Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    MPs consider trade envoys inquiry after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest over misconduct in a public office

    Sadio Mané opens football institute in Bourges

    20 American students in Ghana for 10-day educational and cultural expedition

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Aussie politician’s BBQ explodes in his face leaving him virtually unrecognisable
    International

    Aussie politician’s BBQ explodes in his face leaving him virtually unrecognisable

    Papa LincBy Papa LincJanuary 29, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read6 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Aussie politician’s BBQ explodes in his face leaving him virtually unrecognisable
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    A former top minister has issued a warning about gas barbeques after suffering horrific burns to his face in a backyard incident. 

    David Elliot – who was the NSW transport and police ministers in the last Coalition government – was trying to start his gas barbeque about this time last year when he burned his face. 

    Mr Elliot told Radio 2GB host Ben Fordham on Wednesday that he was just trying to figure out how to turn the BBQ on when he suffered the agonising injury. 

    ‘I bought a new barbeque and had it connected to the main. But you just have to be so, so careful,’ Mr Elliot said. 

    ‘I still don’t know when I ignited it if there was still residual gas from the connection not being tight or whether it wasn’t turned off completely and properly.

    ‘You should always open the lid and walk away for about half a minute and let any residual gas go away. I didn’t do that. I went straight in. 

    ‘It was very much a case of one flash and you’re ash’. 

    Aussie politician’s BBQ explodes in his face leaving him virtually unrecognisable

    Former NSW police minister and transport minister David Elliot has revealed he suffered severe burns to his face after he tried to start his backyard gas barbeque

    Mr Elliot described the accident as ‘very traumatic’.

    ‘[The pain] was really stingy at the beginning… and then with a lot of these burns the skin just started to peel off,’ Mr Elliot said. 

    The former politician added he was ‘lucky’ he did not suffer any irreversible damage as his wife, Nicole, immediately administered first aid treatment after he was burned.

    ‘Luckily, Nicole put me straight under cool water which I think mitigated some of it. The first 24 hours it looked terrible and it was very uncomfortable.,’ Mr Elliot said. 

    ‘It’s quite amazing I didn’t lose sight in my eyes. 

    ‘The good news is it didn’t affect my modelling career.’

    He added that he felt like a ‘fool’ as he often warned Aussies ahead of the festive season to be careful when starting their gas barbeques.

    ‘I felt like a fool because I spent five years as emergency services minister starting every summer telling people to be careful around their gas barbeques,’ Mr Elliot said.

    ‘And I did exactly what (former RFS Commissioner) Shane Fitzsimmons and (Fire and Rescue Commissioner) Paul Baxter told me not to do.’

    Mr Elliot described the ordeal as 'traumatic' and claimed he was very 'lucky' he did not suffer any irreversible damage

    Mr Elliot described the ordeal as ‘traumatic’ and claimed he was very ‘lucky’ he did not suffer any irreversible damage

    The former politician warned Aussies to be careful when starting their gas barbeques (stock image)

    The former politician warned Aussies to be careful when starting their gas barbeques (stock image)

    Mr Elliot warned men, in particular, to be careful when starting their barbeques or when doing things around the home. 

    ‘The home is the most dangerous place for a middle aged man because we think we can do things that we can’t,’ Mr Elliot said.  

    ‘We go up step ladders without people holding them, we connect barbecues which should have been done by professionals. We think we know everything.’

    Mr Elliot’s warning comes after a family in Lismore lost their home to a gas bottle fire on Australia Day. 

    Daniel and Gemma O’Brien were enjoying a night off from their five children when they woke to the sound of hissing. 

    The pair found the noise was coming from the barbeque area and the gas bottle was in flames. 

    The O’Briens immediately fled the property before the blaze engulfed the entire home.  

    Emergency services were called to the home on Bellevue Avenue at 7am on Sunday and found the home completely up in flames.

    Multiple fire crews worked for hours to extinguish the fire but the family home and their car was destroyed. 

    The NSW Fire and Rescue Service said LPG cylinders are safe when used correctly but warned the bottles can be 'extremely dangerous' if stored or used incorrectly

    The NSW Fire and Rescue Service said LPG cylinders are safe when used correctly but warned the bottles can be ‘extremely dangerous’ if stored or used incorrectly

    Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson and his wife Sandra were also injured in a backyard barbeque accident in October last year.

    It’s understood the pair were cooking dinner at a property at Dalswinton, near Denman in the NSW Hunter Valley when their gas bottle exploded. 

    The couple suffered severe burns to their arms and were doused in cold water before being airlifted to John hunter Hospital for further treatment. 

    The NSW Fire and Rescue Service said LPG cylinders are safe when used correctly but warned the bottles when stored or used incorrectly were ‘extremely dangerous’.

    ‘Do not connect or disconnect cylinders in the vicinity of a naked flame, do not use LPG in windy conditions (more than 10km/h),’ NSW Fire and Rescue Services website reads. 

    ‘Do not use undue force to open or close the main cylinder valve. If in doubt, consult the supplier. 

    ‘Shut off the cylinder valve before disconnecting the bottle from the barbecue. 

    ‘Always keep cool and away from flames, sparks and heat. When operating your gas bottle, always read the manufacturer’s operating instructions.’



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleJoseph Attamah Larweh sees red in Kayserispor’s big defeat to Sivasspor
    Next Article Gov’t will cater for mental health needs of soldiers, veterans
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    MPs consider trade envoys inquiry after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest over misconduct in a public office

    February 21, 2026

    ‘We’re no Jew hunters!’: Activists say they weren’t intimidating people who refuse to join Israel boycott and were just handing out leaflets instead

    February 21, 2026

    Wuthering fights: influencers encourage hordes of tourists to descend on quaint Yorkshire village home of the Bronte sisters amid hype around new Wuthering Heights movie – leaving locals struggling to cope

    February 21, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025121 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 202556 Views

    Night Of The Samurai Grand Arrivals Gallery » December 23, 2025

    December 24, 202554 Views

    Here’s why Ghana Airways collapsed in 2004

    November 5, 202454 Views
    Don't Miss
    International February 21, 2026

    MPs consider trade envoys inquiry after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest over misconduct in a public office

    A group of MPs are considering launching a parliamentary probe into the role of UK…

    Sadio Mané opens football institute in Bourges

    20 American students in Ghana for 10-day educational and cultural expedition

    Watch how Black Stars survived brutal Dr Congo onslaught to reach 1996 AFCON semis

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    MPs consider trade envoys inquiry after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest over misconduct in a public office

    Sadio Mané opens football institute in Bourges

    20 American students in Ghana for 10-day educational and cultural expedition

    Most Popular

    OK Frimpong reveals why he ‘singlehandedly’ sponsored Medikal’s O2 Ingido (London) occasion

    October 18, 20240 Views

    Seven dead after ferry dock gangway collapses on Georgia’s Sapelo Island

    October 20, 20240 Views

    WAEC releases 2024 BECE results; cancels entire results of 41 candidates

    October 20, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.