Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    PNFC secure narrow 1-0 victory over UCC Youngsters in Matchday 19 clash

    King Promise Reveals His Ultimate Red Flag In A Relationship

    Billboard under fire for calling Rema ‘one-hit wonder’

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Lucy Letby is denied retrial for attempted murder of baby girl
    International

    Lucy Letby is denied retrial for attempted murder of baby girl

    Papa LincBy Papa LincOctober 24, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read5 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Lucy Letby is denied retrial for attempted murder of baby girl
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    By Matt Strudwick

    Published: 07:43 EDT, 24 October 2024 | Updated: 07:43 EDT, 24 October 2024

    Lucy Letby has been denied a retrial for the attempted murder of a premature baby girl.

    The former neonatal nurse, 34, was seeking approval to challenge her most recent conviction for trying to kill the newborn, known as Child K, after being found guilty following a retrial in July.

    Today, three senior judges decided the child serial killer cannot proceed to a full appeal following Thursday’s hearing at the Court of Appeal in London.

    Following July’s conviction Child K’s family described the anguish of having to endure a ‘long, torturous and emotional journey – twice’. 

    Letby, formerly of Hereford, watched the hearing via a video link from HMP Bronzefield, wearing a green dress. 

    She was previously sentenced to 14 whole life orders after being found guilty at her first trial of the murders of seven babies and the attempted murders of six others, with two attempts on one child. 

    Lucy Letby is denied retrial for attempted murder of baby girl

    Lucy Letby has been denied a retrial for the attempted murder of a premature baby girl

    The former neonatal nurse, 34, was seeking approval to challenge her most recent conviction for trying to kill the newborn, known as Child K, after being found guilty following a retrial in July

    The former neonatal nurse, 34, was seeking approval to challenge her most recent conviction for trying to kill the newborn, known as Child K, after being found guilty following a retrial in July

    Benjamin Myers KC, for Letby, earlier today told the court that the attempted murder charge should have ‘stayed’ as an ‘abuse of process’ due to ‘overwhelming and irremediable prejudice’ caused by media coverage of her first trial. 

    He said: ‘The learned judge was wrong to reject the application made by the defence at the outset of the trial to stay the indictment as an abuse of process.’

    He continued: ‘It is an exceptional case, with exceptional media interest, and therefore exceptional unfairness is capable of arising, notwithstanding the safeguards that are often employed.’

    Mr Myers added: ‘We are dealing with the impact of media coverage and public comment arising from the first trial, upon the second.’

    He said that media coverage before the retrial was ‘saturated with unadulterated vitriol towards Ms Letby’, which included coverage on the BBC’s Panorama and ITV’s Loose Women which ‘described her as evil and depraved’.

    He continued that “the media coverage following trial one, particularly in the immediate aftermath” included “highly prejudicial and emotive public comment by police officers in charge of the investigation” while a retrial was still under consideration.

    Share or comment on this article:
    Lucy Letby is denied retrial for attempted murder of baby girl



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleGNPC Foundation sponsors 315 candidates to write NVTI exams
    Next Article Mawuko Afadzinu wins ATTF top position
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Harrowing moment high school hockey players flee for their lives during game in Pawtucket as gunman opens fire and kills 2 spectators

    February 16, 2026

    Now Scotland’s cash-strapped police ‘write off’ nearly 23,000 crimes

    February 16, 2026

    Young girl dead and four rushed to hospital after gunman opens fire at high school hockey game in Rhode Island

    February 16, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025121 Views

    Night Of The Samurai Grand Arrivals Gallery » December 23, 2025

    December 24, 202554 Views

    Here’s why Ghana Airways collapsed in 2004

    November 5, 202454 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 202553 Views
    Don't Miss
    Sports February 16, 2026

    PNFC secure narrow 1-0 victory over UCC Youngsters in Matchday 19 clash

    The decisive moment came in the 75th minute when PNFC was awarded a penalty Police…

    King Promise Reveals His Ultimate Red Flag In A Relationship

    Billboard under fire for calling Rema ‘one-hit wonder’

    Concerned Farmers Association unhappy about politicization of cocoa sector

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    PNFC secure narrow 1-0 victory over UCC Youngsters in Matchday 19 clash

    King Promise Reveals His Ultimate Red Flag In A Relationship

    Billboard under fire for calling Rema ‘one-hit wonder’

    Most Popular

    OK Frimpong reveals why he ‘singlehandedly’ sponsored Medikal’s O2 Ingido (London) occasion

    October 18, 20240 Views

    Emma Heming Willis shares family photos as daughter Mabel turns 11

    October 18, 20240 Views

    Seven dead after ferry dock gangway collapses on Georgia’s Sapelo Island

    October 20, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.