Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Andy Burnham said that men who identify as women should be able to use female toilets – and only a ‘small minority’ object, he claimed

    Aussie Olympics legend Neil Brooks has $2million fraud charges dropped after legal battle that lasted almost 10 years

    So much for the ‘jet fuel crisis’… there’s never been a better time to grab a holiday bargain – with some almost 50% CHEAPER than last year

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»Sports»Footy star Jai Arrow is forced to retire aged 30 after being diagnosed with deadly and incurable motor neurone disease
    Sports

    Footy star Jai Arrow is forced to retire aged 30 after being diagnosed with deadly and incurable motor neurone disease

    Papa LincBy Papa LincMay 20, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read0 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Footy star Jai Arrow is forced to retire aged 30 after being diagnosed with deadly and incurable motor neurone disease
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    South Sydney and former Queensland State of Origin enforcer Jai Arrow will retire from the NRL immediately after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease.

    Souths chief executive Blake Solly revealed the devastating diagnosis on Wednesday.

    Arrow remained silent during Souths’ press conference while he sat alongside Solly as he delivered the harrowing news. 

    Only 30 years old, Arrow has played 98 games for the Rabbitohs since Wayne Bennett lured the classy forward to the club in 2021 after handing the then-25-year-old his first-grade debut at Brisbane a decade ago.

    Arrow proposed to his fiancée Berina Colakovic during a romantic post-season holiday in Italy in October 2024.

    That December, the loved-up couple took to Instagram to reveal they were expecting their first child together.

    Footy star Jai Arrow is forced to retire aged 30 after being diagnosed with deadly and incurable motor neurone disease

    Souths star Jai Arrow (pictured with partner Berina Colakovic) has retired effective immediately after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease

    Arrow is pictured at the press conference where the harrowing news broke on Wednesday. He didn't speak as Souths CEO Blake Solly read a prepared statement on his behalf

    Arrow is pictured at the press conference where the harrowing news broke on Wednesday. He didn’t speak as Souths CEO Blake Solly read a prepared statement on his behalf

    Arrow and his partner are parents to daughter Ayla Rae, who was born in April last year

    Arrow and his partner are parents to daughter Ayla Rae, who was born in April last year

    Their daughter Ayla Rae was born in April 2025. 

    ‘After extensive medical testing and consultations regarding ongoing symptoms, I’ve recently received a diagnosis relating to a nerve and neurological condition,’ Solly said on Arrow’s behalf.

    ‘Further tests, specialist reviews and medical processes are still ongoing, and my doctors are continuing to assess my condition.

    ‘Over recent months, my symptoms have affected different parts of my everyday life.

    ‘On medical advice, I’m currently not medically cleared to train or play at the required level, and I’ll be stepping away from those duties wile I focus fully on my health treatment and rehabilitation.’ 

    Bennett praised Arrow, saying the Bunnies star ‘always puts his family and his team first’.

    ‘This is a difficult time for Jai and his family, however, we want to pay tribute to him for everything he has given his teammates, his coaches and his communities in Brisbane, the Gold Coast, the people of Queensland, and here in Sydney,’ Bennett said.

    ‘Most importantly, we pay tribute to him for the family man he has become.

    The 30-year-old star stamped himself as one of the league's best forwards as he played a total of 178 NRL games for the Broncos, Titans and Rabbitohs

    The 30-year-old star stamped himself as one of the league’s best forwards as he played a total of 178 NRL games for the Broncos, Titans and Rabbitohs

    Souths coach Wayne Bennett (pictured right with Arrow, left, and Solly) hailed Arrow for always putting his family and his team first

    Souths coach Wayne Bennett (pictured right with Arrow, left, and Solly) hailed Arrow for always putting his family and his team first

    ‘He is a special guy and we’re all very lucky to have him at our club and in our lives.’ 

    Solly stressed that Arrow, his partner and daughter are ‘very much part of the Rabbitohs family’.

