Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    What's Hot

    Ashimeru sent off 16 minutes into first RAAL La Louviere start

    E-Money takes action against Carter Efe after damaging new car gifted to him

    Afenyo-Markin calls for real development, not political slogans

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Lifestyle
    • Africa News
    • International
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports
    Subscribe
    PapaLincPapaLinc
    You are at:Home»News»International»Second body pulled from freezing water during major search operation off Yorkshire coast – as rescue mission for one swimmer continues into the night after death of man, 67
    International

    Second body pulled from freezing water during major search operation off Yorkshire coast – as rescue mission for one swimmer continues into the night after death of man, 67

    Papa LincBy Papa LincJanuary 2, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read2 Views
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Second body pulled from freezing water during major search operation off Yorkshire coast – as rescue mission for one swimmer continues into the night after death of man, 67
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Email


    A second body has been pulled from freezing waters during a major search operation off the Yorkshire Coast. 

    Rescue crews launched a dramatic search following reports of a ‘number of people in difficulty in the water’, near Withernsea, East Riding of Yorkshire, on Friday afternoon as an Arctic chill grips Britain.

    It comes after a pensioner, aged 67, who was also pulled from the water, was pronounced dead. 

    Humberside Police confirmed the second body was recovered earlier this evening and that they remain at the scene, searching for one more person who entered the water this afternoon. 

    It comes just hours after a man in his 50s died after getting into difficulty at Brighton beach on New Year’s Day. 

    HM Coastguard, Yorkshire Ambulance Service, Humberside Police, and Humberside Fire and Rescue all scrambled crews to Withernsea at around 3.15pm to try and rescue those in the freezing sea.

    Yorkshire Ambulance Service initially said four people had entered the water. But by 7.15pm on Friday, HM Coastguard said it was searching for two people, having previously said it was reporting to ‘a number of people in difficulty in the water’. 

    Humberside Police has confirmed that a 67-year-old man was pulled from the water, but tragically died shortly after at the scene. The rescue operation is continuing into the night.

    Second body pulled from freezing water during major search operation off Yorkshire coast – as rescue mission for one swimmer continues into the night after death of man, 67

    Emergency services gathered at the scene amid the ongoing major rescue operation 

    HM Coastguard deployed a helicopter to the scene

    HM Coastguard deployed a helicopter to the scene 

    Eyewitnesses reported seeing flashing blue lights across the promenade

    Eyewitnesses reported seeing flashing blue lights across the promenade 

    HM Coastguard and Humberside Police were among the services called to the scene

    HM Coastguard and Humberside Police were among the services called to the scene 

    A spokesperson for Humberside Police said earlier this evening: ‘During the initial searches, emergency services recovered an unconscious man from the water. Despite the best efforts we can confirm a 67-year-old man died a short time later at the scene. 

    ‘The circumstances around his death are not thought to be suspicious. Searches are still ongoing. Residents will continue to see an increased police presence in and around the area as the search continues.

    ‘We would ask people to please avoid the area to allow emergency services to work efficiently and safely.’ 

    It comes just one day after people were not allowed to enter the sea for the annual New Year’s Day swim event due to large breaking waves, and amid a yellow weather warning for snow and ice on the Yorkshire coast. 

    Snow showers are expected overnight, with the Met Office reporting a likelihood of around one to three cm of snow, with up to eight cm possible in places. 

    It’s due to an Arctic chill, with the Met Office expecting daytime temperatures across the UK to struggle to breach 0C (32F) and could even fall into the minus double digits over the coming days.

    The search has been ongoing for much of the afternoon and into Friday evening.  

    Resident Darrin Stevens told the BBC he had seen lots of emergency crews near the beach on Friday, adding: ‘It’s just blue lights, wall-to-wall from one side to the other’. 

    Another eyewitness, Karen Higgs, claimed a teenage girl had fallen into the sea. 

    She told The Telegraph people had attempted to pull her back to safety with a safety ring, but that she ‘never tried to catch it’. 

    ‘We were all shouting at her to catch it, catch it’, she said. ‘She just didn’t. Then she was going out further. Every time she went out she came in harder.

