Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Believe In Yourself First, God Second – Celestine Donkor Counsels

    TOUGHA champions service excellence to elevate Ghana’s tourism standards

    Energy minister engages Cenpower on strengthening Ghana’s power sector

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Climber, 39, who left his girlfriend to die on an Austrian mountain is found guilty of manslaughter
    International

    Climber, 39, who left his girlfriend to die on an Austrian mountain is found guilty of manslaughter

    Papa LincBy Papa LincFebruary 19, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read1 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Climber, 39, who left his girlfriend to die on an Austrian mountain is found guilty of manslaughter
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email



    Climber, 39, who left his girlfriend to die on an Austrian mountain is found guilty of manslaughter

    By TARYN KAUR PEDLER, FOREIGN NEWS REPORTER

    Published: 16:38 EST, 19 February 2026 | Updated: 17:00 EST, 19 February 2026

    A climber who abandoned his girlfriend to die at the top of a freezing mountain has been found guilty of manslaughter.

    Thomas Plamberger, 39, stood trial on Thursday after his girlfriend, Kerstin Gurtner, 33, died just 150ft below the summit of the 12,460ft Grossglockner in January last year as temperatures plunged to minus 20C.

    He was accused of leaving Gurtner ‘exhausted, hypothermic and disoriented’ while he went to get help, during his trial, which opened today in Innsbruck.

    Following the guilty verdict, Plamberger has been sentenced to five months’ imprisonment, suspended for 3 years, and handed a fine of £8,400. 

    Plamberger said at the beginning of his roughly two-hour interrogation before Judge Norbert Hofer: ‘I am incredibly sorry’. He said he had ‘loved’ his girlfriend and that they had ‘always planned their tours together.’ 

    The defendant repeatedly emphasised that he had ‘no alpine training whatsoever’ and could therefore have not played the role of a mountain guide to Gurtner.

    He said: ‘I trained myself, for example with videos.’ He claimed his girlfriend was almost as knowledgeable and skilled at mountain climbing as he was. 

    ‘I may have done more tours, but she knew exactly what she was getting into,’ he explained in the packed courtroom, attended by around 50 media representatives.

    Plamberger claimed his girlfriend shouted at him to ‘Go, now go!’ after he spent an hour and a half with her in freezing conditions when the couple experienced a rope jam.

    He said he ‘really couldn’t say’ how the rapid physical deterioration had occurred and described it as an ‘exceptional situation’ for both of them. 

    The seasoned climber told the hearing he had only attempted the descent of the mountain after the couple had discussed it, saying that his girlfriend encouraging him to leave saved his life.  

    But Judge Hofer found the circumstances of how Gurtner’s body was found inconsistent with Plamberger’s explanations.

    The judge showed a photograph of Gurtner hanging freely from the rock face – indicating that she had fallen, he said.

    Plamberger said he had left her at a different location approximately ten metres away, and restrained.

    He claimed he secured her to the rock face with a rope to prevent her from falling.

    But the court heard she was found dangling from the rope and had been hanging on the rock face for two hours before she died.

    The Innsbruck prosecutor’s office said he left Gurtner at 2am and a rescue operation began 90 minutes later when he called emergency services.

    Rescue teams were unable to reach Gurtner until the following day due to hurricane-force winds, and she was found just below a cross that marks the summit.

    The head of the mountain rescuer team who found her body told the judge‘ it was certainly not a pretty sight for us’, adding ‘it looks as if she had climbed down’

    Given the extremely harsh conditions, the defendant should have turned back earlier, prosecutors said.

    Even when he had left his partner to get help, he did not bring her to a wind-protected place and did not use bivouac sack or aluminium rescue blanket.

    The mountain rescue station’s group instructor said Plamberger’s ‘account of the situation didn’t quite add up’.

    He said the 39-year-old ‘couldn’t explain why he hadn’t used the bivouac sack’ and that he could have used one if she was left in the spot he claimed.

    It also emerged that the seasoned climber allegedly left an ex-girlfriend on the mountain range following a ‘heated argument with her on the Grossglockner in winter’.

    Prosecutors said he left his ex-girlfriend alone on the mountain in pitch darkness after she complained about the difficulty of the climb.

    This is a breaking news story. More to follow. 

    Share or comment on this article:
    Climber, 39, who left his girlfriend to die on an Austrian mountain is found guilty of manslaughter



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleGFA president urges Ghana police to back judicial process on matchday safety
    Next Article Manhyia South MP demands clear legal definition of Prima Facie in removal process
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Bombshell update after NRL star shot in Sydney and left fighting for life – as new details emerge and police make arrests

    February 19, 2026

    Breakthrough in search for grandfather kidnapped and tortured in mistaken identity case

    February 19, 2026

    Arrested Andrew is pictured being released from custody: Former Prince is driven from police station after becoming the first royal to be arrested in modern times

    February 19, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025121 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 202555 Views

    Night Of The Samurai Grand Arrivals Gallery » December 23, 2025

    December 24, 202554 Views

    Here’s why Ghana Airways collapsed in 2004

    November 5, 202454 Views
    Don't Miss
    Lifestyle February 19, 2026

    Believe In Yourself First, God Second – Celestine Donkor Counsels

    Gospel singer Celestine Donkor has sparked debate online with advice that flips a familiar faith…

    TOUGHA champions service excellence to elevate Ghana’s tourism standards

    Energy minister engages Cenpower on strengthening Ghana’s power sector

    Bombshell update after NRL star shot in Sydney and left fighting for life – as new details emerge and police make arrests

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Believe In Yourself First, God Second – Celestine Donkor Counsels

    TOUGHA champions service excellence to elevate Ghana’s tourism standards

    Energy minister engages Cenpower on strengthening Ghana’s power sector

    Most Popular

    OK Frimpong reveals why he ‘singlehandedly’ sponsored Medikal’s O2 Ingido (London) occasion

    October 18, 20240 Views

    Seven dead after ferry dock gangway collapses on Georgia’s Sapelo Island

    October 20, 20240 Views

    WAEC releases 2024 BECE results; cancels entire results of 41 candidates

    October 20, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.