Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    How Jato village fought back

    Blizzard warning for 30 million as bomb cyclone set to detonate across northeast: ‘Travel dangerous, impossible’

    Government allocates GH¢150m for Black Stars’ world cup preparations

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Nigel Farage accuses UK Government of trying to thwart his mission to send aid to Chagos Islanders trying to stop transfer of islands to Mauritius
    International

    Nigel Farage accuses UK Government of trying to thwart his mission to send aid to Chagos Islanders trying to stop transfer of islands to Mauritius

    Papa LincBy Papa LincFebruary 21, 2026No Comments7 Mins Read0 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Nigel Farage accuses UK Government of trying to thwart his mission to send aid to Chagos Islanders trying to stop transfer of islands to Mauritius
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    Nigel Farage has accused the British government of attempting to thwart a mission to get aid to a group of Chagossians on a deserted island.

    The Reform UK leader flew to the Maldives last week with the intention of boarding an aid boat to Île du Coin, one of the Chagos Islands, where a four-strong ‘advance party’ is seeking to resettle their former homeland.

    Vital supplies including food and medicine have been gathered to help the men, who hope to block the transfer of the Chagos Islands from Britain to Mauritius by establishing a permanent base.

    But Mr Farage claims the UK government has been bending over backwards to prevent him boarding the boat and completing the 24-hour aid mission to the islands – which remain a British territory.

    It is understood the vessel will now make the roughly 300-mile trip without Mr Farage, and that he will return to the UK on Saturday night.

    Recording a video from the Maldives, in the Indian Ocean, Mr Farage claimed the government had ‘search parties out trying to find me’, and said he does not understand Starmer’s ‘obsession with getting rid of the Chagos Islands’.

    In a statement to the Daily Mail, Mr Farage said this evening: ‘The British Government has made every effort to prevent me heading towards the Chagos Islands. They have asked the Maldives government to stop me from leaving here and setting foot on the boat. This was information conveyed to me by a senior figure in the Maldives government.

    ‘I cannot believe such an attempt has been made to stop a British citizen from reaching British territory. My source told me the British were ‘very concerned’ about me and wanted to know why I was here.’

    Nigel Farage accuses UK Government of trying to thwart his mission to send aid to Chagos Islanders trying to stop transfer of islands to Mauritius

    Nigel Farage recording a video in the Maldives, from where he had hoped to join a mission to take aid to Chagossians attempting to resettle Île du Coin

    Chagossian first minister Misley Mandarin (L) and his father (R) have been granted a temporary right to stay on Île du Coin after returning this week

    Chagossian first minister Misley Mandarin (L) and his father (R) have been granted a temporary right to stay on Île du Coin after returning this week

    Eviction papers demanded the group of four left the island, but a judge has since temporarily blocked the notice

    Eviction papers demanded the group of four left the island, but a judge has since temporarily blocked the notice

    The Foreign Office said this week it remains ‘illegal and unsafe to enter the outer Chagos Islands without a valid permit’.

    The UK government has drawn up a controversial plan to cede sovereignty of the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, almost 60 years after islanders were forcibly removed to make way for a British-America military base on Diego Garcia, the largest of the islands.

    The islands are currently owned by Britain, and under the terms the UK would lease back Diego Garcia in order to maintain the military base.

    Over the course of a century, the deal would cost the UK around £35billion – which also includes funding for development in Mauritius.

    Given America’s stake in the base, backing from the White House is seen as essential to getting the deal over the line, but President Trump’s flipflopping position appears to have settled firmly against it.

    Last week, he urged Starmer not to ‘give away Diego Garcia’, and previously branded it an ‘act of great stupidity’.

    Between making those comments, however, the President said he understood the deal was ‘the best he [Starmer] could make, so his true feelings are somewhat difficult to assess.

    There is also potent opposition from Chagossians themselves, some of whom have vowed they would ‘rather die’ than accept transfer to Mauritius.

    Among the opponents are the Chagossian First Minister Misley Mandarin and three other islanders, who landed on the deserted Île du Coin and declared they were resettling there.

    Donald Trump has urged Keir Starmer not to 'give away Diego Garcia', though his position on the deal has proven erratic

    Donald Trump has urged Keir Starmer not to ‘give away Diego Garcia’, though his position on the deal has proven erratic 

    Sir Keir Starmer has been criticised for attempting to stop native Chagossians resettling, and urged to the let the US use Diego Garcia to stage an attack on Iran

    Sir Keir Starmer has been criticised for attempting to stop native Chagossians resettling, and urged to the let the US use Diego Garcia to stage an attack on Iran

    They have been living in tents since landing on Monday, and said they expected more arrivals imminently – with the hope that a permanent settlement would complicate the plan to transfer the islands to Mauritius.

    Mr Mandarin’s father, 74-year-old Michel Mandarin, was removed from the island when he was 14, and is among the foursome to have returned.

    The advance party was served with eviction papers from the UK government on Wednesday, delivered by a British patrol boat.

    They were told they if they did not leave the island, they faced a three-year prison sentence or £3000 fine.

    However, the legislative attempt to turf them out was halted by a judge on Thursday.

    Justice James Lewis, handing down his ruling from a flight 25,000ft in the air, issued a temporary block on the eviction notice.