    Crews remain on the promenade and have urged residents to avoid the area

    Crews remain on the promenade and have urged residents to avoid the area 

    The major rescue operation has pulled together all emergency services in the area

    The major rescue operation has pulled together all emergency services in the area 

    Paul Whitehead, the owner of Castle Cafe on the promenade, told The Telegraph the sea was so rough that the girl, who he estimated to be around 15 years old, ‘got washed away’. 

    He added that four men who were on the promenade went to help, along with the girl’s parents.  

    ‘The young girl had hold of the ring but was hit by a wave and couldn’t hold on and went under,’ he said. 

    Earlier this evening, HM Coastguard issued a statement which read: ‘HM Coastguard is searching for two missing people in the water off Withernsea today, 2 January.

    ‘First alerted to reports of people in difficulty in the water at around 3.10pm, assets sent to the scene include an HM Coastguard search and rescue helicopter and fixed-wing aircraft, Coastguard Rescue Teams from Withernsea, Hornsea and Hull, the RNLI’s inshore lifeboat from Withernsea and all-weather lifeboat from Bridlington, and Hornsea Inshore Rescue.

    ‘Yorkshire Ambulance Service has been sent as well as an air ambulance. Humberside Police and Humberside Fire and Rescue are also in attendance.’



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Previous Article2026 World Darts Championship semi-final: RECAP as Luke Littler and Gian van Veen set up thrilling title decider by beating Ryan Searle and Gary Anderson
    Next Article 2 Second Chance members dead, about 21 injured in road crash
    Papa Linc

    Related Posts

    Urgent hunt for missing sisters, aged 10 and 16, who vanished from London on Friday

    February 22, 2026

    Terrified tourists in Puerto Vallarta watch shops and pharmacies get torched to the ground and toxic fumes blanket beaches: Live updates

    February 22, 2026

    American tourists left stranded in beautiful Mexico hotspot as cartels torch cars and wreak havoc in ‘code red’ attack

    February 22, 2026
    Ads
    Top Posts

    Secret code break that ‘solved’ the Zodiac killer case: Expert who unmasked single suspect behind two of America’s darkest murders tells all on bombshell investigation

    December 24, 2025122 Views

    Newsreader Sandy Gall personally lobbied Margaret Thatcher’s government to back the Mujahideen

    July 4, 202556 Views

    Night Of The Samurai Grand Arrivals Gallery » December 23, 2025

    December 24, 202554 Views

    Here’s why Ghana Airways collapsed in 2004

    November 5, 202454 Views
    Don't Miss
    Sports February 22, 2026

    Ashimeru sent off 16 minutes into first RAAL La Louviere start

    Ghana midfielder Majeed Ashimeru endured a frustrating afternoon after being sent off less than 20…

    E-Money takes action against Carter Efe after damaging new car gifted to him

    Afenyo-Markin calls for real development, not political slogans

    Urgent hunt for missing sisters, aged 10 and 16, who vanished from London on Friday

    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • WhatsApp

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest headlines from PapaLinc about news & entertainment.

    Ads
    About Us
    About Us

    Your authentic source for news and entertainment.
    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Email Us: info@papalinc.com
    For Ads on our website and social handles.
    Email Us: ads@papalinc.com
    Contact: +1-718-924-6727

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Ashimeru sent off 16 minutes into first RAAL La Louviere start

    E-Money takes action against Carter Efe after damaging new car gifted to him

    Afenyo-Markin calls for real development, not political slogans

    Most Popular

    OK Frimpong reveals why he ‘singlehandedly’ sponsored Medikal’s O2 Ingido (London) occasion

    October 18, 20240 Views

    Seven dead after ferry dock gangway collapses on Georgia’s Sapelo Island

    October 20, 20240 Views

    WAEC releases 2024 BECE results; cancels entire results of 41 candidates

    October 20, 20240 Views
    © 2026 PapaLinc. Designed by LiveTechOn LLC.
    • News
      • Africa News
      • International
    • Entertainment
      • Lifestyle
      • Movies
      • Music
    • Politics
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.