Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Techiman South MCE lauds “Nkoko Nkitinkiti” as most patronised government initiative

    Andrew ‘wailed “you can’t do this to me, I’m the Queen’s son”‘ as he was marched out of Royal Lodge: Royal should face TREASON probe, MP says

    Watch how Ghana’s legendary goalkeeper Robert Mensah was given a hero’s farewell in 1971

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»Politics»One Person Dead, 300 Buildings Destroyed in Australia Bushfires
    Politics

    One Person Dead, 300 Buildings Destroyed in Australia Bushfires

    Papa LincBy Papa LincJanuary 12, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read2 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    One Person Dead, 300 Buildings Destroyed in Australia Bushfires
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    One person has died and 300 homes and buildings have been destroyed in bushfires that have torn across south-east Australia.

    The fires have raged in dozens of locations across the country for several days, mostly in the state of Victoria, but also in New South Wales, burning through land almost twice the size of Greater London.

    A state of emergency has been declared in Victoria as thousands of firefighters and more than 70 aircraft battle the blaze. Residents in more than a dozen communities have been advised to evacuate their homes.

    Authorities fear the blazes, fuelled by very hot, dry, and windy conditions, could burn for several weeks.

    Victoria’s Premier, Jacinta Allan, said 30 active fires were burning across the state, 10 of which were of particular concern. She reported that 350,000 hectares had been burnt as of 08:00 local time on Sunday (23:00 GMT on Saturday).

    “We will see fires continue for some time across the state, and that is why we are not through the worst of this by a long way,” Allan told Australian media. “There are fires continuing right now that are threatening homes and property.”

    Human remains were found in the village of Gobur, near the town of Longwood, about 110 km north of Melbourne. Police have not yet identified the victim.

    Allan praised the emergency workers who recovered the body. “This is difficult and confronting work, and it takes a heavy toll,” she said. “The Gobur community is grieving.”

    Bushfire smoke is affecting air quality in many areas across Victoria, including metropolitan Melbourne.

    Authorities said the fires are the worst to hit south-east Australia since the 2019-2020 blazes that destroyed an area the size of Turkey and killed 33 people.

    One of the hardest-hit places is the small town of Harcourt in the central highlands of Victoria, where firefighter Tyrone Rice lost his home while fighting one of the bushfires. He told Australian media it was “like a kick in the guts, but I’m not the first person to go through it, and I won’t be the last.”

    The local fire captain, Andrew Wilson, described the destruction in Harcourt as “gut-wrenching.”

    A reporter for Australia’s 9 News, Jack Ward, told BBC World Service that after visiting several towns in Western Australia, the damage he saw was “catastrophic,” with many homes reduced to nothing more than “a tin roof lying on the ground.”

    —BBC World

    🔗 Follow Ghanaian Times WhatsApp Channel today. https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbAjG7g3gvWajUAEX12Q
    🌍 Trusted News. Real Stories. Anytime, Anywhere.
    ✅ Join our WhatsApp Channel now! https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbAjG7g3gvWajUAEX12Q



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleWatch how Algeria players attacked referees after defeat to Nigeria
    Next Article Sudanese asylum seeker is facing jail after threatening Christian preacher with a knife at Speakers’ Corner
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Marseille appoint Beye – Ghanaian Times

    February 20, 2026

    Arsenal suffer title blow with late Wolves equaliser

    February 20, 2026

    Bodo/Glimt stun Inter in Champions League last 16

    February 20, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025121 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 202556 Views

    Night Of The Samurai Grand Arrivals Gallery » December 23, 2025

    December 24, 202554 Views

    Here’s why Ghana Airways collapsed in 2004

    November 5, 202454 Views
    Don't Miss
    News February 22, 2026

    Techiman South MCE lauds “Nkoko Nkitinkiti” as most patronised government initiative

    This blog is managed by the content creator and not GhanaWeb, its affiliates, or employees.…

    Andrew ‘wailed “you can’t do this to me, I’m the Queen’s son”‘ as he was marched out of Royal Lodge: Royal should face TREASON probe, MP says

    Watch how Ghana’s legendary goalkeeper Robert Mensah was given a hero’s farewell in 1971

    Watch as Mr Beast surprises two dedicated Ghanaian ‘village’ teachers with brand new homes

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Techiman South MCE lauds “Nkoko Nkitinkiti” as most patronised government initiative

    Andrew ‘wailed “you can’t do this to me, I’m the Queen’s son”‘ as he was marched out of Royal Lodge: Royal should face TREASON probe, MP says

    Watch how Ghana’s legendary goalkeeper Robert Mensah was given a hero’s farewell in 1971

    Most Popular

    OK Frimpong reveals why he ‘singlehandedly’ sponsored Medikal’s O2 Ingido (London) occasion

    October 18, 20240 Views

    Seven dead after ferry dock gangway collapses on Georgia’s Sapelo Island

    October 20, 20240 Views

    WAEC releases 2024 BECE results; cancels entire results of 41 candidates

    October 20, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.