Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Child dies and woman is injured after fire erupts at Lake Macquarie home

    Türkiye’s exports to Africa rise 12.6% to $13.3bn in seven months

    Are Hormuz ships more willing to defy Iran or the US? What the data shows | US-Israel war on Iran News

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»Politics»Minority replies Sammy Gyamfi, demands accountability over GH¢22bn GoldBod loss
    Politics

    Minority replies Sammy Gyamfi, demands accountability over GH¢22bn GoldBod loss

    Papa LincBy Papa LincAugust 20, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read1 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Minority replies Sammy Gyamfi, demands accountability over GH¢22bn GoldBod loss
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    The Minority in Parliament has renewed its call for accountability over a reported GH¢22 billion loss under the Domestic Gold Purchase Programme (DGPP) in 2025.

    The Minority Leader, Alexander Afenyo-Markin, made the call in a statement issued on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, in response to comments by the Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Gold Board (GoldBod), Sammy Gyamfi.

    The Minority said the GoldBod’s response to its earlier concerns did not disprove the reported loss but instead confirmed some of the figures it had raised.

    According to Mr Afenyo-Markin, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) reported a loss of US$1.7 billion, equivalent to about GH¢22 billion, under the DGPP in its August 2026 Sixth Country Report.

    He argued that regardless of which government institution bears responsibility for the loss, the money involved was public funds and must be accounted for.

    The Minority also questioned GoldBod’s reported operational surplus of GH¢907 million.

    It noted that, according to the GoldBod CEO, the institution accounted for about GH¢133 billion in advances under the programme in 2025 and received an assay fee of 0.258 per cent and a service fee of 0.5 per cent.

    Mr Afenyo-Markin argued that these fees generated about GH¢1 billion for GoldBod.

    He therefore questioned how the institution could describe its GH¢907 million operational surplus as a major achievement when the programme under which the fees were earned reportedly resulted in a GH¢22 billion loss to the state.

    The Minority Leader further argued that GoldBod could not claim credit for the benefits of the DGPP while distancing itself from the reported financial losses.

    He noted that GoldBod had been associated with claims that the programme contributed to a 41 per cent appreciation of the cedi, an increase in Ghana’s reserves from US$8.9 billion to US$13 billion and a reduction in inflation.

    According to him, an institution that takes credit for such outcomes must also be prepared to account for the costs associated with the programme.

    The Minority also raised concerns about the funding arrangements for the Gold for Reserves and related programmes.

    It said, based on the GoldBod CEO’s account, responsibility for the implementation cost of the Ghana Alternative Reserves and Assets Programme (GANRAP) shifted from the Bank of Ghana to the Ministry of Finance in July 2026, while GoldBod was seeking to raise funds independently from August.

    Mr Afenyo-Markin described the changes as evidence that the funding model was yet to be settled.

    He therefore called for the reported GH¢22 billion loss to be properly accounted for, insisting that the matter concerned the finances of the Republic.

    The Minority Leader also criticised comments attributed to the GoldBod CEO during his response, particularly a reference to a brothel.

    He argued that such language was inappropriate for a public official responding to questions about the management of public funds.

    “Ghanaians asked for figures. They were given insults. The figures are still outstanding,” Mr Afenyo-Markin stated.

    The Minority said it would continue to demand answers on the financial and operational performance of GoldBod and the Domestic Gold Purchase Programme.

    By: Jacob Aggrey

    Follow our WhatsApp Channel now! https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbAjG7g3gvWajUAEX12Q



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleLiverpool’s Curtis Jones closes in on Inter Milan move – with midfielder set for medical today ahead of signing five-year deal: WINDOW WATCH
    Next Article Netanyahu warns Israel will not tolerate Turkish military presence in Syria | Recep Tayyip Erdogan
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Rent Control targets unregistered student hostels

    August 20, 2026

    VAST Ghana commends Parliament for passing Excise Tax Bill 2026

    August 20, 2026

    Six injured as Toyota Corolla plunges into Birim river

    August 20, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025147 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026126 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025114 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202678 Views
    Don't Miss
    International August 20, 2026

    Child dies and woman is injured after fire erupts at Lake Macquarie home

    By ASHLEY NICKEL, NEWS REPORTER, AUSTRALIA Published: 04:50 EDT, 20 August 2026 | Updated: 05:07…

    Türkiye’s exports to Africa rise 12.6% to $13.3bn in seven months

    Are Hormuz ships more willing to defy Iran or the US? What the data shows | US-Israel war on Iran News

    Rent Control targets unregistered student hostels

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Child dies and woman is injured after fire erupts at Lake Macquarie home

    Türkiye’s exports to Africa rise 12.6% to $13.3bn in seven months

    Are Hormuz ships more willing to defy Iran or the US? What the data shows | US-Israel war on Iran News

    Most Popular

    “Dad can’t wait to marry you off” – Bride’s father eagerly approves the couple’s union with a swift ‘Yes’ answer on their wedding day (WATCH)

    November 21, 20240 Views

    Ring camera captures young couple calmly coming and going after killing ‘grandfather’

    November 21, 20240 Views

    Alan Kyerematen says the NPP is a declining party and advises Ghanaians to look beyond it.

    November 23, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.