Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    55-year-old woman gives birth to triplets at Brofoyedru

    What to know about the Freedom 250 Grand Prix, Trump’s capital car race | Donald Trump News

    Patient safety tsar says health boards are more concerned about image amid claims of cover-ups

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»Africa News»What to know about the Freedom 250 Grand Prix, Trump’s capital car race | Donald Trump News
    Africa News

    What to know about the Freedom 250 Grand Prix, Trump’s capital car race | Donald Trump News

    Papa LincBy Papa LincAugust 21, 2026No Comments7 Mins Read2 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    What to know about the Freedom 250 Grand Prix, Trump’s capital car race | Donald Trump News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    Washington, DC – Over the next two days, a portion of the United States capital will transform into a seven-turn professional-grade track for the city’s first-ever IndyCar race.

    The Freedom 250 Grand Prix, championed by President Donald Trump, is one of several special events held to commemorate the country’s 250th birthday.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 3 itemsend of list

    But the race, which has been billed as a means of “celebrating American greatness”, is not coming without a heavy dose of criticism.

    Questions have been raised about potential disruptions to life in the capital, as well as Trump’s ties to the event’s sponsor, the transportation company Penske.

    Here’s what you need to know about the weekend’s automobile tournament:

    President Donald Trump speaks on West Executive Drive at the White House during a showcase for the upcoming Freedom 250 Grand Prix auto race, Monday, July 13, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
    President Donald Trump speaks at the White House during a showcase for the Freedom 250 Grand Prix auto race in Washington, DC [File: Alex Brandon/AP]

    Why is this taking place?

    In January, Trump signed an executive order establishing the race as a means of celebrating the country’s 250th anniversary and its history of motorsport.

    “This will be like no other race ever,” Trump said in July. “It’ll be one of the most unforgettable racing events the world has ever seen.”

    Trump, who has described himself as a racing fan, has participated in several high-profile motorsport events since returning to office in 2025.

    Last year, Trump attended NASCAR’s Daytona 500 race, after serving as the grand marshal during his first term. A few months later, in April 2025, he hosted NASCAR and IndyCar drivers at the White House.

    Have similar events been held?

    The Grand Prix is one of several sporting events being held in honour of the country’s 250th anniversary.

    Earlier this month, as part of the festivities, high-school athletes were invited to participate in the inaugural Patriot Games, broadcast on the sport channel ESPN. And in June, Trump hosted an Ultimate Fighting Championship event on the White House lawn, dubbed the UFC Freedom 250.

    But members of the Trump administration have compared the race to early moments in US history as a means of highlighting its historic nature.

    Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said Washington, DC, has not seen a competition like this since Thomas Jefferson, the third US president, helped mark the country’s 25th birthday in 1801 with horse races.

    Is the IndyCar race part of Freedom 250?

    Not officially. While the Grand Prix bears similar branding to Trump’s Freedom 250 initiative, they are separate entities.

    Trump’s Freedom 250 task force was a public-private partnership that put together events like the Patriot Games and the Great American State Fair, which took place in June on the National Mall.

    But critics argued that the task force undermined America250, a separate bipartisan organisation created by the US Congress to arrange festivities for the anniversary. There was also a backlash to the perception that Freedom 250 would be a vehicle for Trump’s political agenda.

    The Grand Prix, meanwhile, is being “administered by INDYCAR in coordination with the America 250 Task Force”, according to the District of Columbia government website. IndyCar is a subsidiary of Penske.

    epa13176213 Protective panels surround a sculpture outside the National Gallery of Art on Constitution Avenue ahead of the Freedom 250 Grand Prix in Washington DC, USA, 17 August 2026. The race, the first IndyCar event to take place near the National Mall, is scheduled for 22-23 August. EPA/JIM LO SCALZO
    Protective panels surround a sculpture outside the National Gallery of Art ahead of the Freedom 250 Grand Prix in Washington, DC, on Monday [Jim Lo Scalzo/EPA]

    What response has the race received?

    The race is arguably the most ambitious of all the events Trump has hosted for America’s 250th celebration. It has also drawn concern from preservation experts.

    A temporary track for the race will run 2.7 kilometres, or 1.7 miles, including through the National Mall. Part of the race will therefore take place near several buildings that contain priceless historical works and documents.

    Immediately adjacent to the motor speedway will be the National Gallery of Art, featuring paintings spanning the history of Western civilisation, and the National Archives, which includes the original Declaration of Independence and US Constitution.

    With race cars set to pass by at speeds nearing 321km/h (200mph), the National Gallery has boarded up some windows on its building and put barriers around several of its outdoor works.

    A preservationist group has also warned that historic New Deal-era murals in the nearby Cohen Federal Building could be damaged “due to vibratory impacts”.

    A Freedom 250 Grand Prix spokesperson told The Associated Press (AP) news agency that IndyCar has “tremendous respect for the history and the structures” surrounding the track.

    But the race’s impacts are being felt by Washington’s residents and travellers as well.

