Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Plus-size Muslim woman, 35, plotted ISIS bombing of NY State Capitol after scouting building in burka, FBI says

    Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46

    Pakistan’s ex-PM Imran Khan reportedly moved to hospital from jail | Politics News

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»Africa News»DR Congo to receive 70,000 doses of Ervebo vaccine as Ebola infections surge | Ebola News
    Africa News

    DR Congo to receive 70,000 doses of Ervebo vaccine as Ebola infections surge | Ebola News

    Papa LincBy Papa LincAugust 20, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read1 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    DR Congo to receive 70,000 doses of Ervebo vaccine as Ebola infections surge | Ebola News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    WHO says vaccines for Ebola virus disease being allocated to DRC amid largest outbreak that has killed nearly 2,500.

    By Anadolu, AP and Reuters

    Published On 20 Aug 202620 Aug 2026

    As the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) struggles to manage its largest outbreak of the Ebola virus, it is set to receive 70,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine which has been effective in previous epidemics.

    The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Thursday that the doses have been allocated from the global Ebola virus disease vaccine stockpile and would include 20,000 shots to be used in a late-stage trial ‌‌to understand the impact of the vaccine on the Bundibugyo virus.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 4 itemsend of list

    Bundibugyo is responsible for the current outbreak, which has so far killed 2,476 people out of the 5,208 confirmed cases.

    The Ervebo vaccine is licensed for use against the Ebola virus – one of the viruses that cause Ebola disease – but not for Bundibugyo.

    “It ⁠⁠is not known whether Ervebo may be ⁠⁠protective against the Bundibugyo virus in humans,” the WHO said, stressing the importance of clinical trials to provide new evidence.

    To date, no vaccine or specific treatment has been approved for the Bundibugyo virus.

    Health workers stand in a new Ebola treatment center during a visit of Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO), in Bunia, in the northeastern Democratic Republic of the Congo. [May 31: AFP]
    Health workers in a new Ebola treatment centre in the north east of the DRC [File: AFP]

    The Congolese government requested last week a release of Ervebo vaccines from the International Coordinating Group on Vaccine Provision.

    The remaining 50,000 shots will be used for front line and health workers, following recommendations from the Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization, the WHO said.

    The Geneva-based global vaccine alliance, Gavi, said it would provide $7m to fund the shipment to the DRC, along with another $6m to help with vaccination efforts in high-risk areas.

    WHO Director-General, Tedros Ghebreyesus, said earlier this week that the Ebola outbreak in eastern DRC remains a global emergency.

    Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for the United Nations secretary-general, told reporters on Thursday that humanitarian agencies were warning of the continued spread of the outbreak as authorities seek to manage it.

    “Our senior Ebola coordinator on the ground, Julian Harneis, said the government and our partners are scaling up the response with five operational priorities, including tripling safe care capacity, strengthening community engagement, doubling the number of safe and dignified burial teams and expanding disease surveillance and increasing support for the most vulnerable,” he said.

    With support from the UN and its partners, the Congolese government also launched the “Congo River Without Ebola” initiative to intensify their response by strengthening disease surveillance and preparedness.

    The current outbreak was declared in mid-May, but some experts suspect it began as early as February.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleMoGCSP strengthens stakeholder engagement on witchcraft accusations
    Next Article ‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Pakistan’s ex-PM Imran Khan reportedly moved to hospital from jail | Politics News

    August 20, 2026

    US pummels Cuban economy with new sanctions on mining, construction | Donald Trump News

    August 20, 2026

    Thai schools hold shooter drills after deadly attack | Gun Violence

    August 20, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025147 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025114 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202678 Views
    Don't Miss
    International August 20, 2026

    Plus-size Muslim woman, 35, plotted ISIS bombing of NY State Capitol after scouting building in burka, FBI says

    A New York woman allegedly planned to bomb the New York State Capitol and scouted…

    Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46

    Pakistan’s ex-PM Imran Khan reportedly moved to hospital from jail | Politics News

    [16:55, 20/08/2026] Edem: 2nd Congress: GFA boosts DOL, WPL clubs with financial and logistical support package

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Plus-size Muslim woman, 35, plotted ISIS bombing of NY State Capitol after scouting building in burka, FBI says

    Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46

    Pakistan’s ex-PM Imran Khan reportedly moved to hospital from jail | Politics News

    Most Popular

    “Dad can’t wait to marry you off” – Bride’s father eagerly approves the couple’s union with a swift ‘Yes’ answer on their wedding day (WATCH)

    November 21, 20240 Views

    Ring camera captures young couple calmly coming and going after killing ‘grandfather’

    November 21, 20240 Views

    Alan Kyerematen says the NPP is a declining party and advises Ghanaians to look beyond it.

    November 23, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.