    Mr Lewis, who is the chief justice of the British Indian Ocean territory, said: ‘It follows that I grant a temporary injunction against the enforcement of section 12 notices.

    ‘This injunction will remain in place for seven days to allow the defendants to file a response.’

    The joint UK-US military base on Diego Garcia, which is strategically located near to the Middle East

    The joint UK-US military base on Diego Garcia, which is strategically located near to the Middle East

    The largest of the Chagos islands, Diego Garcia (pictured),would be leased back from Mauritius under the Chagos deal

    The largest of the Chagos islands, Diego Garcia (pictured),would be leased back from Mauritius under the Chagos deal

    Misley Mandarin, right, and his father as they arrived on the archipelago in defiance of the British government’s exclusion zone this week

    Misley Mandarin, right, and his father as they arrived on the archipelago in defiance of the British government’s exclusion zone this week

    In a ‘Declaration of Returning’, the group on Île du Coin said: ‘We, the people of the Chagos Islands, stand today on the soil of our homeland.

    ‘We are the advance party. Hundreds more are following. We have come home.’

    In response to being handed the eviction papers, Mr Mandarin said: ‘This is really appalling, we have been exiled from our homeland for more than half a century.

    ‘Now, having this vessel service me this order that if I do not leave the island I might have to be in prison for three years or pay a hefty fine.

    ‘I am very angry about it’.

    Shadow Foreign Secretary Dame Priti Patel said Labour is ‘doing Mauritius’s bidding’ by ‘threatening Chagossians with prison sentences or crippling fines for landing on the Islands’.

    Some have suggested that Labour’s attempt to evict the islanders are unlawful.

    James Tumbridge, who is the acting attorney general for the Chagos government under Mr Mandarin, said: ‘This injunction gives a proper chance to understand when a deportation is appropriate.

    ‘My clients are native Chagossians seeking to return peacefully to their homeland. We welcome the clarity and fairness reflected in today’s decision.’

    The resettlement project was condemned by the Foreign Office, which described it as an ‘illegal, unsafe stunt’.

    Starmer has also been criticised for refusing to let Donald Trump use British bases, including Diego Garcia, to stage attacks on Iran.

    Rear Admiral Chris Parry, a retired Royal Navy officer, said: ‘At a time when our US ally needs to be reassured of Britain’s staunch opposition to brutal regimes and about its access to the Chagos Islands and [UK-US military base] Diego Garcia, our Government is proving unreliable and weak.’ 

    This week, the Daily Mail revealed that a ‘great friend’ of Keir Starmer pocketed a share of an £8million pot for his work on the Chagos deal.

    Phillippe Sands KC acted as chief legal council to Mauritius between 2010 and 2024, and led a group of legal teams that were allocated the cash from the Mauritian state budget.

    Asked how much he was paid, Sands told a House of Lords Committee he ‘did not know’ but admitted he was ‘remunerated, as I am for almost all my cases. It was not done pro bono’.

    A spokesperson for the Foreign Office said this week: ‘It remains both illegal and unsafe to enter the outer Chagos Islands without a valid permit.

    ‘The UK Government recognises the importance of the islands to the Chagossian community and is working with Mauritius to resume a programme of heritage visits to the Chagos Archipelago.

    ‘This kind of illegal, unsafe action is not the way to achieve that.

    ‘The vessel does not pose any security risk to Diego Garcia.’

    The Foreign Office was approached for further comment in the wake of Mr Farage’s accusations.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleHasaacas edge Ampem Darkoa to reach Women’s FA Cup semi finals
    Next Article Trump raises global tariffs to 15% after Supreme Court loss
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Blizzard warning for 30 million as bomb cyclone set to detonate across northeast: ‘Travel dangerous, impossible’

    February 21, 2026

    Dark side of vacation paradise sends chill across America after surfing legend’s murder: Terrifying map shows homicide hotspots

    February 21, 2026

    German publishing group that supports a united Europe launches bid to buy the Telegraph

    February 21, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025121 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 202556 Views

    Night Of The Samurai Grand Arrivals Gallery » December 23, 2025

    December 24, 202554 Views

    Here’s why Ghana Airways collapsed in 2004

    November 5, 202454 Views
    Don't Miss
    News February 21, 2026

    How Jato village fought back

    Okada riders used noodles to trick girls into sex In Jato Village, in the Suhum…

    Blizzard warning for 30 million as bomb cyclone set to detonate across northeast: ‘Travel dangerous, impossible’

    Government allocates GH¢150m for Black Stars’ world cup preparations

    I spend a minimum of GH¢500 on food daily

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    How Jato village fought back

    Blizzard warning for 30 million as bomb cyclone set to detonate across northeast: ‘Travel dangerous, impossible’

    Government allocates GH¢150m for Black Stars’ world cup preparations

    Most Popular

    OK Frimpong reveals why he ‘singlehandedly’ sponsored Medikal’s O2 Ingido (London) occasion

    October 18, 20240 Views

    Seven dead after ferry dock gangway collapses on Georgia’s Sapelo Island

    October 20, 20240 Views

    WAEC releases 2024 BECE results; cancels entire results of 41 candidates

    October 20, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.