Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Trump’s unhinged threat to Fox News reporter, 37, and her ‘RINO’ fiancé, 52, as he lashes out at her question

    Kofi Adams warns fans against fake World Cup travel agents

    Police Scotland gave out £360 vouchers to LGBT
panel for ‘woke’ advice

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»Politics»FIFA rejects compensation for Qatar 2022 World Cup workers
    Politics

    FIFA rejects compensation for Qatar 2022 World Cup workers

    Papa LincBy Papa LincDecember 5, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read6 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    FIFA rejects compensation for Qatar 2022 World Cup workers
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


     FIFA released a report on the legacy of the 2022 World Cup last week, ignor­ing its committee’s recommendation for compensation for human losses during construction in Qatar.

    Instead, the football governing body un­veiled a £39.4 million “legacy fund,” which excludes compensation.

    Notably, the organisation’s sub-committee on human rights and social responsibility concluded that FIFA has a ‘responsibility’ to contribute to the compensation of workers affected by the preparation and delivery of the tournament. However, they have rejected this recommendation.

    “There are workers who have contribut­ed to the resounding success of the World Cup… who have not yet benefited from compensation or adequate redress,” the report stated. The committee recommends FIFA “dedicate all or part of the 2022 World Cup Legacy Fund to further strengthening the legacy of the competition for migrant workers”.

    In 2021, it was revealed that 6,500 migrant workers from India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangla­desh and Sri Lanka had died in Qatar since it won the bid to host the tournament in 2010. The Qatari government argued that not all the deaths were linked to work on World Cup-related projects.

    Labour reforms and benefits for workers were introduced in 2017. The ongoing con­troversy over the record revenue generated – around £6 billion (€7.249m) – has always been at odds with FIFA’s failure to imple­ment a £350 million (€422.8m) compen­sation fund for the families of injured or deceased workers, instead committing to the Legacy Fund.

    Amnesty International said, “It is no mystery why FIFA has tried to keep this independent report hidden for so long; it clearly concludes that the organisation has a responsibility to ensure remedies, including compensation, for hundreds of thousands of workers who have suffered abuses related to the 2022 World Cup.

    In response, FIFA said, “All reports and recommendations have been considered in a comprehensive review by the FIFA admin­istration and relevant bodies. While not all recommendations could be implemented, practical and effective elements were re­tained. It should be noted that the study did not specifically constitute a legal assessment of the obligation to remedy.” –Insidethegames.biz



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleNii Lante Vanderpuye recounts how GFA officials plotted to have him disgraced by Black Stars players
    Next Article Shocking attack on a synagogue in Melbourne – as two men ‘break in, douse the building with petrol, and set it on fire’
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Hearts, Aduana FC share points in Accra

    May 11, 2026

    Medeama edge closer to GPL title

    May 11, 2026

    SCORES AT A GLANCE 

    May 11, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025139 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026119 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025102 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202671 Views
    Don't Miss
    International May 20, 2026

    Trump’s unhinged threat to Fox News reporter, 37, and her ‘RINO’ fiancé, 52, as he lashes out at her question

    By PHILLIP NIETO, US POLITICAL REPORTER Published: 15:06 EDT, 20 May 2026 | Updated: 16:21…

    Kofi Adams warns fans against fake World Cup travel agents

    Police Scotland gave out £360 vouchers to LGBT
panel for ‘woke’ advice

    GFA unveils fan transport programme with Metro Mass Transit

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Trump’s unhinged threat to Fox News reporter, 37, and her ‘RINO’ fiancé, 52, as he lashes out at her question

    Kofi Adams warns fans against fake World Cup travel agents

    Police Scotland gave out £360 vouchers to LGBT
panel for ‘woke’ advice

    Most Popular

    Breakthrough in search for missing San Francisco man who vanished in 2017

    November 19, 20240 Views

    “And she’s among the girls shouting” – Female congregant publicly declares crúsh during an anonymous Q&A session in church (WATCH)

    November 19, 20240 Views

    Tsikata praised Mahama’s govt because he enjoyed contracts under that regime

    November 20, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.