Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    ‘We are very excited by the 2027 AFCON qualifiers draw’

    “Even if you give me 1Billion naira I won’t do it” – Married woman tells man who asked her out

    Trump and Netanyahu clash in ‘dramatic’ secret phone call over striking Iran as failed plot to topple Tehran regime is exposed

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Work affair break-up ends in stalking charges for Melbourne IT specialist: Disturbing claims of hotel spy cameras, airport pounces and secret photos of her husband… before ‘terrifying’ alleged incident in office lift
    International

    Work affair break-up ends in stalking charges for Melbourne IT specialist: Disturbing claims of hotel spy cameras, airport pounces and secret photos of her husband… before ‘terrifying’ alleged incident in office lift

    Papa LincBy Papa LincMay 20, 2026No Comments9 Mins Read1 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Work affair break-up ends in stalking charges for Melbourne IT specialist: Disturbing claims of hotel spy cameras, airport pounces and secret photos of her husband… before ‘terrifying’ alleged incident in office lift
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    A Melbourne IT specialist who allegedly stalked a woman through multiple states remains behind bars as police fear for the safety of his suspected target.

    Karl Lawrence Mentzer, 39, allegedly unleashed an ‘extreme’ stalking campaign against a woman he had been having an affair with before she ended the relationship in January.

    The Melbourne Magistrates’ Court heard accusations that Mentzer pursued the Sydney woman between January 1 and May 9.

    Mentzer – charged with stalking, installing and using an optical device, and using a carriage service to harass – met the woman through their overlapping professions. 

    Melbourne Family Violence Unit Senior Constable Jason Randle detailed the allegations of Mentzer’s alleged offending to the court.

    He said Mentzer and the woman had been in a relationship between July 2024 and January this year which they were ‘keeping a secret’ because ‘they both had partners’.

    ‘He’s previously used violence against the victim,’ Senior Constable Randle alleged.

    Senior Constable Randle detailed an alleged incident in Queenstown, New Zealand, in November last year in which Mentzer caused the woman to fall unconscious. 

    Work affair break-up ends in stalking charges for Melbourne IT specialist: Disturbing claims of hotel spy cameras, airport pounces and secret photos of her husband… before ‘terrifying’ alleged incident in office lift

    Melbourne IT specialist Karl Lawrence Mentzer has been charged with stalking

    The court heard that a friend of the woman had only recently ‘warned her’ that Mentzer was ‘manipulating her’ and that she should leave him.

    The woman said she remembered nothing except waking up ‘confused’ in a New Zealand hospital.

    Mentzer flew to Sydney in January and allegedly went to a dog park near the woman’s house ‘where he knew she walked her dog and attempted to see her’, the court was told.

    In February, the woman had a pre-planned trip to Tasmania, which the court heard ‘Mentzer knew about’.

    She arrived at the Tasmanian airport to find Mentzer ‘waiting in the arrival lounge for her’.

    ‘I will ruin you, I will burn your life down,’ Mentzer allegedly said after approaching the woman at the airport.

    Mentzer also allegedly sent a drone up to keep the woman ‘under surveillance’ while she was in Tasmania. 

    On March 20, the woman spotted Mentzer allegedly taking photos of her as she entered a building in Melbourne.

    Mentzer allegedly installed a spy camera in a hallway at the QT Melbourne hotel

    Mentzer allegedly installed a spy camera in a hallway at the QT Melbourne hotel

    On April 3, the court heard that Mentzer travelled to Sydney again where he allegedly took a photo of the woman’s husband while he was in a park near their home.

    Mentzer then allegedly sent the photo to the woman.

    Senior Constable Randle claimed that Mentzer was ‘intimidating the victim and showing her that he was near her house’ and her ‘husband was under surveillance’.

    He went on to say that the woman had a pre-booked flight to Melbourne on April 15, which Mentzer was allegedly aware of.

    The woman told Mentzer she ‘did not want to see him’, but it is alleged that he was ‘waiting for her’ at the airport again.

    The woman allegedly had an hour-long phone call with Mentzer on May 3 in which she pleaded with him to leave her alone. 

    The woman told Mentzer she ‘feared him and his escalating behaviour’ and ‘did not wish to speak to him again’.

    Yet Mentzer allegedly continued to barrage her with messages begging to see her. 

