult to maintain your balance especially when you’re trying to climb back up the slope with waves crashing against you.
‘One theory that the Coastguard are looking at is that at least one of the women went into the sea for a paddle and strayed too far out and were caught out by the sudden drop.’
Police at the scene on May 13, shortly after the sisters’ bodies had been pulled from the water
An HM Coastguard helicopter was seen hovering above the water last Wednesday morning, as well as Coastguard Rescue Teams from Shoreham, Newhaven, Littlehampton and Birling Gap.
Three RNLI lifeboats from Sussex were also involved in the search – including the Brighton lifeboat and the Shoreham all-weather lifeboat – which launched at around 6am before being stood down later in the morning.
Bella Sankey, the leader of Brighton and Hove City Council, said she was ‘shocked and deeply saddened’ by the tragedy.
‘My heart goes out to the friends and family of these women and on behalf of Brighton and Hove, I send sincere condolences,’ she said.
Chris Ward, the Labour MP for Brighton Kemptown and Peacehaven, said it was ‘deeply tragic news and understandably very concerning for our community and everyone affected’.
‘I would like to thank our emergency services for their swift response and the difficult work they continue to carry out at the scene,’ he added

