Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Cardi B applauds Muslims’ dedication, cites reason God didn’t direct her path to Islam

    Ghana settle on Bryant University as 2026 FIFA World Cup base

    Andrew’s Met Police protection officers were ‘told to guard Jeffrey Epstein dinner party in New York’, emails reveal

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Swiss mayor admits inferno bar had not been inspected for FIVE YEARS and issues grovelling apology
    International

    Swiss mayor admits inferno bar had not been inspected for FIVE YEARS and issues grovelling apology

    Papa LincBy Papa LincJanuary 6, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read4 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Swiss mayor admits inferno bar had not been inspected for FIVE YEARS and issues grovelling apology
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email



    Swiss mayor admits inferno bar had not been inspected for FIVE YEARS and issues grovelling apology

    By SABRINA PENTY, FOREIGN NEWS REPORTER

    Published: 04:53 EST, 6 January 2026 | Updated: 05:13 EST, 6 January 2026

    The mayor of a Swiss village where 40 people died and 119 suffered severe burns after an inferno tore through a ski bar on New Year’s Day has admitted that the party venue had not had any safety checks for five years. 

    Speaking to a press conference on Tuesday, Crans-Montana Mayor Nicolas Feraud said that no safety inspections had been carried out since 2019 at Le Constellation bar in the Swiss ski resort. 

    ‘We are profoundly sorry. We did not have an indication that the checks had not been done’. 

    ‘We regret that – we owe it to the families and we will accept the responsibility.’

    The mayor added that the sound-proof foam used in the bar was considered acceptable at the time.

    As pictures from inside the bar show, the ceiling was covered in sound-proofing panels, which apparently caught alight from sparklers that were being held too close to the ceiling.  

    He also said that there is a team of just five people who do ‘immense work’ and carry out checks in the area, looking after more than 10,000 buildings, including restaurants and hotels. 

    The local council are looking at why this happened, which will include a full audit of all venues in the area and ensure more checks are carried out, Mr Feraud said. 

    He also said that it is ‘down to the judges’ to determine who is responsible.  

    Prosecutors have said that the fire that spread rapidly in the early hours of January 1 was likely caused by sparkling candles igniting the ceiling of the bar’s basement.

    All sparkler candles have now been banned inside venues, said the mayor at the press conference.

    Swiss authorities have opened a criminal investigation into the bar managers – husband and wife Jacques and Jessica Moretti. 

    The two are suspected of involuntary homicide, involuntary bodily harm and involuntarily causing a fire, according to the Valais region’s chief prosecutor.

    Share or comment on this article:
    Swiss mayor admits inferno bar had not been inspected for FIVE YEARS and issues grovelling apology



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleFarmer butchers couple at cashew farm in Jaman South
    Next Article 2026 declared the year of building systems and structures that last — AfYEF calls Africa’s youth to action
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Andrew’s Met Police protection officers were ‘told to guard Jeffrey Epstein dinner party in New York’, emails reveal

    February 22, 2026

    Hockey coach is banned for life after probe finds he bullied young stars

    February 22, 2026

    Did Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor use official China trade trip to broker multi-million pound private oil deal?

    February 22, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025121 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 202556 Views

    Night Of The Samurai Grand Arrivals Gallery » December 23, 2025

    December 24, 202554 Views

    Here’s why Ghana Airways collapsed in 2004

    November 5, 202454 Views
    Don't Miss
    Entertainment February 22, 2026

    Cardi B applauds Muslims’ dedication, cites reason God didn’t direct her path to Islam

    Famous American rapper, Belcalis Marlenis Almánzar, popularly known as Cardi B Famous American rapper, Belcalis…

    Ghana settle on Bryant University as 2026 FIFA World Cup base

    Andrew’s Met Police protection officers were ‘told to guard Jeffrey Epstein dinner party in New York’, emails reveal

    Italian outfit Genoa offer Ghana forward Caleb Ekuban two-year contract extension

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Cardi B applauds Muslims’ dedication, cites reason God didn’t direct her path to Islam

    Ghana settle on Bryant University as 2026 FIFA World Cup base

    Andrew’s Met Police protection officers were ‘told to guard Jeffrey Epstein dinner party in New York’, emails reveal

    Most Popular

    OK Frimpong reveals why he ‘singlehandedly’ sponsored Medikal’s O2 Ingido (London) occasion

    October 18, 20240 Views

    Seven dead after ferry dock gangway collapses on Georgia’s Sapelo Island

    October 20, 20240 Views

    WAEC releases 2024 BECE results; cancels entire results of 41 candidates

    October 20, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.