Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    American tourists left stranded in beautiful Mexico hotspot as cartels torch cars and wreak havoc in ‘code red’ attack

    Brandon Thomas-Asante returns from suspension in Coventry win

    Bisa Kdei sings in French on new song, ‘Mon Bebe’

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Seven killed and 17 injured after boat sinks off Haiti
    International

    Seven killed and 17 injured after boat sinks off Haiti

    Papa LincBy Papa LincDecember 27, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read2 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Seven killed and 17 injured after boat sinks off Haiti
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    By ADRY TORRES FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

    Published: 14:57 EST, 27 December 2024 | Updated: 15:07 EST, 27 December 2024

    At least seven people were killed and 17 injured after a ship capsized at a port in Haiti.

    The incident took place on Monday when the ship’s crew was loading trucks into the vessel, the Maelys Lome II, at Varreux Terminal in Port-au-Prince, the country’s capital.

    The ship, which transported goods between the cities of Gran Sud and Port-au-Prince, began to lean sideways due to a truck’s ‘poor maneuver’ in the hold, the terminal said in a statement on X.

    ‘This unfortunate accident unfortunately resulted in loss of human life,’ Terminal Varreux said.

    ‘The Terminal Varreaux expresses its deep regret following the accident.’

    The Maelys Lome II is owned by JP Haiti Trans, was built in 1970 and weighs 2,401 tons.

    The terminal said that the company was making plans to right and repair the vessel.

    Videos on social media shows the Maelys Lome II overturned in the water.

    Seven killed and 17 injured after boat sinks off Haiti

    The Maelys Lome II capsized while trucks were being loaded at a port in Port-au-Prince, Haiti on Monday, killing seven people and injuring 17

    The Marlys Lome II, which was built in 1970, tilted to its left moments after a truck made a 'poor maneuver' in the hold

    The Marlys Lome II, which was built in 1970, tilted to its left moments after a truck made a ‘poor maneuver’ in the hold

    Operations were temporarily suspended at the port, according to Terminal Varreux

    Operations were temporarily suspended at the port, according to Terminal Varreux

    Several trucks could be seen leaning to the side on the ship and other objects spread throughout the water. 

    A source with knowledge of the investigation told Lenou Velliste news outlet that there were at least 34 trucks on two floors when the ship overturned.

    ‘Activities at the oil terminal are continuing normally. International port activities, arrivals of fuel boats, propane boats, boats transporting bulk products are continuing normally,’ the source said.

    Transport operations were temporarily suspended but were not expected to impact the ‘arrival of foreign-flagged vessels and the port’s international operations,’ the terminal added. 

    The terminal is located only three miles north of State University of Haiti Hospital, the country’s largest public hospital, where two reporters and a police officer were shot dead in a gang attack on Christmas Eve.

    The medical facility, which is also known as General Hospital, was shut down earlier this year due to gang violence and the reopening was a highly anticipated event.

    Armed gangs in Haiti, with near-total control over capital Port-au-Prince and wide remit over the rest of the country, have targeted hospitals to show their muscle over the government, forcing most to shut down. 

    Share or comment on this article:
    Seven killed and 17 injured after boat sinks off Haiti



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleKwadwo Baah shown red card for taunting Portsmouth fans with a ‘provocative’ dance
    Next Article Lady Shares The Hilarious Video Her Mum Took On Christmas Day (WATCH)
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    American tourists left stranded in beautiful Mexico hotspot as cartels torch cars and wreak havoc in ‘code red’ attack

    February 22, 2026

    Who is Austin Tucker Martin? The 21-year-old killed after entering Mar-a-Lago with a shotgun and gas can

    February 22, 2026

    Tide turns for little abandoned monkey Punch who had no one to love but his stuffed toy… as he’s finally accepted into family

    February 22, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025122 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 202556 Views

    Night Of The Samurai Grand Arrivals Gallery » December 23, 2025

    December 24, 202554 Views

    Here’s why Ghana Airways collapsed in 2004

    November 5, 202454 Views
    Don't Miss
    International February 22, 2026

    American tourists left stranded in beautiful Mexico hotspot as cartels torch cars and wreak havoc in ‘code red’ attack

    Tourist hotspot Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, has erupted into fiery chaos after federal forces conducted an…

    Brandon Thomas-Asante returns from suspension in Coventry win

    Bisa Kdei sings in French on new song, ‘Mon Bebe’

    I begged him not to go” — Pregnant widow breaks down after husband is killed in Burkina Faso Attack

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    American tourists left stranded in beautiful Mexico hotspot as cartels torch cars and wreak havoc in ‘code red’ attack

    Brandon Thomas-Asante returns from suspension in Coventry win

    Bisa Kdei sings in French on new song, ‘Mon Bebe’

    Most Popular

    OK Frimpong reveals why he ‘singlehandedly’ sponsored Medikal’s O2 Ingido (London) occasion

    October 18, 20240 Views

    Seven dead after ferry dock gangway collapses on Georgia’s Sapelo Island

    October 20, 20240 Views

    WAEC releases 2024 BECE results; cancels entire results of 41 candidates

    October 20, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.