    In the days leading up to the race, commuters were plagued by hours-long congestion caused by the closure of some of the city’s popular thoroughfares as organisers prepared for the event.

    The Federal Aviation Administration also announced that flights at the nearby Ronald Reagan Washington national airport will be paused for three hours on Sunday so flyovers associated with the event can take place.

    Workers continue setting up ahead of the Freedom 250 Grand Prix on the National Mall in Washington, DC, on August 19, 2026.
    Workers set up barriers ahead of the Freedom 250 Grand Prix on the National Mall in Washington, DC, on Wednesday [AFP]

    Who’s paying for this?

    With an expected price tag of $35m, the 147-lap race will be among the most expensive on IndyCar’s calendar.

    Bud Denker, the president of Penske Corporation and chairman of the race, told AP his company will pay for the “vast majority” of the event, while the city will cover some “very limited” costs to repave streets and seal manhole covers.

    A spokesperson for Washington, DC’s transportation department, German Vigil, told Al Jazeera the city “will be getting reimbursed” by the Grand Prix for those repairs.

    The Freedom 250 Grand Prix website explains that the event is supported “by a group of key partners”, including Harbinger, a production company with ties to at least one previous Trump-hosted event.

    CNN previously reported that the firm was hired to solicit corporate sponsors for the 2025 White House Easter Egg Roll.

    The race’s website identifies Harbinger as an “official event partner” that will “coordinate logistics and the fan experience” for the Grand Prix. A spokesperson for Harbinger told Al Jazeera it was only handling “production”.

    Several of the race’s sponsors have government contracts, including the aerospace firm Boeing and the telecommunications firm Verizon.

    One, the building manufacturer WillScot, was in discussion with the second Trump administration about leasing mobile structures to house detainees slated for deportation, according to the publication Semafor.

    Another, the aircraft company Gulfstream, was the recipient of nearly $200m in a controversial deal Trump’s Department of Homeland Security undertook to buy luxury jets for executive travel.

    WillScot and Gulfstream did not return Al Jazeera’s request for comment.

    WASHINGTON, DC - AUGUST 20: CEO of Fox Sports Eric Shanks speaks with U.S. Secretary of Transportation Sean Duffy on the Freedom 250 Grand Prix track outside of the National Gallery of Art on August 20, 2026 in Washington, DC. Final preparations continue for the inaugural Freedom 250 Grand Prix, a two-day NTT IndyCar Series street race on August 22 and 23 past National Mall landmarks to celebrate America's 250th anniversary. Finn Gomez/Getty Images/AFP (Photo by Finn Gomez / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / Getty Images via AFP)
    Fox Sports CEO Eric Shanks speaks with US Secretary of Transportation Sean Duffy on the Freedom 250 Grand Prix track in Washington, DC, on Thursday [Finn Gomez/Getty Images via AFP]

    How much does it cost to attend?

    A reported 100,000 general admission tickets have already been given away for free, while premium viewing of the race comes at a steep price.

    Tickets for the Champions Club, which offers views of the racetrack, cost $5,000 per person, while luxury suites are priced upwards of $250,000.

    Will Trump attend?

    Media reports have indicated that Trump himself is likely to attend the event.

    The New York Post reported that the president may take a lap on Sunday around the track in his motorcade, to kick off the last day of the race.

    But Trump’s involvement raises concerns, including from IndyCar drivers, that the event could be politicised. McLaren Racing’s Pato O’Ward, IndyCar’s only full-time racer from Mexico, has said it would be “ironic” if he won, given the president’s aggressive political stance towards immigration and Mexico itself.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticlePatient safety tsar says health boards are more concerned about image amid claims of cover-ups
    Next Article 55-year-old woman gives birth to triplets at Brofoyedru
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Argentina’s Paredes gets 10-game ban for World Cup final scuffle with Spain | World Cup News

    August 21, 2026

    Djibouti Football Federation accused of misusing funds from FIFA | Football News

    August 21, 2026

    Ebola outbreak ‘growing faster, ⁠⁠wider’ as DRC death toll passes 2,500: UN | Ebola News

    August 21, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025148 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025115 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202679 Views
    Don't Miss
    News August 21, 2026

    55-year-old woman gives birth to triplets at Brofoyedru

    What medical experts describe as extremely rare and biologically uncommon has occurred in the Ashanti…

    What to know about the Freedom 250 Grand Prix, Trump’s capital car race | Donald Trump News

    Patient safety tsar says health boards are more concerned about image amid claims of cover-ups

    Paintsil’s goal lifts Galaxy over Earthquakes

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    55-year-old woman gives birth to triplets at Brofoyedru

    What to know about the Freedom 250 Grand Prix, Trump’s capital car race | Donald Trump News

    Patient safety tsar says health boards are more concerned about image amid claims of cover-ups

    Most Popular

    I got intimate with 2500 women in 2019 alone – Oboy Siki brags

    November 26, 20240 Views

    Dreams FC assistant coach urges players to improve after tough start to the season

    November 28, 20240 Views

    Kwaysi collaborates with DJ Boat for Christmas anthem

    November 29, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.