    ‘We all know how difficult the past few months have been for Jai, but we also know that he will fight this illness with the same bravery, passion and character that was the hallmark of his playing career.’

    The tough forward is hugely respected in NRL circles and won the George Piggins Medal in 2025 as the Rabbitohs’ player of the year.

    He also won the Bob McCarthy club person of the year award in 2025, the Souths Cares Award for outstanding contributions to the community and The Burrow Appreciation Award in 2024.

    Arrow was also a finalist for the NRL’s Ken Stephen Medal in 2025 for his work with Souths Cares, Whatability and Vinnies Vans.

    Arrow also had four seasons at Gold Coast following his two-season stint at the Broncos and played 12 games for Queensland between 2018 and 2023.

    He helped the Maroons win series in 2020, 2022 and 2023 while also playing in the Rabbitohs’ 2021 grand final loss to Penrith.

    Arrow’s diagnosis comes two and a half years after former Maroons hardman Carl Webb died of MND aged 42.

    The rugby league world was also rocked when Western Suburbs, Balmain and North Sydney great Scott Gale died of the debilitating condition at just 39 in 2004.

    Motor neurone disease is a rare condition that mainly affects people in their 60s and 70s, but it can hit adults of all ages.

    It’s caused by a problem with cells in the brain and nerves called motor neurones. These cells gradually stop working over time. It’s not known why this happens.

    Motor neurones control the muscles responsible for movement, speech and breathing. 

    Early symptoms can include weakness in your ankle or leg, like finding it hard to walk upstairs; slurred speech, finding it hard to swallow, a weak grip, and gradual weight loss.

    MND has also struck in the AFL, with footy legend Neale Daniher diagnosed with the condition in 2013.  





    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleBondi hero Ahmed Al Ahmed’s brothers face court after they allegedly demanded $200,000 from him
    Next Article So much for the ‘jet fuel crisis’… there’s never been a better time to grab a holiday bargain – with some almost 50% CHEAPER than last year
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Aussie Olympics legend Neil Brooks has $2million fraud charges dropped after legal battle that lasted almost 10 years

    May 20, 2026

    See the dramatic moment footy fans tackle would-be thief in front of AFL stars after he struck at Collingwood training session

    May 20, 2026

    Late flight forces ex-LIV golfer, 26, to surrender a US Open place as he tries to rebuild his career

    May 20, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025139 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026119 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025102 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202671 Views
    Don't Miss
    International May 20, 2026

    Andy Burnham said that men who identify as women should be able to use female toilets – and only a ‘small minority’ object, he claimed

    Andy Burnham faced a backlash last night over his views on single-sex spaces.Biological males who identify…

    Aussie Olympics legend Neil Brooks has $2million fraud charges dropped after legal battle that lasted almost 10 years

    So much for the ‘jet fuel crisis’… there’s never been a better time to grab a holiday bargain – with some almost 50% CHEAPER than last year

    Footy star Jai Arrow is forced to retire aged 30 after being diagnosed with deadly and incurable motor neurone disease

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Andy Burnham said that men who identify as women should be able to use female toilets – and only a ‘small minority’ object, he claimed

    Aussie Olympics legend Neil Brooks has $2million fraud charges dropped after legal battle that lasted almost 10 years

    So much for the ‘jet fuel crisis’… there’s never been a better time to grab a holiday bargain – with some almost 50% CHEAPER than last year

    Most Popular

    Melbourne mother-of-two allegedly stabbed to death in front of three teens in Bayswater by her neighbour is identified

    November 17, 20240 Views

    ‘I don’t see anyone, I’m like John Cena’

    November 17, 20240 Views

    ‘Bloody Joe’ Biden has taken ‘big step towards WW3’ with decision to let Kyiv strike inside Russia with long-range missiles, Moscow declares as officials threaten ‘harshest response’ and warn UK and France not to follow suit

    November 18, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.