    It is alleged that Mentzer (above) travelled to Sydney where he allegedly took a photo of the woman's husband while he was in a park near their home

    It is alleged that Mentzer (above) travelled to Sydney where he allegedly took a photo of the woman’s husband while he was in a park near their home

    ‘I feel it is safer if there is space between and distance between us and to break the cycle of hurt,’ she responded.

    The court heard that Mentzer went on to send the woman messages day and night on May 7.

    ‘I’ve been in meetings, I’m quite swamped today and I feel quite threatened and scared please stop messaging [and] audio-noting me,’ the woman texted Mentzer.

    Later in the evening, the woman discovered Mentzer’s alleged attempt to be put in the room next to hers when she checked into the QT Melbourne hotel.

    The hotel manager said Mentzer had allegedly ‘requested’ their rooms be side by side.

    Staff escorted the woman to a different room on a different floor, the court heard.

    Senior Constable Randle alleged that Mentzer installed a spy camera facing into the hotel hallway from his room in an ‘attempt to capture footage of the victim’.

    The woman wasn’t aware of the camera, but police allege they found footage of the hotel hallway on Mentzer’s phone.

    The woman met a friend at Holy Grail bar on Chapel Street in Windsor (above) for a drink on the evening of May 7

    The woman met a friend at Holy Grail bar on Chapel Street in Windsor (above) for a drink on the evening of May 7

    Mentzer also allegedly barraged the woman with eight phone calls, 31 audio notes and 30 text messages ‘throughout the night’.

    It is also alleged that investigators discovered photos of a police officer at the Melbourne East police station ‘writing notes’ and the QT hotel manager on Mentzer’s phone.

    The woman met a friend at Holy Grail bar on Chapel Street in Windsor for a drink on the evening of May 7.

    The two women took a photograph in the photo booth, which the friend later posted to Instagram.

    Mentzer allegedly called the woman frequently while she was at the bar and this was ‘observed’ by the friend.

    The court heard that, the following day, the woman spotted Mentzer outside her Melbourne CBD office building just after midday.

    The woman attempted to get into her building but Mentzer noticed her. 

    She managed to make it into a lift, but Mentzer allegedly put his hand in the doors to stop them from closing.

    The friend went to Jungle Boy bar in Windsor (above) later that night but got a shock when the bartender told her a 'male was frantically looking for her'

    The friend went to Jungle Boy bar in Windsor (above) later that night but got a shock when the bartender told her a ‘male was frantically looking for her’

    Mentzer allegedly yelled at the woman accusations that she was ‘financially crippling’ him and that he was ‘meeting lawyers and you won’t hear the last of me’.

    Senior Constable Randle told the court that the woman was ‘cowering in the back of the lift’ with her ‘hands up, terrified’ during Mentzer’s alleged tirade.

    The woman texted Mentzer soon after he allegedly left her in the lift: ‘I am terrified of you.’

    The woman then reported Mentzer to police, who said she appeared ‘visibly shaken’.

    She later shared the Holy Grail image her friend had posted on Instagram but this allegedly caused more problems.

    The friend went to Jungle Boy bar in Windsor later that night only to be told by the bartender that a ‘male was frantically looking for her’.

    The friend said she had no idea who would be looking for her but remembered Mentzer’s alleged prior behaviour.

    The friend showed a photo of Mentzer to the bartender who confirmed that he was the man looking for her.

    The bartender alleged that Mentzer had shown her an Instagram photo of the woman and her friend, and that he had been ‘frantically searching for the girls’ around different Chapel Street venues.

    It is alleged that Mentzer concocted a story saying the ‘girls’ phones had died’ and they were ‘really drunk’ and he was ‘worried about them’.

    Victoria Police launched an urgent investigation and Mentzer was arrested on May 9.

    Investigators seized Mentzer’s phone and allegedly discovered he had hired a private investigator to ‘conduct surveillance’ on the woman.

    Mentzer, who purported to be the woman’s ‘current partner’, sent the private eye the alleged victim’s address, vehicle information and her photos.

    The court heard the private eye conducted ‘static surveillance’ at the woman’s Sydney home on May 2.

    The private eye, who had no idea the woman was not Mentzer’s partner, also took video of the woman’s husband while at the Sydney address.

    Senior Constable Randle said the private investigator had been in contact and had provided key evidence to police.

    Police also allegedly found instructions and receipts for spy cameras, secretly recorded vision of the woman and her husband, and search results for the Chapel Street bar. 

    Senior Constable Randle said police remanded Mentzer and wanted him kept behind bars for the safety of the alleged victim.

