A man shot dead in a brazen public shooting in Sydney‘s west is being remembered as a loving father-of-two as a teenager is charged with murder.
Emergency services were called to Carinya Street, Blacktown, around 11.50am on Friday after reports that shots had been fired.
Officers found 28-year-old Mal Seve with wounds to his neck, chest, and leg. He was treated by paramedics but died at the scene.
Seve was an alleged member of the Inner West Brotherhood gang.
People close to him told 9News he was a loving father-of-two.
While paramedics fought to save Seve, officers tried to intercept a fleeing Mazda ute, triggering a tense five-minute pursuit.
The car crashed less than 1km away on Kildare Road and two men, aged 18 and 25, ran were chased, arrested and taken to Blacktown Police Station.
Footage published by independent media channel SCN Worldstar showed one of the suspected shooters lying on the ground between two cars with a cut on his face, surrounded by officers as he was handcuffed.
Alleged member of the Inner West Brotherhood gang and a father-of-two, Mal Seve (pictured) was shot dead on Friday morning on Carinya Street, Blacktown,
Footage published by independent media channel SCN Worldstar showed one of the suspected shooters lying on the ground between two cars with a cut on his face (pictured)
Two men known to police, 18 and 25, were arrested by police shortly after the shooting
The pair had fled the scene of the shooting in a Mazda ute but, after it crashed, had attempted to run from NSW Police officers before they were apprehended
The 25-year-old man was taken to hospital for treatment of minor injuries where he remains under police guard.
The 18-year-old man was charged with murder, driving dangerously, taking and driving a conveyance without the owner’s consent, and failing to stop during a police pursuit.
He was refused bail and will appear in court on Saturday.
‘Both the people in custody and the victim are known to police,’ Superintendent Brendan Gorman told reporters on Friday.
‘Public place shootings and all shootings, police take very seriously – it’s one of our number one priorities.
‘Police will do whatever it takes to end that violence.’
Sydney has experienced more than a dozen public shootings, arson attacks and kidnappings since Christmas 2024, prompting police to set up the 150 officer-strong Taskforce Falcon in May to tackle underworld warfare.
