Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    The High Street shops taking payments for people smugglers: Moment UK phone store worker offers to take ‘£3k in cash’ for a small boat migrant crossing

    Ghanaian swimmer Jacob Kaleem marks return with personal best split

    £10k-a-year prep school threatens to name and shame parents parking ‘illegally and dangerously’ if residents send photographic evidence

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Bizarre Aussie beach trend sparks outrage as visitors resort to extreme measures to reserve a spot
    International

    Bizarre Aussie beach trend sparks outrage as visitors resort to extreme measures to reserve a spot

    Papa LincBy Papa LincJanuary 15, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read6 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Bizarre Aussie beach trend sparks outrage as visitors resort to extreme measures to reserve a spot
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    By HARRISON CHRISTIAN FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

    Published: 23:26 EST, 14 January 2025 | Updated: 00:19 EST, 15 January 2025

    Aussies have been called out for resorting to a bizarre measure to reserve a spot at the beach by using glad wrap to secure public gazebos.

    Signs have been raised along Cliff Road in North Wollongong, south of Sydney, warning beachgoers not to lay claim to the facilities by wrapping them up. 

    ‘This is a shared public space,’ they read. ‘The use of cling wrap or any material to enclose picnic shelters is prohibited.’

    Lord Mayor of Wollongong Tania Brown said she was disappointed that council had to go so far as erecting the signs. 

    Council rangers had been ordered to ‘remove’ the wrapping if they found it, she told news.com.au. 

    It comes after NSW Premier Chris Minns laid down bold new ‘rules’ about the use of portable gazebos on Australia’s prime beaches.

    The national debate is centred on the use of cabanas to reserve spots on the shoreline – a practice that has been deemed ‘un-Australian’.

    Bizarre Aussie beach trend sparks outrage as visitors resort to extreme measures to reserve a spot

    The signs along Cliff Road, North Wollongong warned beachgoers not to lay claim to the beachside gazebos by wrapping glad wrap around them (above)

    ‘You can’t like, put a peg in the ground and claim the land is yours with the cabana, like Richard Nixon did with the moon,’ Mr Minns said on Thursday.

    ‘It doesn’t work that way. You can’t just stick a cabana up and lay claim to it.’ 

    Mr Minns then revealed his ‘rules’ for anyone who wanted to use a cabana.

    ‘You have to have one of your stupid friends who agrees to go down there early in the day and have a rotation process,’ he said.

    ‘You can have one person, one person’s enough, and they can be sleeping or hungover or reading a crap novel.

    ‘They can even use the beach, you can go for a swim, but you have to be on site on the beach.’

    Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has also dipped his toe in the cabana waters.

    During an appearance on Today, Mr Albanese said the practice was ‘not on’ and that it went against the country’s egalitarian spirit.

    Lord Mayor of Wollongong Tania Brown said she was disappointed that council had to go so far as erecting the signs around the gazebos

    Lord Mayor of Wollongong Tania Brown said she was disappointed that council had to go so far as erecting the signs around the gazebos

    Aussies have shared images of gazebos lying empty on the sand while other beachgoers are forced to fight over what little spots are left. 

    Popular Instagram influencer Miss Double Bay, who has almost 64,000 followers, has shared a ‘solution to the cabana epidemic that is plaguing the beaches’ by dividing the sand into areas where they’re allowed and those where they’re banned.

    Miss Double Bay proposed that councils need to set up ‘Cabana Corners’.

    ‘While I am all for sun safety I think we can all agree here they (cabanas) are unsightly,’ she said.

    ‘Especially if you are a family of two why do you need an eight-seater (popular make) CoolCabana?’

    ‘People come to the beach to take in the sights and sounds of mother nature… not some weird patterned tent that looks like your grandmother’s couch.’

    The solution ‘everybody will get around’ is to have a ‘designated area of the beach where the CoolCabanas can live’.

    ‘This section would be in the back of the beach so no one could see,’ the influencer said.

    The ‘Cabana Corners would have ‘parking meters where if you want to stay for longer you have to put more money in’.

    To enforce this a new type of inspector would have to employed.

    ‘If we are seeing a cabana that is not in the Cabana Corner, immediate fine, immediate fine and you are asked to leave the beach,’ she said.

    She then – a little overenthusiastically – outlined other cabana offences that could attract an ‘immediate fine’.

    Share or comment on this article:
    Bizarre Aussie beach trend sparks outrage as visitors resort to extreme measures to reserve a spot



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleAntoine Semenyo insists Bournemouth should have picked all three points from Chelsea game
    Next Article Methodist Rev Minister survives serious car accident
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    The High Street shops taking payments for people smugglers: Moment UK phone store worker offers to take ‘£3k in cash’ for a small boat migrant crossing

    May 18, 2026

    £10k-a-year prep school threatens to name and shame parents parking ‘illegally and dangerously’ if residents send photographic evidence

    May 18, 2026

    Elite Finnish divers join hunt for bodies of scuba team inside 200ft-long ‘shark cave’ – as Maldives tour firm insists it had no idea group planned to dive so deep

    May 18, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025139 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026119 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025102 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202671 Views
    Don't Miss
    International May 18, 2026

    The High Street shops taking payments for people smugglers: Moment UK phone store worker offers to take ‘£3k in cash’ for a small boat migrant crossing

    This is the moment a UK phone shop worker offered to take £3,000 in cash…

    Ghanaian swimmer Jacob Kaleem marks return with personal best split

    £10k-a-year prep school threatens to name and shame parents parking ‘illegally and dangerously’ if residents send photographic evidence

    Laryea Kingston describes 2010 World Cup exclusion as unfair

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    The High Street shops taking payments for people smugglers: Moment UK phone store worker offers to take ‘£3k in cash’ for a small boat migrant crossing

    Ghanaian swimmer Jacob Kaleem marks return with personal best split

    £10k-a-year prep school threatens to name and shame parents parking ‘illegally and dangerously’ if residents send photographic evidence

    Most Popular

    Lyrical Joe Drops New Single “Julie” Featuring BeezTrap KOTM – A Perfect Blend of Trap Music and Rap Music

    November 15, 20240 Views

    The North Pole is moving towards Russia: Experts are baffled by meandering magnetic north that could play havoc with your smartphone

    November 16, 20240 Views

    Urgent health warning is issued over fears Aussies have been exposed to measles in Sydney

    November 16, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.