Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Brandon Thomas-Asante

    I was repeatedly raped in a previous relationship

    NDC’s Dorcas Naa Korku Afotey graduates with MSc in International Business

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»Sports»NRL star makes stunning move after accusing his club of making 35 of his team-mates ‘wrestle’ him in shocking punishment for being late to training
    Sports

    NRL star makes stunning move after accusing his club of making 35 of his team-mates ‘wrestle’ him in shocking punishment for being late to training

    Papa LincBy Papa LincFebruary 22, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read1 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    NRL star makes stunning move after accusing his club of making 35 of his team-mates ‘wrestle’ him in shocking punishment for being late to training
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    By ED CARRUTHERS, ASSISTANT SPORTS EDITOR, AUSTRALIA

    Published: 05:09 EST, 22 February 2026 | Updated: 05:28 EST, 22 February 2026

    Jackson Topine has reportedly dropped his $4million legal claim against the Canterbury Bulldogs, in which he had alleged that the club subjected him to a humiliating wrestling punishment after being late for a training session in 2023.

    As part of the lawsuit, Topine claimed that he had allegedly been forced to wrestle up to 35 team-mates in quick succession as a punishment for being late to a 90-minute training session on July 18, 2023. 

    The Bulldogs had vehemently denied any wrongdoing. 

    Canterbury bosses stood by Topine’s sanction, which was issued by high-performance manager Travis Touma.

    Topine alleged that Touma refused to end the punishment, despite the Canterbury second-row showing signs of distress and exhaustion. 

    As part of the claim, it was also alleged that Touma refused to let other players help Topine, with the 24-year-old said to have been so physically spent afterwards that he was unable to stand and walk without help. 

    NRL star makes stunning move after accusing his club of making 35 of his team-mates ‘wrestle’ him in shocking punishment for being late to training

    Former Canterbury player Jackson Topine (right) has dropped a $4million law suit against his old club following talks with Adam Driussi

    Mr Topine claimed in the civil suit that he had been allegedly forced to wrestle up to 35 team-mates in quick succession as a punishment for being late to a 90-minute training session on July 18, 2023

    Mr Topine claimed in the civil suit that he had been allegedly forced to wrestle up to 35 team-mates in quick succession as a punishment for being late to a 90-minute training session on July 18, 2023 

    The club explained that it had lasted for six minutes and was ‘of-a-kind of disciplinary responses that is common among NRL clubs’.

    ‘The board unanimously agreed that it would vigorously defend the club and its employee Travis Touma, against the claim lodged today by a former player,’ Canterbury chairman Adam Driussi said. 

    Topine, who was 22 when the incident took place, subsequently issued the legal proceedings in which he claimed he had suffered humiliation, fear and psychiatric injury.

    In his statement of claim, he said he had suffered ‘ongoing incapacity to play’. He added that the club should not have stopped paying his wages in November 2023.

    He was seeking damages of around $4m, which were said to be based on the average wage of players across an NRL career span.

    However, The Daily Telegraph now reports that the former Canterbury and Maori All-Stars player, who made 16 appearances for the Bulldogs between 2021 and 2023, has dropped the civil case.

    Topine reportedly met with Bulldogs boss Driussi in December as the club looked to find a resolution to the matter.

    The talks are believed to have played a major role in Topine’s decision to drop the case.

    As part of the civil suit, he claimed that he suffered humiliation and psychiatric distress

    As part of the civil suit, he claimed that he suffered humiliation and psychiatric distress

    Topine (top) would not play professional footy again, after he parted company with the Bulldogs in 2023

    Topine (top) would not play professional footy again, after he parted company with the Bulldogs in 2023 

    Bulldogs bosses will be breathing a sigh of relief that the unwanted distraction has been dropped just before the start of the new NRL season. The civil proceedings would have meant that some of the club’s biggest names would have been required to give evidence.

    Coach Cameron Ciraldo and head of football Phil Gould would have been included.

    Gould had backed the intensity of the training session, given that the club had been struggling in the league at the time. 

    ‘We’re the worst team in the competition right now and have been for some time,’ Gould said on the Six Tackles With Gus podcast in August 2023. 

    ‘The coach [Ciraldo] and the staff are certainly making no apologies for the intensity with which they train.’

    Meanwhile, many of Topine’s former team-mates would have also been asked to take the stand.

    The footy player was expected to issue subpoenas to give evidence to several players who have since left the club, including Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Jayden Okunbor and Chris Patolo.

    Topine, who also captained NSW and Australian schoolboy sides, has not played professionally since. 

    Share or comment on this article:
    NRL star makes stunning move after accusing his club of making 35 of his team-mates ‘wrestle’ him in shocking punishment for being late to training



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleThe moving story of a man who has vowed to never leave his wife’s side over her mental illness
    Next Article King Charles needs to admit what he knew about Andrew, when he found out and what he did about it, Royal expert insists
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Brandon Thomas-Asante

    February 22, 2026

    Arteta clashes with journalist over ‘bottlers’ label during press conference

    February 22, 2026

    Watch how Ghana’s legendary goalkeeper Robert Mensah was given a hero’s farewell in 1971

    February 22, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025122 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 202556 Views

    Night Of The Samurai Grand Arrivals Gallery » December 23, 2025

    December 24, 202554 Views

    Here’s why Ghana Airways collapsed in 2004

    November 5, 202454 Views
    Don't Miss
    Sports February 22, 2026

    Brandon Thomas-Asante

    Brandon Thomas-Asante is back in action after serving a three-game suspension for Coventry City in…

    I was repeatedly raped in a previous relationship

    NDC’s Dorcas Naa Korku Afotey graduates with MSc in International Business

    Pictured: Man, 20, stabbed to death in skate park attack as teenager, 17, still fights for life in hospital

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Brandon Thomas-Asante

    I was repeatedly raped in a previous relationship

    NDC’s Dorcas Naa Korku Afotey graduates with MSc in International Business

    Most Popular

    OK Frimpong reveals why he ‘singlehandedly’ sponsored Medikal’s O2 Ingido (London) occasion

    October 18, 20240 Views

    Seven dead after ferry dock gangway collapses on Georgia’s Sapelo Island

    October 20, 20240 Views

    WAEC releases 2024 BECE results; cancels entire results of 41 candidates

    October 20, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.