    ‘The contents of the phone show the accused is obsessed with the victim and he’s engaging in a pattern of behaviour to locate her,’ Senior Constable Randle told the court.

    ‘Police are extremely concerned about his behaviour. As a result of the current incidents, the accused… has been identified in need of immediate intensive risk management due to strong indication he is likely to cause severe harm to the affected person in the coming weeks…

    ‘In the case of the accused, he has displayed the following risk factors which [include]… a recent imminent end of relationship, the sustained stalking and severe controlling behaviours and severe jealousy.

    ‘Whilst there are no definitive means of predicting family violence homicide, the majority of lethal family violence incidents are shown to have previously had one or more of these risk factors [allegedly displayed by Mentzer] identified.

    ‘Meaning, their presence must be taken seriously, a Melbourne Family Violence Investigation Unit plan aims to mitigate these risk factors to prevent severe harm and even homicide in the context of family violence.

    ‘In the view of family violence investigators, the only effective risk-management strategy is to remand the accused in custody.’

    Senior Constable Randle also said Mentzer is ‘an unacceptable risk of imminently engaging in offending that severely jeopardises the safety and welfare of the victim’.

    ‘The accused has demonstrated that he is obsessed with the victim and is willing to go to any lengths to locate her,’ he added.

    ‘The accused has travelled interstate to try and see her and has behaved in an extremely erratic and frantic nature in the current incident, showing her photo to licensed premises to try and get her current location.

    ‘The victim is terrified of the accused and his escalating behaviour which has stemmed from her attempting to end the relationship with him.’

    Senior Constable Randle said Mentzer also allegedly ‘threatened to share intimate images of the victim’ to others, including her husband, which placed her in ‘further fear’.

    The specialist cop said Mentzer ‘appears narcissistic’ while ‘constantly blaming the victim’.

    ‘The victim is rightfully terrified of the accused and his escalating behaviours, police hold grave concerns for the victim and, as such, has requested the accused be remanded in custody,’ Senior Constable Randle said.

    Mentzer, who ran a part-heard bail application on Tuesday, will face court on May 25 to learn if he gains release from the Melbourne Assessment Prison. 



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleMedeama SC to be officially crowned GPL champions in special coronation clash
    Next Article ‘When Gambia face Africa’s best, our players deliver’ — McKinstry after drawing Ghana and Ivory Coast in 2027 AFCON qualifiers
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Trump and Netanyahu clash in ‘dramatic’ secret phone call over striking Iran as failed plot to topple Tehran regime is exposed

    May 20, 2026

    Boy, 17, arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after walker ‘was stabbed from behind at golf course’: Man in his 60s in critical condition in hospital

    May 20, 2026

    Villagers close roads and batten down the hatches as hundreds of travellers arrive for traditional 750-year-old horse fair

    May 20, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025139 Views

    Tech entrepreneur uses ChatGPT to create a personalised cancer vaccine for his DOG – and the breakthrough could soon help humans too

    March 14, 2026119 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 2025102 Views

    Meet the ISIS brides arriving in Australia TODAY – as Anthony Albanese tries to have it both ways

    May 7, 202671 Views
    Don't Miss
    Sports May 20, 2026

    ‘We are very excited by the 2027 AFCON qualifiers draw’

    Gambia head coach Johnathan McKinstry says his side is excited by the challenge of facing…

    “Even if you give me 1Billion naira I won’t do it” – Married woman tells man who asked her out

    Trump and Netanyahu clash in ‘dramatic’ secret phone call over striking Iran as failed plot to topple Tehran regime is exposed

    ‘When Gambia face Africa’s best, our players deliver’ — McKinstry after drawing Ghana and Ivory Coast in 2027 AFCON qualifiers

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    ‘We are very excited by the 2027 AFCON qualifiers draw’

    “Even if you give me 1Billion naira I won’t do it” – Married woman tells man who asked her out

    Trump and Netanyahu clash in ‘dramatic’ secret phone call over striking Iran as failed plot to topple Tehran regime is exposed

    Most Popular

    Breakthrough in search for missing San Francisco man who vanished in 2017

    November 19, 20240 Views

    “And she’s among the girls shouting” – Female congregant publicly declares crúsh during an anonymous Q&A session in church (WATCH)

    November 19, 20240 Views

    Tsikata praised Mahama’s govt because he enjoyed contracts under that regime

    November 20, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.