BBC Radio Scotland presenter Kenny Macintyre candidly revealed he has prostate cancer while live on air.

The 57-year-old broadcaster announced the news while appearing on Saturday afternoon show, Off The Ball, alongside Tam Cowan and Stuart Cosgrove.

Kenny, from Dunblane, explained that three of his uncles had the disease leading him to push for regular, three-monthly tests. 

His diagnosis comes as NHS advisors pushed back on implementing a widespread prostate cancer screening programme.

The UK’s National Screening Committee recommended on Thursday that only men with particular genetic mutations, which raise their odds of developing tumours, should be screened regularly for the disease.

This was despite a major study last month which found screening men for prostate cancer slashes their risk of dying from the disease by 13 per cent, with one such death prevented for every 456 men checked – a figure that is comparable to existing breast and bowel cancer screening programmes.

The draft guidance from the committee was formally published on Friday and will then be subject to a 12-week public consultation.

Prostate cancer is now the most common cancer in the UK, with 63,000 cases and 12,000 deaths each year – but unlike breast, bowel and lung cancer, there is currently no national screening programme.

BBC Radio Scotland presenter Kenny Macintyre revealed he has prostate cancer while on air

Kenny, from Dunblane, explained that three of his uncles had the disease leading him to push for regular, three-monthly tests. Pictured: The NHS currently uses PSA (prostate specific antigen) blood testing and MRI scans to check for the disease (file image) 

The Daily Mail is campaigning to end needless prostate deaths

Speaking on Off The Ball, Kenny urged men aged over 50 and who have a family occurrence of prostate cancer to push for PSA testing – a blood test that can measure the amount of a protein called prostate-specific antigen (PSA), which is produced by the prostate gland.

Kenny himself was diagnosed after it was noted he had rising PSA levels, with an MRI scan and biopsy later confirming he had cancer.

He told the BBC show: ‘Obviously it’s not the news anyone wants to be told but I am very lucky to have caught this early, and I believe that is only because I pushed for regular testing. 

‘I had absolutely no symptoms and all examinations indicated things were normal. 

‘Had it not been for the regular checks, which revealed the rising trend in my PSA levels, things may be very different.’

Kenny added that he is now considering his treatment options for the disease. 

Hayley Valentine, director of BBC Scotland said in a statement that ‘Kenny has the full support of BBC Scotland’ and ‘applauded’ him for sharing the news with listeners in the hope it would encourage other men to go for testing. 

The Daily Mail is among those campaigning to end needless prostate cancer deaths and for a national prostate cancer screening programme, initially targeted at high risk men, such as those who are black, have a family history of the disease or particular genetic mutations. 

Ex-prime minister David Cameron backed screening after revealing he had prostate cancer

Sir Chris Hoy has called for systemic change in the ways men get tested for prostate cancer after being diagnosed himself

Following this week’s recommendations from UKNSC, Health Secretary Wes Streeting said he would examine the arguments ‘thoroughly’. 

Mr Streeting said: ‘I have always said I want to see screening in place for the most common cancer in men, provided this is backed by evidence.

‘I want to change the NHS so it diagnoses earlier and treats faster. That aim will be balanced against the harms that wider screening could cause to men.

‘I will examine the evidence and arguments in this draft recommendation thoroughly, bringing together those with differing views, ahead of the final recommendation in March.’

Former prime minister David Cameron, who revealed his prostate cancer diagnosis earlier this week, urged Mr Streeting to ‘be brave and bold’ on screening.

Writing on X, he said: ‘Make the first step more significant than what’s being recommended. Put in place a proper, targeted screening programme that involves all those at higher-risk.

‘Without it, more men will die, more families will lose a loved one. This is avoidable and can be done.’

Comedian Sir Stephen Fry, who revealed in 2018 he had undergone surgery after being diagnosed with prostate cancer, said: ‘Men in the UK deserve so much better. I hope the country sees sense.’ 

Sky News anchor Dermot Murnaghan, 67, who has incurable stage four prostate cancer

Comedian Sir Stephen Fry, a prostate cancer survivor who is backing widespread screening

Sky News anchor Dermot Murnaghan, 67, who has incurable stage four prostate cancer, said: ‘I really thought we were heading to an exciting moment here.

‘I’m so disappointed that the committee has decided not to recommend screening – it felt about time progress was made for men.

‘Despite this moment not being what we’d hoped, I will keep fighting until we start to turn the tide on prostate cancer.’

Sir Chris Hoy, who revealed last year his prostate cancer had spread to his bones and doctors gave him between two and four years to live, said he is ‘disappointed and saddened’ by the recommendation to limit prostate cancer screening.

The six-time Olympic cycling gold medallist also said introducing regular checks for men with a higher genetic risk of the disease ‘is a very small step forward’ but ‘not enough’.

‘I am determined to continue to use my platform to raise awareness, encourage open discussion, raise vital funds for further research and support, and to campaign for change.’

Laura Kerby, chief executive of Prostate Cancer UK, said: ‘The committee’s decision will come as a blow to the tens of thousands of men, loved ones and families who’ve fought for a screening programme.

‘Today we’re deeply disappointed, but as determined as ever, and it won’t slow us down. People are sick and tired of seeing the men they love harmed by this disease, and we won’t rest until no man’s diagnosis is left to chance.

‘We know that a mass screening programme could save thousands of men’s lives.

‘While screening men with BRCA gene variations will save only a fraction of that, the committee’s decision is the first time they’ve recommended screening of any kind for prostate cancer.

‘It shows that research and evidence can shift the dial and save men’s lives.’



Source link

Share.
Exit mobile version