Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Eight skiers dead and one still unaccounted for after avalanche swept them away on California mountain

    Drug abuse among youth alarming- Stephen Amoah warns

    Passionate fans influenced my move to NAC Breda

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»Sports»African football chief ‘occupying seat illegally’ and must go
    Sports

    African football chief ‘occupying seat illegally’ and must go

    Papa LincBy Papa LincFebruary 18, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read1 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    African football chief ‘occupying seat illegally’ and must go
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    Véron Mosengo-Omba became the CAF General Secretary in 2021 Véron Mosengo-Omba became the CAF General Secretary in 2021

    A member of the Confederation of African football’s executive committee has said the general secretary, Véron Mosengo-Omba, is “occupying the seat illegally” and must be made to stand down.

    Samir Sobha, the president of the Mauritius Football Association, said he would not accept Mosengo-Omba’s presence at Caf meetings because the 66-year-old Swiss-Congolese lawyer no longer holds the position legitimately.

    Under regulation 130 of Caf’s employment handbook, 63 is the compulsory retirement age for staff. At the discretion of the president or the general secretary, a single three-year extension can be given under the regulations.

    ‘He called Vinícius a monkey’ – Mbappé alleges racist remark by Benfica’s Prestianni

    Mosengo-Omba became the general secretary in March 2021, at the age of 61, and was 63 on October 15, 2022. He was given a three-year extension by CAF’s president, Patrice Motsepe, which ran out on October 15, 2025.

    “As per the statutes, he is occupying the seat illegally right now. I don’t think that the SG is in any legal position to make decisions, to sign a document … I’m pleading with the president to rectify this position … We need to respect the statutes … When it comes to this issue, I think that it is clear.

    “This decision [that Mosengo-Omba must vacate his position] needs to be taken, to make sure that we can get, very soon, a full-fledged and legitimate general secretary. Right now, most FA presidents in Africa agree that Mr Mosengo is out of mandate,” Sobha said.

    When Motsepe was questioned about Mosengo-Omba after last Friday’s executive committee meeting in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, the South African billionaire said: “Retirement is governed by our rules and regulations. We deal with those things not just in accordance with legality, but also with governance. We will take the best decision as Caf, concerning employees.”

    Sobha said: “Patrice Motsepe is a very good person; that’s my personal opinion. But it happens that things are not going in the right direction. Some issues need to be fixed.”

    Mosengo-Omba was absent from last Friday’s meeting because of an urgent family matter in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. “Had he been there, I would have voiced it out, to let everyone know, including the president, that I don’t agree that Mr Mosengo should be sitting there,” the Mauritian said.

    Sobha, re-elected to the CAF Exco in March 2025, also apologised to Morocco for “a great injustice that has been done to the people of Morocco and their national team” in last month’s Africa Cup of Nations final in Rabat. Morocco lost 1-0 after a disputed penalty prompted Senegal to abandon the field, before play resumed 15 minutes later.

    “I want to plead with the Moroccan FA to forgive us for the injustice done to them … The rules have not been respected, as they should have been in this match … They were robbed. It’s clear that after the Senegalese team left the field, all the players should have been sanctioned with a yellow card.

    “I’m not saying we should not give the trophy to the Senegalese team. What has happened has happened already. We can’t change it … But we should put our ego aside and agree that an injustice has been done to the Moroccan national team. Having gone through the competition rules, I’m sure my position is right,” Sobha said.

    Meanwhile, watch GhanaWeb’s exposé on the ‘dark side of Kayamata’ and its devastating impact



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleWe showed ‘seniority and common sense’ in dispute with Medikal
    Next Article President Mahama visits two survivors of Burkina Faso terror attack
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Passionate fans influenced my move to NAC Breda

    February 18, 2026

    How football’s anti-racism measures applied to Vinicius Jr

    February 18, 2026

    Hamza Issah still under contract

    February 18, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025121 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 202555 Views

    Night Of The Samurai Grand Arrivals Gallery » December 23, 2025

    December 24, 202554 Views

    Here’s why Ghana Airways collapsed in 2004

    November 5, 202454 Views
    Don't Miss
    International February 18, 2026

    Eight skiers dead and one still unaccounted for after avalanche swept them away on California mountain

    By NATASHA ANDERSON, US SENIOR NEWS REPORTER Published: 14:14 EST, 18 February 2026 | Updated:…

    Drug abuse among youth alarming- Stephen Amoah warns

    Passionate fans influenced my move to NAC Breda

    I would love to see Black Sherif bigger and better at age 45

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Eight skiers dead and one still unaccounted for after avalanche swept them away on California mountain

    Drug abuse among youth alarming- Stephen Amoah warns

    Passionate fans influenced my move to NAC Breda

    Most Popular

    OK Frimpong reveals why he ‘singlehandedly’ sponsored Medikal’s O2 Ingido (London) occasion

    October 18, 20240 Views

    Seven dead after ferry dock gangway collapses on Georgia’s Sapelo Island

    October 20, 20240 Views

    WAEC releases 2024 BECE results; cancels entire results of 41 candidates

    October 20, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.