Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    BoG seals capacity-building agreement with Liberian counterpart

    MPs consider trade envoys inquiry after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest over misconduct in a public office

    Sadio Mané opens football institute in Bourges

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Police re-open probe into death of florist almost 40 YEARS after killer dubbed ‘The Wolfman’ was locked up for her brutal crowbar murder
    International

    Police re-open probe into death of florist almost 40 YEARS after killer dubbed ‘The Wolfman’ was locked up for her brutal crowbar murder

    Papa LincBy Papa LincNovember 14, 2024No Comments4 Mins Read2 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Police re-open probe into death of florist almost 40 YEARS after killer dubbed ‘The Wolfman’ was locked up for her brutal crowbar murder
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    A convicted murderer known as ‘The Wolfman’ who has served nearly 40 years in prison after a bride-to-be was beaten to death when she ran out of petrol has had his conviction referred to the Court of Appeal.

    Diane Sindall, 21, was killed with a crowbar in August 1986 after she left her part-time job as a barmaid in Bebington, Merseyside.

    Peter Sullivan was convicted of her murder the following year following one of the biggest man hunts the area has ever seen.

    The florist’s injuries were so horrific they were never revealed by the police – but he gained his horrific nickname after he was convicted through bite marks found on her body that matched his dental records. 

    The unemployed-father-of-one had spent the day drinking heavily after losing a darts match at the Crown Hotel, before a chance encounter with Ms Sindall as she walked to a petrol station when her blue Fiat van ran out of petrol, the Liverpool Echo reports.

    On Wednesday, the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC) said that Sullivan’s conviction had been referred to the Court of Appeal on the basis of DNA evidence.

    Police re-open probe into death of florist almost 40 YEARS after killer dubbed ‘The Wolfman’ was locked up for her brutal crowbar murder

    Diane Sindall, 21, was killed with a crowbar in August 1986 after she left her part-time job as a barmaid in Bebington, Merseyside

    Peter Sullivan was convicted of her murder the following year following one of the biggest man hunts the area has ever seen

    Peter Sullivan was convicted of her murder the following year following one of the biggest man hunts the area has ever seen

    In a statement the CCRC told The Mirror: ‘Mr Sullivan applied to the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC) in March 2021 raising concerns about his interviews by the police, bitemark evidence presented in his trial, and what was said to be the murder weapon. 

    ‘After consulting experts, the CCRC obtained DNA information from samples taken at the time of the offence. 

    ‘As a result, a DNA profile was obtained which did not match Mr Sullivan. The CCRC has now sent Mr Sullivan’s conviction back to the courts.’ 

    Samples taken at the time of the murder were re-examined and a DNA profile that did not match Sullivan was found, the commission said.

    Sullivan applied to the body to have his case re-examined in 2021, raising concerns about police interviews, bite mark evidence and the murder weapon.

    He claimed he had not been provided with an appropriate adult during interviews.

    The CCRC added that there was evidence suggesting there were breaches in the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 over police interviews, as he was not given an appropriate adult and was initially denied legal representation.

    Sullivan had previously applied to the CCRC in 2008 raising questions about DNA evidence, but forensic experts said that further testing was unlikely to reveal a DNA profile.

    He applied to the High Court for permission to appeal against his conviction in 2019 over bite mark evidence, but this was rejected by the Court of Appeal in 2021.

    At the time of his trial, a scientist specialising in teeth told the jury that his teeth marks were as unique as a finger print.

    In September 1987, the Liverpool Echo reported Prosecutor Mr Andrew Rankin QC said: ‘The defendant caused those bite marks -he murdered Diane Sindall beyond argument. That is how important the evidence of bite marks is.

    The unemployed-father-of-one had spent the day drinking heavily after losing a darts match at the Crown Hotel (pictured) before a chance encounter with Ms Sindall as she walked to a petrol station when her blue Fiat van ran out of petrol, the Liverpool Echo reports

    The unemployed-father-of-one had spent the day drinking heavily after losing a darts match at the Crown Hotel (pictured) before a chance encounter with Ms Sindall as she walked to a petrol station when her blue Fiat van ran out of petrol, the Liverpool Echo reports

    ‘This is the critical part of the case – so critical that, in my submission, you can forget the rest of the case.’

    He told Liverpool Crown Court that Sullivan had teeth which matched all the features found on Ms Sindall’s right breast.

    Sullivan had a history of petty convictions and confessed, before retracting his plea. He was convicted in November 1987.

    Horrific descriptions of the girl’s injuries were described to the court, where her face, head and body had been left with multiple fractures from the crowbar.

    Her clothes had been pulled around hger nexk and her jeans, shoes, underwear and handbag were missing.

    Fibres found on her were later matched to Sullivan’s socks and a sofa at his council home. 

    She was attacked on her way home to her boyfriend, who she had dated since she was 16 years old. 

    ‘The severity of the injuries left little doubt that Diane would have died very quickly once the blows rained down, but she was then dragged backwards and stripped almost naked,’ the pathologist who carried out Ms Sindall’s post-mortem told the court, The Sun reports.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleMike Tyson, Jake Paul Open Workouts » November 13, 2024
    Next Article The Western Region’s poor road nearly stopped CNN reporters working on the “Galamsey” report.
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    MPs consider trade envoys inquiry after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest over misconduct in a public office

    February 21, 2026

    ‘We’re no Jew hunters!’: Activists say they weren’t intimidating people who refuse to join Israel boycott and were just handing out leaflets instead

    February 21, 2026

    Wuthering fights: influencers encourage hordes of tourists to descend on quaint Yorkshire village home of the Bronte sisters amid hype around new Wuthering Heights movie – leaving locals struggling to cope

    February 21, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025121 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 202556 Views

    Night Of The Samurai Grand Arrivals Gallery » December 23, 2025

    December 24, 202554 Views

    Here’s why Ghana Airways collapsed in 2004

    November 5, 202454 Views
    Don't Miss
    News February 21, 2026

    BoG seals capacity-building agreement with Liberian counterpart

    Matilda Asante-Asiedu is the Second Deputy Governor for the Bank of Ghana The Bank of…

    MPs consider trade envoys inquiry after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest over misconduct in a public office

    Sadio Mané opens football institute in Bourges

    20 American students in Ghana for 10-day educational and cultural expedition

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    BoG seals capacity-building agreement with Liberian counterpart

    MPs consider trade envoys inquiry after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest over misconduct in a public office

    Sadio Mané opens football institute in Bourges

    Most Popular

    OK Frimpong reveals why he ‘singlehandedly’ sponsored Medikal’s O2 Ingido (London) occasion

    October 18, 20240 Views

    Seven dead after ferry dock gangway collapses on Georgia’s Sapelo Island

    October 20, 20240 Views

    WAEC releases 2024 BECE results; cancels entire results of 41 candidates

    October 20, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.